• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Server advice

Question

rageagainstmachine    39

What kind of server software would you require for online gaming? Do you need specific server software for the particular game. Take HL 2 for example.

Thanks in advance

4 answers to this question

skullbox15    0
What kind of server software would you require for online gaming? Do you need specific server software for the particular game.  Take HL 2 for example.

Thanks in advance

585051767[/snapback]

I don't do gaming servers, but I'm pretty sure you would need a windows box. I doubt M$ would let you host network games on a dedicated Linux/UNIX server.

I know someone who has a dedicated local game server. It is quite an expensive machine because it has a few high-end SCSI disks.

random_user_uk_1234    0
I don't do gaming servers, but I'm pretty sure you would need a windows box.  I doubt M$ would let you host network games on a dedicated Linux/UNIX server.

What does Microsoft have to do with hosting games?

+forster    188

Half Life 2 (AFAIK) has both a Linux and Windows server options. What you should do, is make a list of 5 to 10 games that you want to serve, and see what servers are available, not the other way round. Most of the more popular games (UT for example) have Linux server programs if you want to run a dedicated.

Personally, I would say get a moderate linux box with decent RAM, and a really decent cable connection and go nuts.

=Syntax=    0

None ! Basically all you need is the game itself, so you can fire up a server, open ports in your router if you have one, and make sure the game server is by itself rather than making a server on one a machine, and playing in it with the same machine. simple simple.....Remember, the more memory install smoothes out server play, and, at least a broadband connection with at least a 640k or higher upstream bandwidth..