Asus K8V SE Deluxe Motherboard Problem

I've been looking round the internet and I'm not the only one with this problem, however I cannot find a solution to it. Basically, I bought an AMD 64 3200+ processor, the Asus K8V SE Deluxe motherboard and a new case for christmas and I have connected everything up. But when I turn it on, it doesn't detect my IDE drives and comes up with:

No device is found!

BIOS is not installed.

However, I can get into the BIOS steup utility but it still doesn't detect the IDE drives. It DOES detect the Floppy Disk drive but doesn't detect the CD drives or hard drive. I've checked the jumpers and they are all set how they should be (master & slave) but it still doesn't work.

Anyone know a solution to this problem?

Edited by Bobster

id say something is wrong with the bios if ur getting a message saying bios is not installed despite the fact u can get into bios. First things first id update the bios or restore it using the cd that came with your motherboard.

It's likely hes probably doing the following wrong (and DONT use cable select)

1) Setting jumpers wrong.

2) Plugging in cables wrong or backwards.

3) Has an inefficient power supply.

4) Faulty cables.

An old bios wouldn't be an issue, that motherboard should already detect every drive currently in circulation.

:huh: not true on the old bios thing

you might have some issue with certain brand of hdd... well i admit it's unlikely since you have an asus. But compagny that order bios by sub contracted monkeys ( real monkeys i mean :koff: :koff: ECS) well ...

Thanks for the replies. I've tried different IDE cables and also tried different jumper settings but that still doesn't work. I've noticed when I plug my hard drive into the RAID slot on the motherboard the hard driver powers up but then turns off. If I can't find a way to fix this the best thing would to send this motherboard back and buy a new one.

Also, my PSU is 450w and I've tried another 400w one and they both work fine and also, I've tried a Maxtor & Seagate hard drive with no luck.

Has anyone else got this motherboard?

it's most likely still under warranty exchange it instead of buying another. i have an asus k8n the non delux version (also called cheep ass ) my only problem so far is some unreasonable bios boot time.

Well I'll give Asus a call and ask them to send me a new one and exchange it, if I still have the same problem with the new one then I'll go for the MSI K8N Neo Platinum board :).

I got the motherboard and you need to go somewhere in the Chipset settings (I think) and make sure that if you're going to run normal IDE drives (no RAID), that you plugged them in to the TOP IDE connectors. If you connected it to the Blue one, then you have to change a RAID setting. Although, one thing you oughta do is disable the RAID feature on the motherboard if you're not going to use it, as it will just eat up precious boot time. PM me if you want some more help, as ASUS doesn't have a 1-800 number and will just jack your phone bill sky-high! :)

<edit>When you first boot the computer, it will say BIOS not installed. I've found that out every time I've used/installed the motherboards (and usually happens when the hard drive isn't detected as well)...