Spyware in Serv-U 4.0.0.4

I have just download Serv-U 4.0.0.4 as I wanted to put a FTP Server on my machine to share some files with a few friends and copy some files from uni to my machine. I went to download.com and looked at the most Downloaded program and Serv-U 4.0.0.4 came up. So I downloaded it.

As I use getright and Norton to scan every file that comes into my machine, I was supprised to see that Norton have picked up the Backdoor.Trojan virus in the Install of Serv-U's main exe file.

(http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...oor.trojan.html)

Now I understand that an FTP server will open ports on your machine and if not correctly configured can cause more damage that good, but according to Norton's web site a Trojan

"Allow unauthorized access to the infected computer" So Is Serv-U spyware ? or a virus ? or both ? and is anybody using it ? Does it collect information on you ?

Magic_Man

P.S. Using GuildFTPd now anyway :)

i to had the same issue with serv-u & norton - you can just delete the file, it does no harm to serv-u

hmm...good thing I didn't upgrade to 4.0.0.4 yet :D

But that's quite interesting... Assuming you bought it, why not email Rhinosoft and ask them about it?

This is indeed interesting....I have 4.0.0.4 as well, and Norton calls BugslayerUtil.DLL infected.

Originally posted by danieloli

That wouldn't be a 'non-official, modified and fully functional' copy would it? (i.e. cracked) :ponder:

Nop, Just downloaded from the main site, (can't remember the name) via download.com.

ha, i also like the fact that if you are running a pirated copy, thier website tells you when you try to upgrade, and logs your ip...nifty...

Originally posted by theprotege

ha, i also like the fact that if you are running a pirated copy, thier website tells you when you try to upgrade, and logs your ip...nifty...

lol