How to fix a corrupt rar file?

Question

Hey, I downloaded a rar file which turns out is corrupt near the end, is there a tool to fix it? Just its a 2.5GB file which i dont realy want to wait for it to download again lol

cheers

EDIT: sorry its a tar file which contains rar files :)

Edited by randomnut

14 answers to this question

tar, rar, mar, snar, lar.

hmmm

there probably is a program out there in the distance hiding under microsofts protection but for now your gonna have to dl'ed it again :yes: its not that hard :happy:

tar, rar, mar, snar, lar.

hmmm

there probably is a program out there in the distance hiding under microsofts protection but for now your gonna have to dl'ed it again :yes: its not that hard :happy:

585121731[/snapback]

You're a waste of space.

Have you tried WinRAR's repair option? You can force the extraction by setting it to ignore corrupt files. You might be able to salvage most of it, depending on how much is damaged.

in winrar there is an option that says ignore crc errors and keep the file if errors occour. because normally after errors, it deletes the file so this option prevents that. also, i have had that happen to me several times... and here is what i did to counter measure that.

- target drive has low disk: give it ample space to extract stuff. delete your temp files. empty trash.

- defrag the target disk

in winrar there is an option that says ignore crc errors and keep the file if errors occour.

585121752[/snapback]

Where's the option? I cannot find it under the option, using v3.41 :cry:

Also, I have some files that cannot be decompressed due to CRC problems, but friends download the same files from the same FTP have no problem. What would seem being the preblem? Bad HDD? The problems appears only to files downloaded from FTPs, not via HTTP or BT or other...

Where's the option? I cannot find it under the option, using v3.41 :cry:

Open the ZIP, RAR, or EXE file in the main WinRAR interface. Now click the Extract To icon button. Under the Miscellaneous section you should see an option called Keep broken files.

Open the ZIP, RAR, or EXE file in the main WinRAR interface. Now click the Extract To icon button. Under the Miscellaneous section you should see an option called Keep broken files.

You're a bit late...

If your TAR file which contained RAR files has been corrupted and if you have created a backup of that file, then you can easily restore the corrupt TAR file. But if not, then don't worry; recovery can also be done in that case. All you need, a software recovery application which can repair the corrupt files. But before that always select those tools who offer free trial version of their software. Few weeks ago, I used Archive Recovery tool's demo version from sysinfotools. It made me believe that it can help me, then I got its full version. Now I'm really very satisfied with it. You can also check its trial version for more surety. It easily recovers all RAR files which has been corrupted due any particular reason. and don't worry, it's a multy-utility recovery tool which supports all files' format.

http://www.sysinfotools.com/recovery/archive-recovery.html

as you have not bothered to describe the content smushed in the span set the ignore and retain option is you only bet unless you also have the par2 set?

ignore crc errors and keep the file if errors occour.

yup