wood plank on mars ?

I definately think it's a picture of a piece of deris from the spacecraft. Notice what looks like the parachute and a couple other things in the background, I know I'd try to get a shot like that to demonstrate just how far the rover really has traveled. Plus it's just cool to see pictures of the equipment that got the rover where it is.

Could also be a tire tread that came off, I know one of the rovers had to move in reverse all the time after a while because of a wheel problem :p

Very interesting item no matter what it is though (Y)

lol, its a rock... so startling.. :o

just because it looks like a piece of wood doesnt mean anything... remember the pics of that "face" on mars... that turned out to be just some natural rock formation. the scale of this could be largely distorted as well, you dont know if this is the size of a small 2x4 or a massive column. images can be misleading.

Edited by Cyranthus

lol, its a rock... so startling.. :o

just because it looks like a piece of wood doesnt mean anything... remember the pics of that "face" on mars... that turned out to be just some natural rock formation.  the scale of this could be largely distorted as well, you dont know if this is the size of a small 2x4 or a massive column.  images can be misleading.

585086037[/snapback]

This is way more distinct than the face was. Everybody knew the face was just a lighting issue. The plank was probably put there by humans, but it's weird that something that passed through our atmosphere into space and into the martian atmoshpere has wooden parts (if it is indeed a piece of wood and not a rock). :blink:

even so... you still dont know the scale of this image... it could be massive or can just be a small odd shaped rock.  like i said, images can be misleading.

585099645[/snapback]

You can tell the scale if you look at the full sized picture, the rover or whatever they call it is in the foreground.