PSP Review & HQ Pics

From our friends at Lik-Sang, a review of the hardware with some interesting data on load times and HQ pics...

http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3545

Loading time and battery life seem to be the big factors which decide about the PSPs success or failure in many gamers eyes right now. While we can't comment on the battery life as of yet, latest reports from Japan about loading times on demo units that actually have access to the games are as follows:

Ridge Racers:

? From power off to Namco logo and title: 16 seconds

? From selecting car/track to start the race: 14 seconds

? Exit the game back to car/track selection: 10 seconds

From our friends at Lik-Sang, a review of the hardware with some interesting data on load times and HQ pics...

http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3545

Loading time and battery life seem to be the big factors which decide about the PSPs success or failure in many gamers eyes right now. While we can't comment on the battery life as of yet, latest reports from Japan about loading times on demo units that actually have access to the games are as follows:

Ridge Racers:

? From power off to Namco logo and title: 16 seconds

? From selecting car/track to start the race: 14 seconds

? Exit the game back to car/track selection: 10 seconds

585064437[/snapback]

Yeah, those times are a bit high. I'll still be getting one tho as long as there are decent titles released (that wont be released elsewhere).

I didn't really want to create a new thread. Just some more details about the PSP's playback facilities from Memory Stick, this is from a PSP catalogue:

post-2629-1102532723_thumb.jpg

At the highest quality a 1GB MS will hold 250 minutes of video, that's over 4 hours of the highest quality :blink: quality! I imagine for most people Standard will doso a 512mb MS (not out of anyone's reach really, unlike the 1GB which at the moment is far too expensive) you're getting almost 4 hours :woot:

This is the sort of confirmation I've been waiting for :D Very cool IMO and I personally can't wait! The converting will be done by Image Converter 2, Sony will release a specific PSP version (beta) of it just after the Japan launch which is apparently a half decent piece of software (currently used for things like encoding film to put on Clie's). All's looking good multimedia wise, ignoring the UMD format for movies that is. Kinda defeats the point of that when you can buy the DVD, rip it and stick it on a Memory stick, who's gonna be buying UMD movies?

its getting close to the release date by the minute. cant wait.

edit: btw, i think its better for umd movies, cause of the 1.8g storage on those things, the quality of the movies prob be much better. but considering the price of the umd movies, screw it.

I didn't really want to create a new thread. Just some more details about the PSP's playback facilities from Memory Stick, this is from a PSP catalogue:

post-2629-1102532723_thumb.jpg

At the highest quality a 1GB MS will hold 250 minutes of video, that's over 4 hours of the highest quality :blink: quality! I imagine for most people Standard will doso a 512mb MS (not out of anyone's reach really, unlike the 1GB which at the moment is far too expensive) you're getting almost 4 hours :woot:

This is the sort of confirmation I've been waiting for :D Very cool IMO and I personally can't wait! The converting will be done by Image Converter 2, Sony will release a specific PSP version (beta) of it just after the Japan launch which is apparently a half decent piece of software (currently used for things like encoding film to put on Clie's). All's looking good multimedia wise, ignoring the UMD format for movies that is. Kinda defeats the point of that when you can buy the DVD, rip it and stick it on a Memory stick, who's gonna be buying UMD movies?

585066440[/snapback]

Too bad, doesnt matter how much memory you got, the battery doesn't last for movies more than 2 hours.

And besides, who the hell wants to watch a movie on a small screen? Doesn't make sense, go watch it on your dvd player on a big tv.

Telling me you going to watch it on a bus/train/plane makes me laugh, cause on a bus, the sound and crowding makes it impossible to concentrate. On a train, same reason and on a plane, they already show movies and such.

Waste of money, and purely a gimmick for people who like the spoil money for irrelevant gadgets.

Too bad, doesnt matter how much memory you got, the battery doesn't last for movies more than 2 hours.

And besides, who the hell wants to watch a movie on a small screen? Doesn't make sense, go watch it on your dvd player on a big tv.

Telling me you going to watch it on a bus/train/plane makes me laugh, cause on a bus, the sound and crowding makes it impossible to concentrate. On a train, same reason and on a plane, they already show movies and such.

Waste of money, and purely a gimmick for people who like the spoil money for irrelevant gadgets.

585066841[/snapback]

Link where it says 2 hours for media playback off of a memory stick? Oh right, you pulled it out of your ass. Quote from Sony:

"PSP features an integrated high output lithium-ion battery that provides a play time of between 4 and 6 hours for game titles and continuous 4 to 5 hours for video viewing."

So if I'm on the train or coach down to London, stick on a couple of episodes of Stargate and bring the headphones. There goes all your trolling comments straight out of the window.

Next time you see a PSP thread, don't bother clicking the link and trolling, that's what both the rules and that little warning bar next to your name is for.

And besides, who the hell wants to watch a movie on a small screen?

I dunno? Nintendo? They obviously thought it was OK, that's why you can buy episodes of Pokemon on GBA carts.

585066841[/snapback]

ever heard of ear phones? not a new invention but one that seems to have escaped you...

Link where it says 2 hours for media playback off of a memory stick? Oh right, you pulled it out of your ass. Quote from Sony:

"PSP features an integrated high output lithium-ion battery that provides a play time of between 4 and 6 hours for game titles and continuous 4 to 5 hours for video viewing."

So if I'm on the train or coach down to London, stick on a couple of episodes of Stargate and bring the headphones. There goes all your trolling comments straight out of the window.

Next time you see a PSP thread, don't bother clicking the link and trolling, that's what both the rules and that little warning bar next to your name is for.

I dunno? Nintendo? They obviously thought it was OK, that's why you can buy episodes of Pokemon on GBA carts.

585066877[/snapback]

Beautifully put my friend.

585066877[/snapback]

Pokemon is understandable because not every country you can watch pokemon cartoons.

Yet, buying same movies that you already have or seen on DVD or movies on UMD to watch it on a small screen is ludicrous and not cost effective.

What's even more sad, people are more exciting in watching movies than actually playing games on PSP, which I applaud Sony for its marketing practicies.

Manicdvln is a proven nintendo fanboy, by now we should know hes gonna troll in threads dealing with xbox, any sony product, well just let him be.

I havent owned a portable video game "console" since those thin gameboys came out, i might pick up one of these though.

Pokemon is understandable because not every country you can watch pokemon cartoons.

Yet, buying same movies that you already have or seen on DVD or movies on UMD to watch it on a small screen is ludicrous and not cost effective.

What's even more sad, people are more exciting in watching movies than actually playing games on PSP, which I applaud Sony for its marketing practicies.

585066943[/snapback]

Which part of loading them from the MemoryStick you didn't understand? No need to purchase UMDs with movies on it. You can take your own video content on a MemoryStick. And that way the motor on the PSP won't be active, and the battery will last even longer.

Now, really, you need to shut up. :rolleyes:

Haha, Pokemon not available in all countries? Ok, let's look at this. Main 2 markets, US and Japan? Check, pokemon everywhere. Europe, check! Pokemon is on in the UK and I even caught it in German when I was out there.

Goodbye to your pathetic "it's OK if Nintendo do it but no-one else" argument.

Uhh, the point of this being that if you own the DVD you don't have to rebuy anything. You simply dump the DVD onto a Memory stick, again, you look like an idiotic fanboy.

Hey, I'll buy it for the games but if I can watch a movie, stick a couple of albums on it and take some digital photos with me as well then why not? I just love your narrow mindedness, you really do look consistently foolish, you must enjoy it.

I really smell "Nintendo & DS Fanboy"... if we start a PS2 vs. GC thread, he'll say that the GC has better performance... no point arguing with him...

Yeah it will be such a pleasure to mobilize that behemoth with exposed LCD everywhere so you can watch stargate on a train. ROFL

Oh yeah, throw that ipod or digital camera away!!! No sir! PSP is here! With all its glory, now you can buy proprioety 1 gig mem sticks which cost as much a camera, and movies that you already have seen!

As we all know, we all have 2-3 hours of locomotion to do everyday to enjoy our movie hungry apetite. Or better yet! Watch pictures on a psp!

Hahahah, yeah, I'll bet most ppl who buy their PSP will have it plugged into their homes playing Ape escape and other redundant PS2 games.

Hey? What about I just play then on PS2? Nah, that is out of fashion, you wont be cool like that, so lets go buy additional 400$ junk and call it a value pack so we can impress strangers on the bus.

Myuu pretty much man. I just looked at this guys posts/threads he starts all dealing with Nintendo and how great/better all their products are compared to anything else. Pointless to argue with him

just to **** him off. The DS is a piece of crap and is gonna blow big time :devil:

Myuu pretty much man. I just looked at this guys posts/threads he starts all dealing with Nintendo and how great/better all their products are compared to anything else. Pointless to argue with him

just to **** him off. The DS is a piece of crap and is gonna blow big time :devil:

585067013[/snapback]

Posting flaime bait is agains the forum rules. Ask, Dazzla.

Yeah it will be such a pleasure to mobilize that behemoth with exposed LCD everywhere so you can watch stargate on a train. ROFL

That's what a carrying case is for, Mr. Brains...

Oh yeah, throw that ipod or digital camera away!!! No sir! PSP is here! With all its glory, now you can buy proprioety 1 gig mem sticks which cost as much a camera, and movies that you already have seen!

I don't have an iPod. iPods are just too expensive JUST for music... I'm an Apple fangirl, but Music-wise, I think that a MiniDisc with NetMD is more value.

As we all know, we all have 2-3 hours of locomotion to do everyday to enjoy our movie hungry apetite. Or better yet! Watch pictures on a psp!

I spend 4 hours travelling by bus and subway each day to go to University and to work. Yes, the PSP would be perfect purchase for me by looking at it from the point you just suggested.

Hahahah, yeah, I'll bet most ppl who buy their PSP will have it plugged into their homes playing Ape escape and other redundant PS2 games.

And Pikmin isn't redundant? Or Mario Party? Ok... you really need to stop making fanboy-ish comments. I have a GC and a PS2. I enjoy the best from both. Your narrow mind-ness prevents you from enjoying things to the fullest...

Hey? What about I just play then on PS2? Nah, that is out of fashion, you wont be cool like that, so lets go buy additional 400$ junk and call it a value pack so we can impress strangers on the bus.

So looking cool is bad... but looking like a stupid fanboy is good? I really don't understand the logic in that...

It's "girl"... ^^; But yah, I know that he is a fanboy... but you have to admit that arguing with fanboys is a lot of fun! :D

585067011[/snapback]

This post would be so easy to break down and make you look like an idiot. I'll just sum it up in a few points.

1. Exposed screen? OH NOES, my DS es exposed when I'm playing it with thumbprints all over the touch screen from Mario 64. Do I give a ****? When you've not using it, stick it in a carry case like I do with my DS.

2. Nah, I'll keep my nice 40GB iPod and $600 digital camera thanks :rolleyes: I'd love to know where we said this'll replace a digital camera :rolleyes:

3. MS as much as a camera? Nah, 512mb stick is ?45 here, about the price of 2 nice DVDs.

4. If it's only 5 minutes to kindergarten for you that's not my problem. Commuting is extremely common, and with MCE I can record some TV the night before and then stick it on a MS for the morning commute. Some of us go out and earn our money.

5. I love the way you say mock the concept of PS2 games on the PSP when the current system seller for the Nintendo DS is a rehash of an N64 game.

6. $400? Again, I get the recurring feeling I'm calling you an idiot. $190 for the PSP and current exchange rates with the Value pack at $230

You're making this far too easy...

"4. If it's only 5 minutes to kindergarten for you that's not my problem. Commuting is extremely common, and with MCE I can record some TV the night before and then stick it on a MS for the morning commute. Some of us go out and earn our money"

Personal attacks are no allowed in this forum, you should know this better than me.

Personal attacks are no allowed in this forum, you should know this better than me.

585067110[/snapback]

Trolls are kicked pretty hard in the ass here at Neowin, so stop acting like one and nobody will attack you.

Again, will a mod clean this thread of this stinking pile of Nintendo **** ... :x

go cry a river, maybe if you stopped fighting with everyone, dazzla is is just proving points which you seem to come back with stupid remarks and smart ass answers. You argue argue and argue maybe if you didnt create anti-sony posts/threads for every single one of your posts maybe people would be a lot nicer and wouldnt flame you. Deal with it, you brought it on yourself.