eBay: Cancelling Bids; Unfair.

I was selling an item that was bid up to $345. In the last minute, one of the bidders retracted his bid and thus the item sold for a final price of $202. This is completely unfair as the retracted bidder wasn't even the high bidder. A buyer should not be allowed to retract his bid if he isn't even the high bidder.

:angry:

I was selling an item that was bid up to $345. In the last minute, one of the bidders retracted his bid and thus the item sold for a final price of $202. This is completely unfair as the retracted bidder wasn't even the high bidder. A buyer should not be allowed to retract his bid if he isn't even the high bidder.

:angry:

585114766[/snapback]

so don't sell the item. Tell the highest bidder you won't sell it to him becuase a different bidder retracted his bid.

Sometimes people have 2 accounts, they bid up the item so no one else would bid and at the last second they cancel thier higher bid.

so don't sell the item. Tell the highest bidder you won't sell it to him becuase a different bidder retracted his bid.

Sometimes people have 2 accounts, they bid up the item so no one else would bid and at the last second they cancel thier higher bid.

585114785[/snapback]

Yeah, youre right. Its a common ebay scam. People use 2 accounts, one to boost the price up so nobody else will bid, and another one that bidded on it before the boost. At the end of the auction, the boost account retracts the bid, and the second bidder wins... or the way they did it to you.

I'm not necessarily saying that what happened to you was a scam, but it does happen so I'd investigate it a little bit.

Well, I refunded the $202 the bidder sent. And sent an email stating I'd accept a price of $300: that's still $45 below her final bid. If it's two separate people, I don't see why the bidder would refuse. But if it is the same person scamming me, she might refuse.

people do have legitimate reasons for cancelling bids, like if the seller changed something in the description. i had to cancel a bid because i found out i was going into the hospital the next day - i wouldn't have had access to a computer to pay for the item if i'd won.

I didn't think you could just retract the bid.. thought you (being the seller) had to approve every retraction and there had to be some spectacularly good reason for them trying to back out of the auction - like my house has just been reposessed or i'm about to be deported or something!

Kerm, Yeah, but the high bidders proxy bid would have come down to the next higgest level.

At the thread starter : That what reserves are for. If you run the risk without one, then tough luck.

- like my house has just been reposessed or i'm about to be deported or something!

585116289[/snapback]

Got something to tell us Chicane? :p

Kerm, Yeah, but the high bidders proxy bid would have come down to the next higgest level.

585116297[/snapback]

I got ya, thanks.

At thread starter, look at the $202 winners history (in the feedback) and see it the ghost bidder also appears on other purchases. Then you'll know if you've been boned. But if the ghost only bids once at the end, then of course they won't be there.

Did the $202 bidder bump their own price up a few times? Like to get above the reserve, and then make a massive bid. that would also be suspect

The retracted bidder put up a massive max bid of $340. The high bidder at the time was $345. Then the minute before the auction ended, the second bidder retracted his bid of $340 for "wrong bid amount" and lowered the price to $202.

I reckon you've been boned, was it still above your reserve though? Is $202 still a good price?

Sounds like a good tactic though, lol. I'm never going to use it though. I can't stand scammers.

Yeah, youre right.  Its a common ebay scam.  People use 2 accounts, one to boost the price up so nobody else will bid, and another one that bidded on it before the boost.  At the end of the auction, the boost account retracts the bid, and the second bidder wins...  or the way they did it to you.

585114942[/snapback]

Lol, that's clever.