Ordered a 42" Plasma Screen :D

Well yesterday i took the plunge and ordered a Tiny 42" Plasma screen :D Which comes with free internet box (going in the bin) :p and a free recordable dvd player thingy. Was a very good deal, about ?1800 with delivery and insurance, only thing is it will be here between now and 20 days time, isnt that bad i suppose. It also has 6 months interest free credit, so no payment till May:DD

Go get one:laugh::

tiny 42" eh?  sweet. (Y)

585135600[/snapback]

Tiny is the make :p

u wanna  know the grat thing abuot this aswell dude,

I GET 15% off ;)

he ordered from my work ;)

the screen is ?1397 - 15% = ?118;);)

585135603[/snapback]

Get away, shooo:pinch:h::p:p

From what I heard plasmas dont last long at all before the entire unit needs replacement --- very nice nevertheless :)

585135735[/snapback]

Yea, that's right. They last about 6 years. LCD TVs are way better. But whatever floats your boat. Congrats on the new purchase. :D

From what I heard plasmas dont last long at all before the entire unit needs replacement --- very nice nevertheless :)

585135735[/snapback]

That was the first generation of plasma, this is the seccond :) Anyway thats what the guarentee is for ;)

That was the first generation of plasma, this is the seccond :) Anyway thats what the guarentee is for ;)

585135755[/snapback]

Yeah you'll prob get between 5-7 years life outta it. By then LCD's should of come down and HDTV will be the norm. :)

585135735[/snapback]

Current plasma TVs only last an average of 7 years I believe. The plasma gas that is sandwiched in the monitor leaks out ever so slowly from the time it's first assembled. After 5-10 years, the picture quality is degraded to a point where the unit needs replacing.

Current and next generation plasma TVs may last longer as I'm sure the big companies are putting a lot of money into figuring out how to stop the seepage issue.

Personally, I think LCD is the way to go for the time being until they get the problem fixed. 5-10 years for a TV just doesn't cut it. I've got one TV in my house that's older than I am (it's about 24 years old now) and it still works fine. I've got another that's about 15 years old and it still works great too.

Its true that plasmas may not last for as long as traditional tvs. But even CRT TVs suffer visually after 5 years (maybe not to the point of plasmas, but they still do). I have never owned a plasma and I would like to know if its true that they lose 1/2 their brightness after only 2-2.5 years? Do they lose half after 5-7 years now?

I like plasmas better than lcd tvs, so hopefully they can make them look almost perfect for 4-5 years. Then I wouldn't care anymore after that.

Ordered a 42" plasma myself last week.

Didn't receive it yet, but received the stand to put it on... Oh yeah! ;)

Here's the one I ordered:

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/s...del=TH-42PWD7UY

Didn't need speakers or tuner, so I picked the 'monitor' 'professional' one... :)

ecost.com all the way!

About the life span: the last generation had an half-life of 30,000 hours (you can calculate how many years that is for you....). The current generation is more like 60,000 hours. Which is much more than anyone would want / need before changing his old-ass plasma tv! (half-life = when half the gazes are gone... which is pretty much the equivalent to say your tv now looks like crap)

Plasma Screen will last only about 5-7 years depending on how much you use it. Also watch out for burn-in Plamas are ver suseptible to this.

will most likely see LCD's take over because plasma are too expensive to manufacture.

the only problem is that with larger LCDs you get the screen door effect.