How Many Processes are You running?

24 with apps running

17 on startup including av

edit: y don't u post your whole taskmanager if you actually want some answers and your msconfig  :huh:

585010632[/snapback]

MSCONFIG is the WORST thing you can do to your computer. Just do things manually or via another applications. Anything besides MSCONFIG. It disables more things than you think of and it doesn't even tell you or show you. Even Microsoft says not to use it and ONLY use it for diagnosing and never keep it on Selective Startup. You should always have it back to Normal Startup once you have fixed your problem.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO to MSConfig

Or just switch to Linux and never have a problem again (after you set your system up right first of course).

Okay, I ran Bootvis and it looks like its the Logging on bit that is taking up the 70 seconds :( It would also be believable, as the Loading Screen goes by twice, then takes ages on the "Welcome to Windows" and then loading the START bar and such. DOWNLOAD the file it gave me.

I also need a UXTheme.dll that works :( I did use the one from here, but it doesnt work - I still need StyleXP to run my themes :( :(

Hmm, now I am stuck of what to do.

BitComet does not run at Startup

Winamp doesnt either.

GMail thing does

AC Plug_IO Plus does, its what makes me connect to the net at Startup (recommended?)

MSN Doesnt run at Startup either.

Pete

Okay, here is my whole Task Manager:

task_big.JPG

I got it down to start at the 34/35 Process's when booting up though :p

AND ended some stuff svchost.exe ran, as I didnt need it.

Pete

Yea, did that Black Viper one, and changed things, but only to the "SAFE" one.

I might have a look at what is currently running, then see what it says about going further down.

Also, a little stuck for my version of Windows. See Attachment.

2600 does not appear to be in the list?

Pete

Edited by wizzer

all virus scanners run alot of junk.

try disabling as much on start up

Start > Run > Msconfig > startup

and disable the ones you know you NEED.

also check

Start > All Programs > Startup

and make sure things you need are in that folder (if you need any).

you can also run ad-aware 6 and spy-bot and clean out the ads and stuff... should delete 1-2 process? maybe none... but its a good idea to run :D

14 running - fully functional xp pro sp2

Without doubt blackvipers guide is superb read it through and dont skip.

Antivirus = nod32 = the best !

Firewall = jetico ! currently at RC, Again a superb program. like nod32 with very small footprint.

Also try this '' Windows XP Universal Tweaker v0.2 by The NGO Group''

link http://www.newgenerationorder.org/ :D

Cant believe how many some of you guys are running or should i say trying to run. :no:

I had to post on this thread as i am quiet passionate on this issue and to top it off i,ve not posted for ages but visit here everyday without fail - reason found my password ! :whistle:

I have 19 on boot (YzToolbar & Dock, Konfabulator, MBM5, Diskeeper are the non-essentials) and might get up to 25 if I'm doing reports and studying for school or doing medical research for work.