Netscape Browser Prototype

hey i need regsitration code,can anyone host the file for download?

585015598[/snapback]

Yeah I've noticed that too. A direct link would be nice, what version/build is it btw? Netscape 8?

@Rudy

yeah 4.7 was a very nice browser :happy:

microsoft just needs to add tabbed browsing to IE already!! then i'll switch back... firefox is buggy.. i don't care what anyone says.. one thing is the status bar... it's never doing what it should be doing... it gets stuck.. and when you mouse over link nothing happens... and other things i've noticed... don't get me wrong.. i love it.. but hate to love it

Netscape 3.14 Gold mofo!!!

"We hope that everyone is as excited as we are about the new Browser Prototype. We have reached the number of users that we want for the Prototype test, so the registration code will be disabled shortly.

Thanks,

The Netscape Product Team"

From here : http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=165115

This is referring to the code prototype1104

Bummer we have to wait... unless someone wants to post the installer :p

Installing now,

First Impressions:

It uses NSIS, that's cool, although I expected the Mozilla one.

It's called "Netscape Browser", not 'Netscape Navigator', 'Netscape 7.3', 'Netscape 8', Netscape Communicator', 'Netscape Suite', etc.

The skin is hideous, I couldn't resize the top left corner to reduce the size of this monstrosity. No default/Windows looking theme was availible either.

After cleaning up some of the crappy toolbar buttons that bloat up the interface, I conclude that it sucks, the only feature worth anything is "Display like Internet Explorer" that uses the MSHTML rendering engine for some sites (Microsoft.com and Windows Update by default) and maybe the Form Filler, if that appeals to use.

Other than that it has some options that you could find in Tabbed Browsing Extensions, in summery, It's not very different from previous Netscape 6+ releases, and if it's final is anything like this, AOL is still ****ting on the Netscape brand.

Download:

http://ftp.netscape.com/pub/netscape/kqnf_...rSetup-Full.exe

i played around with it and its

1) ugly

2) the UI is confusing

3) bloat!!! firefox is a 4.7MB download, this is 11.1MB, wtf?

4) based on Firefox 0.9.3? Its just a bunch of extensions and a new skin, get with 1.0

5) it appears pop-ups are allowed on all AOL properties

6) no clear advantage over Firefox

Installing now,

First Impressions:

It uses NSIS, that's cool, although I expected the Mozilla one.

It's called "Netscape Browser", not 'Netscape Navigator', 'Netscape 7.3', 'Netscape 8', Netscape Communicator', 'Netscape Suite', etc.

The skin is hideous, I couldn't resize the top left corner to reduce the size of this monstrosity. No default/Windows looking theme was availible either.

After cleaning up some of the crappy toolbar buttons that bloat up the interface, I conclude that it sucks, the only feature worth anything is "Display like Internet Explorer" that uses the MSHTML rendering engine for some sites (Microsoft.com and Windows Update by default) and maybe the Form Filler, if that appeals to use.

Other than that it has some options that you could find in Tabbed Browsing Extensions, in summery, It's not very different from previous Netscape 6+ releases, and if it's final is anything like this, AOL is still ****ting on the Netscape brand.

585015759[/snapback]

downloading :yes:

Downloading too...

Looks awful though - the least I'd expect is a normal window.

I think it would look better on Windows 9x than Windows XP.?:xx

585015886[/snapback]

Don't think it would make much of a difference. The browser seems to be skinning itself, it only uses the systems' scroll bars. I think this browser could be promising but they need to dump the look, never liked the v7 look either.

Edited by XP_01

OMG!! it integrates both gecko and IE!! Like on my site I see CSS2 and 3 elements fully supported as in Firefox, but Microsoft and even Windowsupdate work perfectly too :blink:

OMG!! it integrates both gecko and IE!! Like on my site I see CSS2 and 3 elements fully supported as in Firefox, but Microsoft and even Windowsupdate work perfectly too  :blink:

585015960[/snapback]

I would love to see this feature back ported into Firefox, obviously only enabled for *.microsoft.com by default (Y)

this is what i could to do for making it less cluttered

the concept is fine but it isn't worked out yet, like that netscape animated logo on the top-left but it's too big

post-69181-1101836115_thumb.jpg