First Quake 4 Screenshots

Old. Really old. I saw them around 5 months ago, as an exclusive in PC Powerplay Australia, complete with an interview with the developers.

The screenshots are really preliminary. On the shot where the guy is missing the gun, also notice a weird "box" around one of the characters. It's a photoshop job.

They are at a too preliminary stage to show us much of the game.

I saw these the other day and to put it bluntly I extremely unimpressed. They're so lifeless, fake and plastic. Baaaad.

585181716[/snapback]

You kidding ? It looks grrrreat!

Old. Really old. I saw them around 5 months ago, as an exclusive in PC Powerplay Australia, complete with an interview with the developers.

The screenshots are really preliminary. On the shot where the guy is missing the gun, also notice a weird "box" around one of the characters. It's a photoshop job.

They are at a too preliminary stage to show us much of the game.

585185680[/snapback]

Um first you say they are preliminary shots and then you say they are photoshopped? They look very real to me. They are obviously real shots, just of an early build.

Guys you are soo negative !

First off, the source engine would make this game like something from Cartoon network, and i don't want that. Second, i do think the Chronicles of Riddick engine would be great, even if the DooM 3 engine is good.

And if you guys would have read at least one line of info about the game, this not even close to DooM 3. "But dah :wacko: the game shows of corridors and ehhh plastic models, then it must be DooM 4". This game will contain outdoor levels, and pure quake action, no DooM 3 horror-action.

But hey, why not just wait until the new Half-Life 3 comes with a new unrevolutionary engine that makes everyone crap their pants, even if it is Quake 2 with more polygons and some Shaders. Well that would be nice wouldn't it ? And we could stop developing engines that try to make something new, cause we want what we already got, don't we ?

And i read before that Rocket Arena will be for the Source engine. This really broked my heart. Well it could be good, but it will never be Quake :( .

it looks like doom3 indeed. but it doesnt mean it will be bad..in fact it means nothing :p

585185862[/snapback]

Thank you, REAL gamers ( and QUAKE FANS) are gonna realise that Graphics are not a means to judge a game.

Hell i still play Pilot wings on snes sure there is the n64 version but snes is FUN

Thank you, REAL gamers ( and QUAKE FANS) are gonna realise that Graphics are not a means to judge a game.

Hell i still play Pilot wings on snes sure there is the n64 version but snes is FUN

585185869[/snapback]

But why should my system have to work hard to generate graphics that look like crap? The Source engine runs extremely well on my card and looks better than the D3 engine.

Um first you say they are preliminary shots and then you say they are photoshopped? They look very real to me. They are obviously real shots, just of an early build.

585185784[/snapback]

:sleep:

Yes, very obviously "real shots". They're not doctored or photoshopped in anyway[/sarcasm]

Cant tell much from the screenshots, they look a lot like doom3..which isnt suprising as they use the same engine!

Hopefully they show what the D3 engine can really do and shut up the valve fanboys  :shifty:

585182224[/snapback]

not a valve fanboy just bring something better than source and people will flock to it like birds. :laugh:

umm how about no

quake 4 continues the story of quake 2, its mostly single player game

585185051[/snapback]

Does that matter? Quake 2 emphasized single player, but look at how the multiplayer turned out, thanks to the community. CTF mod, Rocket Arena, Action Quake 2, and the list goes on. The competitive Quake 2 CTF scene flourished for quite some time as well.

Doom 3s engine? was? made to sport high polygon enviroments? in? a dark autompher? 

Understand? doom 3 is about the? Lighting and? shadowing system they made?  it is all computed? in Realtime not Pre? Renderd? John carmak knew what? he was doing when?  he? wrote the engine? he spend over? ? 1 year creating? just? the codeing? ? and figuring? out? the #s? it took 6months? to compile.?  but what make s? it a? great Engine? is? the Techniqs in witch he used to? make the? Lighting? and? Shadow system? work and? Physics work?  Unlike other game Engines? that? tried to use simuler technolagy? Like? Doom 3 but ther? not? so complex? as? Doom 3 is? you need to understand Doom 3 is 90% OpenGL and?  10% directx what JC wanted to have for the first time? in? a game is the? type? of graphics? you once? only saw? in Game cinamatics? and ya know he pulled? it off perty well.?  Doom 3 is about Lighting? and? shadowing not? colerful hip? graphics? Doom 3 was made dark for a reason? it was Made to scare you like no otehr game could because your in a? World that has dark and? the only? light you have? is in the? distance to light? the? way makes? it scary? spec.? if you have a? 5.1? sound system? it Helps.? Most of you prolly didnt? pay mutch attention to Interviews with JC and so on wher he EXSPLIAND? wher he was goign with the technolagy and? how the? game world would? be like. Doom? 3 is supposed to bit Dim lit cause? it is about Realtime? shadowing and lighting Agian? . So thats that.? now? Quake? 4? uses the? D3 engine? but they have? modified the? shaod? lighting? and texure portions to add more realizm.? oh and? Halife 2 is 100%? Directx Doom 3 is? 90% OpenGL

585184843[/snapback]

whatsay.jpg

Seriously. Learn to spell and use some punctuation.

I too saw this in PC Zone months ago. The screenshots didn't impress me much, apart from the new larger outdoor areas (that'll kill my PC), but what was more interesting was reading about Raven's plans to stay true to Quake2. So I have pretty high hopes. The engine is already down, they don't need to make many changes to that, which means they can focus on getting the "story" and action just right.

They said its going to be far more combat based than Doom3 was, which will be nice. Group fighting is what its about, but I'm a little worried about the strain on systems with that many models on screen. Nevertheless, it should be fun.

And who cares that it looks plasticky? After the excessive realism of HL2's textures and worlds, most things will look overly fake. Not that it particularly matters when you're running down a corridor with guns blazing- who the hell has time to stop and stare at the perfectly rendered bullet casings when a Strogg is bearing down on you?

Hmm, as others have mentioned, I also have a hard time seeing the difference between Doom and Quake anymore... :huh:

Maybe has to do that both these shots and Doom III had blood splattered metal to 250%, semi-cyborgs as monsters, with grey skin.

Hello? Your game worlds are on a collision course.

But actually I think it's Quake 4 staying with how its world should look, and Doom III that went all too wacky. There's a big difference in the style of Doom II, I think, while Quake II was actually basically like this only worse gfx. Hmm, well, will see how it turns out, but if they're cloning Doom III which wasn't even very good, they can forget me trying it out. :p

This game will contain outdoor levels, and pure quake action, no DooM 3 horror-action.

I'll believe it when I see it. Not getting my hopes up.

I fear they won't dare to make this NOT all dark and gloomy to increase "atmosphere" aka "what the heck, I can't see anything". :(

Edited by Jugalator

that screenshot isnt photoshopped, it was in pc gamer a couple of months ago, actually that issue is laying on my bed right now, heh.

this is gonna be awesome. pc gamer said it will have quite a few outdoor levels, and vehicles as well. there was a pic of an outdoor level in that issue, and it looks very good.

that screenshot isnt photoshopped, it was in pc gamer a couple of months ago, actually that issue is laying on my bed right now, heh.

this is gonna be awesome.  pc gamer said it will have quite a few outdoor levels, and vehicles as well.  there was a pic of an outdoor level in that issue, and it looks very good.

585187383[/snapback]

sigh...

I don't give a care if it came from the Pope's bathroom, that image is photoshopped. Look closer at my image some more.

(and it was in PC Powerplay about 5 months ago, and even the editor noticed the photoshoppping)