'gay Jesus' ?

CAH

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- A group of Christian protesters in Scotland has called on police to prosecute a theater company for blasphemy because it is putting on a play about a gay Jesus.

"If there is a blasphemy like this, Christians have to stand up," said Stephen Green of Christian Voice who protested outside a theatre showing Terence McNally's controversial play "Corpus Christi" at St Andrews University.

"Jesus Christ is being portrayed here as a foul-mouthed, drunken, promiscuous homosexual and that is an insult to my faith," Green told BBC Radio.

But the play's director, Zsuzsi Lyndsay, defended the production: "He is not portrayed as a drunken foulmouth. He doesn't say one bad word throughout the play."

Christian Voice was not placated. It has formally lodged a complaint with police, arguing that the American playwright's work was blasphemous. No decision has been taken yet.

source:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/12/10...reut/index.html

nowimnothing
LONDON, England (Reuters) -- A group of Christian protesters in Scotland has called on police to prosecute a theater company for blasphemy because it is putting on a play about a gay Jesus.

It has formally lodged a complaint with police, arguing that the American playwright's work was blasphemous.

585078195[/snapback]

uhm. can you actually be charged with that? :unsure:

CAH

585078211[/snapback]

News to me if blasphemy is againist any modern Laws. Perhaps JC will lodge a complaint ?

curme

Does it really matter if someone's savior is gay? It should be about the message, if his is a good person or not, not his sexual orientation.

EDIT: Q & A: Blasphemy law

The last man to be sent to prison for blasphemy was John William Gott. In 1922 he was sentenced to nine months' hard labour for comparing Jesus with a circus clown. In Scotland, there has not been a public prosecution since 1843.
ksalter

585078211[/snapback]

Look. I'd had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was 'That piece of hallibut was good enough for Jehovah'.

BLASHPHEMER!

PseudoRandomDragon

It is offensive, but no more offensive than South Park in that reguard.

TurboTuna

god, some ppl never give up

enklus

:wtf: - how stupid! People are too easely offended these days :pinch: :pinch:

Big Tex

if you want to beleive jesus was/is gay that is fine, but keep your sick ideas to yourself.

if you are gay that is fine, but don't push it on everyone else and quit all the flamming drama queen BS.

jesus does not like gays btw.

curme
if you want to beleive jesus was/is gay that is fine, but keep your sick ideas to yourself.

if you are gay that is fine, but don't push it on everyone else and quit all the flamming drama queen BS. 

585078853[/snapback]

Here's a better idea. Don't go to the play. ;)

dreamz

585078853[/snapback]

but you don't know otherwise. god is not known, since that would in fact nihilate the meaning of what it is to be god insofar as human determination of which within the human sphere would thereby reduce him to human terms.

moreover, you find the attribution disgusting, but it cannot itself be disgusting because:

1) you have not provided the metamoral system from which the judgmental claim can be derived.

2) the non-existence of such a theory would immediately invalidate the disgust associated with the attribution.

it therefore follows that you find it disgusting because of a prior belief; thus, it is not in itself disgusting. but that prior belief was itself not determined by itself, but determined a priori (since you cannot find the justification within the human sphere for the homosexuality of god or whatever divine entity we are discussing), but a priori does not mean necessary (or true).

thus, the ultimate conclusion of disgust is inherently arbitrary, and hence, not grounded within a particularly "true" community.

PseudoRandomDragon

It is quite obvious that the play was made to either sander Jesus, anger the belivers of Jesus, or just draw attention to the play.

Fotix

While I think drawing the conclusion that he was gay from the gospels is reaching a bit, i also think saying that the character depicted in the gospels was straight is also reaching a bit.

Big Tex
but you don't know otherwise.  god is not known, since that would in fact nihilate the meaning of what it is to be god insofar as human determination of which within the human sphere would thereby reduce him to human terms.

moreover, you find the attribution disgusting, but it cannot itself be disgusting because:

1) you have not provided the metamoral system from which the judgmental claim can be derived.

2) the non-existence of such a theory would immediately invalidate the disgust associated with the attribution.

it therefore follows that you find it disgusting because of a prior belief; thus, it is not in itself disgusting.  but that prior belief was itself not determined by itself, but determined a priori (since you cannot find the justification within the human sphere for the homosexuality of god or whatever divine entity we are discussing), but a priori does not mean necessary (or true).

thus, the ultimate conclusion of disgust is inherently arbitrary, and hence, not grounded within a particularly "true" community.

585078897[/snapback]

complete garbage :x

Who cares if god/jesus is or is not real when it comes to this argument. jesus was in a book called the bible, you may have heard of it. and despite what anyone thinks...

Jesus does not like gays in this book...

PseudoRandomDragon

Jesus teaches understanding and forgiveness. He didn't "not like" anyone, not even those that killed them.

DreAming in DigITal

Ummm...I think it is hilarious how "Christians" are some of the most intolerent and closed minded people in the world. God taught people to love and tolerate one another. He taught us that we are all his children and we're all brothers and sisters, he taught forgivness also. So why are "Christians" so intolerant of other peoples beliefs? Got me?

Maybe they are all like "Big Tex"

Big Tex

no really, he did not like gays, or lesbians for that matter

DreAming in DigITal

wonder if he liked bigots?

PseudoRandomDragon
wonder if he liked bigots?

585079077[/snapback]

OHHHHH burned!

TheElite
:wtf:  - how stupid! People are too easely offended these days  :pinch:  :pinch:

585078634[/snapback]

too easily offended?

you take the **** out of someone who is an integral part of somebodys belief and expect no uproar?

if they portrayed your mum as ...(anything bad like slut and ###### or whatever) and your dad as a paedophile, would you not tell them to stop the play, even then that WOULD NOT EVEN compare to calling somebody like Jesus gay.

585078853[/snapback]

tru dat.

PseudoRandomDragon
no really, he did not like gays, or lesbians for that matter

585079060[/snapback]

If that is true, if it is written in the Bible that Jesus didn't like/hated homosexuals, then the Bible is more tainted than I thought.

Big Tex

yes, that is in there, go read it.

also, did i ever say i was a christian, no....

i am a bigot, so what - i hate gays, muslims, junkies, french, etc...

everyone is a bigot in some way, they just don't come out and admit it like i do.

PseudoRandomDragon
yes, that is in there, go read it.

585079105[/snapback]

Maybe you should read it instead of repeating what your peers say what Jesus' philosophies were. I really don't think you read the Bible at all.

nowimnothing
too easily offended?

you take the **** out of someone who is an integral part of somebodys belief and expect no uproar?

if they portrayed your mum as ...(anything bad like slut and ###### or whatever) and your dad as a paedophile, would you not tell them to stop the play, even then that WOULD NOT EVEN compare to calling somebody like Jesus gay.

tru dat.

585079086[/snapback]

and the big whopping difference is.....

my "mum" and dad are real.

oh whoops. did i just offend you again?

Toxicfume
too easily offended?

tru dat.

585079086[/snapback]

So you are saying that someone dissing your parents wouldn't even compare to calling somebody like jesus gay? Well, thats your opinion, not a fact, just like how, for me, my parents are more important and come before any kind of god or "higher power".