• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Ordered a 42" Plasma Screen :D

SOSAGES1    0
Well your completely wrong, anyway, our room is about 13 foot by 6? so its big enough:pp

Yes it has progressive scan:pp , HDTV will not be launched for some time over here so theres no point just yet

585141382[/snapback]

HDTV will be launched in 2006in the UK by Sky as soon as they improve on the compression i imagine.

The bbc will also be showing shows in HDTV ASAP as well as making them all widescreen by 2008 - i think once u actually watch HDTV on a Plasma u will know you made a mistake regardless of the bargain from Tiny - i too saw the tiny deal in pretty much every IT magazine last month.

Most plasmas have a lower resolution than standard TV they have 480 lines, when standard PAL TV / DVD is 576, so these TVs down-scale

When you buy a HDTV receiver, you can either down-convert to what your TV can handle, 480 lines for most current plasma TV's 576 lines for your bog standard TV, or buy a native HDTV and watch in full resolution.

Found this on another forum he puts it better than me:

" have been following the development of picture technology over the past few years and, as a consumer, have spent many hours examining every possible type of technology and I can only come to the conclusion that plasma merits a "nice try!" award at best.

Even a plasma that is capable of meeting the potential HD formats is no match for a decent projector, scaler and screen. I haven't seen a single plasma (I admit, I have not seen them all) that stands up to close scrutiny in comparison to a lot of the technology available. I still see traces of colour banding on flesh, I am still not impressed with the definition in dark areas of plasma screens (it is far better than it was, but I still don't see true blacks) and the risk of screen burn and lowering of brightness as the panel gets older is not outweighed by the (obviously) perfect geometry and convergence.

Plasma was a massive step forward in the convenience stakes and the manufacturers are working hard to get it into the quality stakes, but in my humble opinion, it ain't quite there.

Now, I would not be critical of anybody buying a plasma if they bought it for the right reasons; it's sexy, it's flat, it's convenient and it shows a good picture. Everybody is entitled to spend their money how they want. I just think expecting a plasma to give you a great picture is expecting a bit too much. In saying that, you have to compare apples with apples, a true HD plasma picture will, of course, kick a standard def picture on a normal TV into orbit just because of what it is."

Storm    4
ha u got owned mine may not be plasma but it is a flatscreen 47"sony with the same dvdrecordable player and it only cost 1200can$ u got ownes suka :D

585143280[/snapback]

haha <snipped>, you live in the us/can things are a LOT Cheaper over there : :crazy:

...says the user in the Group: Banned

u sure gave us a *a lot* to think about!

:)

585143944[/snapback]

and yeah, he deserves it

Edited by fred666

Storm    4

lol thanks for the advice and linkage, but i think ill keep the plasm a ;) Then when HDTV launches ill just get a new TV :p

+Human.Online    8,294

SOSAGES1 : You post a lot of BS pretending it to be fact! Putting "I think" at the end means you have done very little research into anything. Sky have not put any timelines on HDTV, neither have BBC.

I for one am glad you have bought this Plasma, as I am looking at Tiny too. Let us know how it goes.

Storm    4

Thanks and will do :p

btw SOSAGES1: in accordance to that up there ^^ i have a projecter too ;)

SOSAGES1    0
SOSAGES1 :  You post a lot of BS pretending it to be fact!  Putting "I think" at the end means you have done very little research into anything.  Sky have not put any timelines on HDTV, neither have BBC.

I for one am glad you have bought this Plasma, as I am looking at Tiny too.  Let us know how it goes.

585145461[/snapback]

well i dont work for sky or control hdtv rollout in the UK but it has been in the news for sometime about skys hdtv plans for 2006 as well as the bbc's interest in hdtv and widescreen

my experience with this plasma on the other hand is pretty good as my friends father got one, dont get me wrong ANY huge TV will look funky and sexy as they are all new and sexy but they are actually naff.

two articles i have booked marked (slightly old now sorry)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds14675.html Sky HDTV

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds14311.html BBC HDTV

and within a few years they (bbc) will be filming eveyrthing in WS

ph3412t3h13    0

bitch

i have trouble getting a 17 inch screen

Storm    4

hehe me too :)

Im getting a 17" TFT This month though so its good :D

+dave164    18

My mum wants one for the living room,

whats the link?

Ivand    0

Now I envy you and I dont even know you :cry:

Damo R.    29,658

Sounds well good and i envy you as well...if i had some cash like that left around i would get myself one :)

Liger    0

(Y)

Storm    4

Well we got a phone call from Tiny on monday, saying that the TV will be another 2 weeks, due to it been christmas the previous week :(

So ah well....

Joseph B    37

I hate you.

Well i'm going to laugh when you're complaining about it being dead in 2 years.

Storm    4
I hate you.

Well i'm going to laugh when you're complaining about it being dead in 2 years.

585256178[/snapback]

if it does, we will just get a new one :) - insurance is a good thing ;)

webeagle12    948

damn I need one too :huh:

neufuse    3,679

if you think 42" is tiny your crazy... i have a 42" one it took a freight company to ship it here because of how large and heavy the thing is... also is it ED ore HD? because ED sucks on plasma.... looks like crap... HD is the only good res on plasma

Storm    4

noo, tiny is the make :p

And i have no idea about hd or ed, im guessing ed, as hd isnt available in the uk

Mouton    0
if you think 42" is tiny your crazy... i have a 42" one it took a freight company to ship it here because of how large and heavy the thing is... also is it ED ore HD? because ED sucks on plasma.... looks like crap... HD is the only good res on plasma

585256225[/snapback]

Tiny is the brand... as in www.tiny.com

My 42" plasma is 60 lbs... 20 lbs less than my old 21" monitor... I personally don't consider a 60 lbs tv heavy...

Razorwing    640

ahh.. I want one.. :crazy:

Fred Derf    217

[Thread Moved to Home Theatre]

Razorwing    640
Tiny is the mak:p:p

585135616[/snapback]

:laugh:h::laugh:h:

Storm    4

TV came today :D :D :D :)

Pic quality is bril, but the pictures i have taken arnt :p I have to follow suite ;)

http://edwardw.info/tv