I HATE SP2!

thanks for the link :)

also, is the iso created by autostreamer bootable?

and if i use nlite to remove files in the iso, would it still be bootable after im done?

maybe it's just me, but I don't think any company ( not even M$ ) has the athority to release an update that causes soo many users to format their computers... out of personal hatred for SP2 I have switched to Windows Server 2003 and may I say that it's been totally awesome.

If you don't want to mess with the bull**** that comes with SP2 then use Windows 2000 Pro or 2003 Enterprise

*note* yes I am a gamer and YES server 2003 is fully capable of playing games on and a whole lot less garbage in the OS than XP has.

585048789[/snapback]

I have installed XP on MANY machines, even before it was finalized and I have NEVER had a problem (or heard of a problem) where the update caused the user to format the machine that couldn't have been fixed other ways.

Microsoft can not go through and test their updates with every program to make sure that it will not break that said program that was ever made. They also cannot go out and acquire every piece of hardware available to make sure SP2 will not break a computer using a Modem from the 1990's.

The poster has admitted his fault and has learned a lesson. It wasn't SP2's fault that he didn't restart when it asked him to and then he "restarted the computer by pressing the button on the back of the computer". I suppose that was Microsoft's fault also?

On the subject of Using a Windows Server as a Workstation OS, we don't want to go there so I will leave that comment alone.

thanks for the link  :)

also, is the iso created by autostreamer bootable?

and if i use nlite to remove files in the iso, would it still be bootable after im done?

585051609[/snapback]

I am pretty sure AutoStreamer will make the CD bootable.

With your track record and the amount of knowledge you currently possess troubleshooting computers, I would stay far far away from editing the Windows Setup CD unless you are willing to take the risk of having stuff not work and problems down the road.

SP2 has given me alotta problems. Right now Im logged into a user account, yet it shows no evidence whatsoever in XP that im logged into that account. It like its logged into a blank user account or something. Yeah, its wierd.

so what do you suggest i do? go ahead and give it a try or just leave my computer the way it is?

585053911[/snapback]

I would say to try it now. Make sure all of your Drivers are updated with ones WHQL certified from Microsoft because that is what I think your problem may have been on the last install. You mentioned a blue screen that flashed for a second, and this is what is giving me this idea.

I bet you have a nVidia video card don't ya?

w00t. i used autostream to make my custom iso...then i used nlite to remove the things i didnt want..and now...IT WORKS! :happy: woot. finally, sp2 is installed on my computer :D :D

and yes..i do have a nvidia video card

gawd i dont miss xp i have been dealing with problems like this for months with xp based systems that have installed sp2

thank god for 2k and 2k3 so much less crap to deal with :)

oh and DONT use norton with sp2 it has been the root of about 1/3 of the problems with client systems if you need/want an all in one av/security suit try f-secure ( http://www.f-secure.com ) its FAR better uses less resorces and wont fook up with sp2 :)

People have fixed slow boot problems with a clean install, slipstreamed. Sorry, that's all I can think of. My bootscreen displays for less than 10 seconds. I slipstreamed the service pack and installed fresh, I never did an upgrade. (Which means absolutely nothing to you since my computer isn't your computer :pinch: )

F-Secure...my college uses that, it seems to work for them.

Edited by Ned

oh.....

...Ok then :laugh:

Also seems I hadn't really caught up with the conversation. I was missing several pages of forum post-- logged off computer, came back, and didn't hit refresh before posting. I see you did end up slipstreaming it.....but I was going to reccomend using*......oh wait ... you did use nlite. :p

Edited by Ned

i did hate windows 3.11 @ 95 @ 98 @ ME @ XP :;)

but well you learn to live with them and

it for sure gets better with up to date hardware.

*currently i hate Linux*

and guess i will hate "longhorn" to later ;)

hope you get your sp2 to work a slipstream is always best.

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i dont like sp2 no more...when i use bit torrent...the average download speed is 2kb/s :( i downloaded this "crack" that makes the TCP thing from 10 to 50...but now the download average speed is 20kb/s...how do i make it go back to 100kb/s...just like before i installed sp2? o.O

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i dont like sp2 no more...when i use bit torrent...the average download speed is 2kb/s :( i downloaded this "crack" that makes the TCP thing from 10 to 50...but now the download average speed is 20kb/s...how do i make it go back to 100kb/s...just like before i installed sp2? o.O

585055859[/snapback]

The "crack" will do nothing for this problem. BudMan explains this the best.

Unless you are seeing the 4226 errors in your event log, this change in functionality has no effect on your connection at ALL.? Have you seen 4226 events in your event log?? SP2 did NOT change the number of connections you can have open, etc.. only the number of INCOMPLETE connections that can be attempted per second, etc.. See below - and the link to MS

And even if you are seeing them - I would suggest you track down WHAT exactly is causing your machine to create connection attempts that do not get answered at a rate of more than 10 per second, since why would you want to try and make connections to things that do not respond, etc...? I would look to what would be doing this, before looking to some hack to try and correct something you may or may not even have an issue with.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...n/sp2netwk.mspx[/urLimited number of simultaneous incomplete outbound TCP connection attempts/b>

The TCP/IP stack now limits the number of simultaneoincomplete outbound/b> TCP connection attempts. After the limit has been reached, subsequent connection attempts are put in a queue and will be resolved at a fixed rate. Under normal operation, when applications are connecting to available hosts at valid IP addresses, no connection rate-limiting will occur.? When it does occur, a new event, with ID 4226, appears in the system?s event log.

That sounds right to me.

having a network on SP2 is a nightmare. They didnt change it in Sp2 RC2, but in the final it was different...and i know for a fact, it has A LOT of bugs in it. When i try to create a home network, it should work..like Sp1 did, but NOOOO SP2 has to be told several hundred times, but a restart and a dial up again and then if it feels like it, it might actually work.

585055859[/snapback]

Now it's plain to see why you were having so many problems with SP2. Downlaoding cracks and warez and stuff. Wonder how infected that machine is/was?

i normally don't have problems, too. and I'm nerved about people who always shout about microsoft products, and last, they use it anyway. i'm working with ms products since the good old dos time, and of course, i often have some kind of problems or bugs, but every product has it.

i just wanted to say, that there's that little bug combination of sp2 and large fonts. :no: