1 Gbps For Swedish Home Users!

Dam ... sits down and crys at the speeds we get in the UK

585017090[/snapback]

The speeds are in the UK are shoking. Sometimes it makes me break down and cry :cry: j/k :p

I mean we've had 10mbit full duplex for 6 years now as something that is widly accesibly to home users and for very cheap $20/month. I mean 2.5/0.8mbit ADSL I got around 1999, which is quite some time ago. And 2 years ago I upgraded to 8/1mbit ADSL.

I live just too far away to get a full 13/13 mbit VDSL for $40/month. Many of my friends are sitting with 26/26mbit VDSL links.

100Mbit is now avalible to any1 who had the 10mbit service, and those are about 35% of the broadband population, so its pretty well done with broadband here, even thought the most common ISP has put a cap of 300GB/month on the 100mbit serice (more BW can be bought at 200GB/20$). I think that the cap will disappear soon, as it seems alteast.

1 Gbps is damn much and what comes next is scary to think of!

Well, we've got 25 MB ADSL 2+ broadband for only 30 ? in France, that's enough for now...

Lucky are the Swedish (only for Stockholm?), so sorry for the Brits;);)

why the hell can't we get a decent internet connection in the UK thats decently priced! a 1Gbps connection in the UK will cost ?230,000/mo!!

(old figure, dunno the new one but im sure it would be even higher!)

why the hell can't we get a decent internet connection in the UK thats decently priced! a 1Gbps connection in the UK will cost ?230,000/mo!!

(old figure, dunno the new one but im sure it would be even higher!)

585033985[/snapback]

Too right I pay ?40/m for a 2mb line.:cry:y:

• 3 months later...

It seems like anyone who's anything has a POP in Stockholm. So far I've found Level 3, BT, and Global Crossing to be there. Strangely enough, the carrier that I believe has the largest European presense isn't in the Nordics at all (Cogent). Most of the carrier hotels are on the mainland anyway, so that is probably where they go to.

The cost of providing the backend on GigE services isn't that much since an ISP can bank on there not being a whole lot of off-net traffic due to limited access on the other side. I'd be surprised if a carrier offering GigE to the home has much more than an aggregate of dual 10GigE connections to the outside world. When you buy IP on these kinds of levels, it becomes very cheap. If you're big enough, you don't have to even pay for your bandwidth, as carriers will want to connect to you for free.

Labs2 seems to have connections to BT, Global Crossing, and Telnor (out of Norway).

Download speeds on 1Gbps shouldnt exeed 700kb/s - 1mb/s, thats the speed most servers can upload at...

Who would need 1gbps? The only way to enjoy it is to use P2P applications! (and bittorrent)

Nice thread revival johan_hammy :)

thts true! the fastest r the SATA hdd's and they max at abt 150 to 200mbps

585022832[/snapback]

Are you serious?

1. SATA is not even remotely the fastest. Ever heard of SCSI?

2. 150-200Mbps? Are you nuts? That's about 20MB/s! They can do better than that!

Nice thread revival johan_hammy :)

Are you serious?

1. SATA is not even remotely the fastest. Ever heard of SCSI?

2. 150-200Mbps? Are you nuts? That's about 20MB/s! They can do better than that!

585591380[/snapback]

Yup... it's Mega Bytes, not Mega Bits.

SATA-150 = 150MB/s... Mega Bytes!

to the guy who pays 110usd for a 6mbps is gettin ripped man. up here in canada i get 5mpbs for 39.99 which is pretty good. the only downside is nex month they are implenting a cap at 60 gb down and up.

New York... Optimum Online afaik.

585017895[/snapback]

yeah, but you cant use all of your upstream (1mbps) or you get capped down to 56kish speed:crazy:y: thats why im waiting for FIOS!

Thats insane, I'm happy with the 10mb I have here in Australia. Next year our ISPs are moving too 24mb ADSL lines and when DOCSIS 2 finally get implemented we'll have 30mb connections.