[Definitive] Sony PSP Thread

I was at the Tokyo Gameshow and asked a few questions. I was not given specific answers, but they lead me to beleive that an intense game such as FF (if released) would last a couple of hours....

Not to start any thing but if Darryl did not start this thread you would not have considered buying the pSp?

585086350[/snapback]

i haven't really read up alot on it, after reading this thread and all the links. i'm quite impressed. i don't really get hyped about handhelds anymore.

Yeah, I know, that was why I'm still concerned. For well over a month I've been consistently reading the figure of 3-4 hours. But then the hands on impressions that have been posted quote Ridge Racer as over 5 hours continuous play :s That's one of the biggest reasons I'm not importing, things like that still in the air, I'll wait until the big boys give us some solid confirmation of battery life.

Oh, and the chinese guy wasn't playing movies off of the memory stick, he was playing them off the UMD. He had the UMD demo disc movies playing on a consistent loop until the unit powered off, 4:20 with continuous disc access at full brightness :blink: it's things like these which just leave me confused. I need some real detailed battery tests.

585085939[/snapback]

Really i think you have over looked the Button Pressing. I am taking robotics and we deal with small robots. pressing a button repetedly will really suck the power out vs just playing a video (its point less in explaining how buttons work) but for example if you played a move and compare it to playing Tekken i am sure you will get much less game time when playing tekken. Games such as ridge racer load the full track vs rpg games that load each time you move to a new area.

Since this is a small machine evey little bit counts and so imo these are the factors wich will affect bat life.

1) Amount of Button Pressing.

2) Amount of Disk Reading.

3) Room Temprature.

4) FPS.

5) Sound LvL.

i think what really drains power out of the psp is the disk spinning mech and the cpu/gpu/whatever processor. other than that, ie buttons, dont really matter THAT much. it may be significant, but not as much as internal processes that occurs in the unit.

i think what really drains power out of the psp is the disk spinning mech and the cpu/gpu/whatever processor. other than that, ie buttons, dont really matter THAT much. it may be significant, but not as much as internal processes that occurs in the unit.

585086577[/snapback]

Buttons are quite significant. and disk spining mostly consist of a fats spin then all that moves is the laser i have not had the chance to see the in side although am sure it works in that way.

woohoo...just picked mine up today and I must say the sound and the games rock!!! Th eonly major complaint that I have is the battery life (of course, but I plan to pick up another) and the loudiness of the umb when the disk is reading...

the graphics are completely beyond the DS in comparison....

but I need to spen some more time exploring the system, an dplayign some lumines (think of it as the next tetris) and ridge racers...

Hey bacd, if I give encoding a file a try can you test it's playback on the PSP via the memory stick? I'll PM you with a link. I'd appreciate the help :)

Hey bacd, if I give encoding a file a try can you test it's playback on the PSP via the memory stick? I'll PM you with a link. I'd appreciate the help :)

585088156[/snapback]

Sure go ahead, might not get to it until tomorrow tho...

Ninja, well i haven't charged it yet, i have been playing with the battery's initial charge, so tomorrow I will charge it full and be able to tell you, but with the batter about a 1/3 full the system reports 1.4 hours left

585088156[/snapback]

Im pretty sure it uses Sonys own H.264 MP4 codec, maybe they are cross-compatible but i doubt it. Ive got Image Converter 1, just trying to find v2 update.

its available in here (Hong Kong)

but the price is a bit too high  :cry:

USD 584.00 (HKD 4,526.00)

http://www.success-hk.com/pp/success.asp

585088610[/snapback]

It has not been offcially lanched in HK these probably belong to people that have sold there units wich explains the high price. i would not buy one for that price. wait til the offcial lunch.