(Seemingly) random programs blocked

I've noticed lately that several programs just can't access the internet. I tried to pulse my stats for WhatPulse because I noticed that I had accumulated about 1/2million keystrokes, and it timed out. No big deal, I thought maybe the servers were down. Then I connected to Yahoo. Nothing loaded, no games or anything, it would just connect to the basic service. I uninstalled it. When I tried to install it, the installer told me the connection timed out.

At this point, I thought it was my Windows firewall settings. I checked them and all the programs I wanted were allowed. I even tried turning it completely off. No luck. Then I remembered to check my host file, because I've had that problem before too. Nothing is in there. I don't really use Yahoo, and I can live without WhatPulse, so I sort of ignored it for awhile. Now I just tried to do Windows Update, and it doesn't load. Now this is a problem. I've run a full scan with Kaspersky AV Personal, Ad-Aware, and Spybot S&D, removing everything they suggested. I still have no luck in connecting to these services.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks.

Are you running any antivirus programs? If so disable them and try to run a program that gains info from the net....

Are you running zonealarm? If so turn it off.

Do you connect to the net via router or modem?

What OS are you running?

You need to give us more info :)

Oh, I would've mentioned any firewalls/anti-virus programs if I had been running them. I had nothing like that installed when the problem first occured, and I honestly don't think a firewall would block INCOMING data like that. The fact that Windows Update is blocked gives me the feeling that this is some sort of malware.

Yeah, I'm behind a router but I have my computer set as DMZ and I have it updated with the latest firmware. I'm running Windows XP Pro with SP2 and all of the latest updates(as far as I know -- the Windows Update restart dialog came up a few days, I guess that automatic downloader gets around this blocking problem.)

Now I'm not one to bump, but this post is pretty important to me.  I would like a solution that doesn't involve formatting.  No one else has any input on this?

585143390[/snapback]

That might be all your left with dude. A reinstall "usually" fixs 99 percent of problems your having with microsoft software :p