[Definitive] Sony PSP Thread

Any word on how the mpeg4 videos need to be encoded?  Are there resolution limits or will it just scale it?

585085660[/snapback]

Custom Encoding program will be avalable soon after launch that will take care of encoding the movies for you.

MPEG4 videos will be encoded with Sony software, there's a version out at the moment called Image Converter, it's used to convert video for Sony Clie's, they'll be releasing version 2 which will add support for the PSP. Judging from the chart on the first page you probably pick the format (PSP) then the image quality (High, Standard, Low) and hit encode. I've never used the software personally though.

This is something I'm holding my breath for, waiting for the early adopters to test properly.

Well, if initial reports are even close to the truth then the battery life is doing a hell of a lot better than expected! 5 hours of ridge racer is a far cry from my worry of 2-3 hours. 10 hours MP3 playback ****es on my iPod and 4 hours UMD playback ****es on my uncles portable DVD player.

Still, not gonna stop me picking up a second battery :D

Well, if initial reports are even close to the truth then the battery life is doing a hell of a lot better than expected! 5 hours of ridge racer is a far cry from my worry of 2-3 hours. 10 hours MP3 playback ****es on my iPod and 4 hours UMD playback ****es on my uncles portable DVD player.

585085696[/snapback]

but your ipod has 20gb (or 40) and the psp got 32mb (value pack) unless you pay for couple hundred more for the max 1gb msduo. tee hee.

but your ipod has 20gb (or 40) and the psp got 32mb (value pack) unless you pay for couple hundred more for the max 1gb msduo. tee hee.

585085748[/snapback]

I can get a 512MB Duo over here for the price of two GameCube 251 memory cards. I'd say that'd be more than enough considering what you can store on it.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?act=...e=post&id=99405

Wow, the PSP looks so much brighter/clearer here.

I wonder how long the battery will last while watching movies through the memory stick since it won't need to access the UMD drive.

585085696[/snapback]

Just think, 4 hours UMD playback with constant UMD access......... What about playback from memory card, no laser to power, no motor to spin...... I really cant wait.

I can get a 512MB Duo over here for the price of two GameCube 251 memory cards. I'd say that'd be more than enough considering what you can store on it.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?act=...e=post&id=99405

Wow, the PSP looks so much brighter/clearer here.

585085786[/snapback]

That's what I was impressed with, the screen is so damn nice :| 2 512mb sticks is what I'll plump with probably. 1 with perhaps Movies and the other with Music and Photos. That is of course if the 1GB sticks haven't come down in price, hopefully the demand will mean prices get lowered.

I wonder how long the battery will last while watching movies through the memory stick since it won't need to access the UMD drive.

585085786[/snapback]

That's the figure I'm waiting on, I imagine we won't get it until Sony release Image Converter 2 though, unless someone manages to create a MP4 movies in the corrent format for PSP in the meantime. Here's hoping for around 6-8 hours :D Then all we need is a cheap high capacity memory stick to utilise it :D

I will be using my PSP for Gaming and Video playback. I have an iPod for music. what about everyone else?

585085797[/snapback]

Gaming primarily, then video on the go, then music (although it'll probably be a novelty then my iPod will take back over, I imagine some music will remain for custom game soundtracks) then photos. I still like the idea of taking some of my favorite pics with me.

Of course :D It'll be massively in depth of course with loads of movies and pics :D Figures and test results :D

But I imagine they'll be tonnes of that leading up to the March UK release date from Japanese Units. Saying that, if the prices come down to a respectable level I might pick up a Jap one in January/February...

Of course :D It'll be massively in depth of course with loads of movies and pics :D Figures and test results :D

But I imagine they'll be tonnes of that leading up to the March UK release date from Japanese Units. Saying that, if the prices come down to a respectable level I might pick up a Jap one in January/February...

585085859[/snapback]

Cool. Expect me to be drooling and mopeing allover your thread with envy. :pinch:

Anyways... i'm callin it a night. night peeps :sleep:

That's what I was impressed with, the screen is so damn nice :|

I'll say. In terms of screen quality, PSP certainly beats the DS with a stick. Do you have a direct link to the place where you got that image?

I'll say. In terms of screen quality, PSP certainly beats the DS with a stick. Do you have a direct link to the place where you got that image?

585085876[/snapback]

http://www.tgfcer.com/

They're really digging into the PSP, they've already hooked it up to the internet via a wireless router. Picked it up perfectly, they even connected to Sony's PSP update site to check for software updates :|

http://www.tgfcer.com/hardware/590.htm

well I honestly believe that if what was reported by CNET was true then gaming battery life will be between 3-4 hours of intensive gaming.

Othewise, they'll be making some mods.

well I honestly believe that if what was reported by CNET was true then gaming battery life will be between 3-4 hours of intensive gaming.

Othewise, they'll be making some mods.

585085889[/snapback]

The CNET report was based on interviews from a month ago, the figures coming out now are from people going to shops and buying them as we speak (it's early AM in Japan and stores have opened their doors to customers queuing). From what I've read on peoples personal experiences with battery life the CNET articleis erring on the low side.

Still, it'll only be a matter of hours before the big sites get their greasy mitts on it and post super detailed breakdowns of battery life in various circumstances.

but it wasn't just an article, it was from the President of Sony.

I'm not being anti-psp. I'm going to be getting one in a few weeks, I just want people to know

that battery life isn't going to be 4-5 hours for sure, neither 2-3 hours for sure.

You can trust that I'll be putting it to the test with Dynasty Warriors as soon as I get it.

I mean that Chinese guy probably did play video's, but dont forget that it's off of the memory stick. The memory stick uses less power since it doesn't need to spin a disc.

I'm not being anti-psp. I'm going to be getting one in a few weeks, I just want people to know

that battery life isn't going to be 4-5 hours for sure, neither 2-3 hours for sure.

You can trust that I'll be putting it to the test with Dynasty Warriors as soon as I get it.

I mean that Chinese guy probably did play video's, but dont forget that it's off of the memory stick. The memory stick uses less power since it doesn't need to spin a disc.

585085931[/snapback]

Yeah, I know, that was why I'm still concerned. For well over a month I've been consistently reading the figure of 3-4 hours. But then the hands on impressions that have been posted quote Ridge Racer as over 5 hours continuous play :s That's one of the biggest reasons I'm not importing, things like that still in the air, I'll wait until the big boys give us some solid confirmation of battery life.

Oh, and the chinese guy wasn't playing movies off of the memory stick, he was playing them off the UMD. He had the UMD demo disc movies playing on a consistent loop until the unit powered off, 4:20 with continuous disc access at full brightness :blink: it's things like these which just leave me confused. I need some real detailed battery tests.

585085931[/snapback]

If people who have gone to the shops are getting 4 - 5 hours gameplay with ridge racer which is very intencive on CPU and GPU (fast frames in raceing games) then the PSP battery life is pretty good. Cnet did there test a month ago and sony probably changed batterys since then.

@ Dazzla oh i know, maybe he used ear phones? Not with the system's speakers?

@WinMacLin, they didn't do a test, that was the President of Sony's quote. I dont think he would put his own system down, unless he thought he was being smart and thought, let me say it has 2 hours, so when it has 5 hours people get excited.