Best Editor for xHTML/PHP/CSS?

Question

Hey all,

Just like the title says, I am looking for an alternative to Notepad...for some reason, people seem to think that they are amazing, just because they code from Notepad :huh:.

I am looking for something that would possibly have syntax helping, also. Hopefully, the program isn't very bloat with features I won't really use. Also, free is good :yes:

Any ideas? Thanks in Advanced!

I personally like EditPlus. It's not the prettiest thing in the entire world (although it is a lot nicer-looking than some of the other programs like it), but it does the job right and it's very fast. It has syntax highlighting for lots of different languages, and it has a lot of fancy text options like indenting and sorting and removing duplicates and stuff like that. Attachment at bottom.

There's also Nvu, which is based on Mozilla Composer (so it uses Gecko as the rendering engine and it's pretty recommendations-compliant), but i don't like it very much. It's hideous and it's slow. If you're a huge Mozilla fanatic you might like it though.

Actually my absolute favourite HTML editor is the one that comes with Visual Studio .NET. It's very nice-looking and has a lot of really really neat features (like you can collapse divs and it'll tell you about syntax errors as they happen). The only trouble is... i don't really want to wait 30 minutes for an HTML editor to load, and i don't want to install Visual Studio either. :/

post-41489-1103494191_thumb.jpg

FrontPage and DreamWeaver are both very nice, actually, if you do it with the code-view thing. And for tables, too. But other than that, if you don't actually need the WYSIWYG editor (and i don't), they're way too big, just like Visual Studio.

although I honestly doubt you will follow my advice:

The best non-WYSIWYG editor in the world is: VIM! (Vi IMproved).

Download gVim for Windows here: http://www.vim.org/

This editor has an extremely steep learning curve, that is why most people hate it at first. But once you get use to it, other editors just seem to suck more then anything. It comes with a rather extensive set of syntax-highlighting definitions. I mean..it syntax highlights just about everything I throw at it.

For your purposes it is very good at syntax highlighting for php as it can tell the difference between PHP/HTML/Javascript/CSS sections.

Try it, but if you hate it, well...i understand.