[Review] Coolermaster Stacker

Circaflex

Yesterday I went to my local PCBuzz store to pick up a Coolermaster Stacker, and thought I'd do a review for you guys here at Neowin. I searched and did not find another review so here is mine.

Intro

Cost: 179.99 + tax, it totaled to around 193 US dollars

Made by Coolermaster

No Psu

Box of goodies which include, screws, wheels for the bottom of the case, drive rails, an adapter to hook up two powersupplies in the case which means no more wire trick.

Looks

It may not be the most beautiful case around, but I really like the looks of it. No front door, I've always hated those, clean silver look. It isn't a fancy, eye-candy filled case. It has the basics, which is a plus in my box.

Construction

Its a very well built case. But I would recommend going to the store to pick it up, there have been cases in which people ordered online and UPS, Fedex, etc. did not handle with care and the boxes were ripped, cases were dented, smashed which caused them to be lopsided, so my advice would be just go to a store to pick it up if you can. Its a really heavy case once you get everything inside of it, but when equipted with the wheels, its easily mobile.

Ease of use

Well the case gave me troubles putting all of my stuff into it, maybe this was my lack of patience or what, but I will never know. According to the booklet it came with, its a tooless case. There are thumbscrews galore, but i found i need to use tools to get it all working. The manual it came with in my opinion was lacking in many areas, the directions and diagrams were scattered about and i could not easily follow their instructions. Biggest pain for me was getting my drives in, removing those mesh black face plates. Also i found my vantec stealth would not fit correctly on the top PSU holder, the fan grill on the PSU was too much and i had to remove it to slide it into its place. Once the psu was in i was able to put the grill back on. Sure it doesnt seem that much of a pain, but it was and in the future I don't look forward to having to remove the grill, then the psu. The fans they provided in the case had the normal molex connector, a plus in my opinion. I never liked dealing with the little 3pin adapter pieces.

Sound Levels

It's a lot more silent than my other case, the 120mm fan is nice and quiet. My harddrives are nearly as loud. I do hear the fans humming but not as much as before. With a little Pax Mat(sp?) this case could be dead silent.

Upgradablility

This case has a few unique features. It supports ATX, MicroATX, and BTX with a little modifications, but is all documented in the manual. Also this case has so much room, which for me is a great plus. I plan to watercool within a month or two, and it has enough room for dual powersupplies, and watercooling.

Conclusion

This case is a great one, and i would recommend it to anyone. I would give it about a 7/8 out of 10. The large interior is really what i like about the case. It was a little bit of a pain to deal with sometimes but hey, what computer part doesnt have a single flaw? Also the price may be a little steep for not including a PSU or even a 80mm fan for the side panel.

I dont have a digital camera so i do not have any in-person pictures, but here is what the case looks like thanks to Newegg.

Click Here

uniacid

Since you don't have any pics I thought I'd post some of my own :p

I love this case :)

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

nuscur

more pics!

is the floppy drive removable? cuz thats whats stopping me from buying this case atm

Circaflex

yes the floppy drive is removable, as you can tell in the pics uniacid provided he doesnt have the floppy drive installed atm.

spacey

wow, you have a dual power supply in your desktop system uniacid? how does that work? is it redudant or is one a backup?

Damo R.

Wow....thats a Pretty Boss PC Case :)

[ timko ]

I'm gonna be getting myself one of these this week after seeing many positive user views on another forum (Y)

nuscur

there are lil cages that slide into the 5.25 bays.. how many cages did the case come with? cuz i would hope there was enough to put 9 hds in this case.. so thatd be liek 3 cages for hds.. neone kno how many come

Waylander

afaik it comes with one that can hold 3 drives and you can buy more, im not certain as i dont have one yet but i want one as it look like the perfect case for a storage pc.

nuscur
afaik it comes with one that can hold 3 drives and you can buy more, im not certain as i dont have one yet but i want one as it look like the perfect case for a storage pc.

585263402[/snapback]

it comes with 1 that can hold 4 hard drives.. and the case can hold more hd without that thing i know someone with one.. the only advantage to that holder is there is a fan in the front of it.. so yeh :p

nuscur

just got mine in today.. thing is massive leaves the mind really open!

my crossfan+2nd hd holder will be here 2morrow woooot

Circaflex
wow, you have a dual power supply in your desktop system uniacid? how does that work? is it redudant or is one a backup?

585261200[/snapback]

Im also using dual psu's it has two "spots" for two different psu's. the case came with an adapter so you can have them both turn on when the motherboard turns on.

uniacid

Here is an updated pic of my rig, I love it but I wish it was TALLER :/

anyways I finally fit my Thermochill 120.3 Rad inside the whole case and I also removed the 2nd PSU b/c the power bill seemed to be getting really high :|

IMG_0530.jpg

IK47

whats so good about this case?

Kinda ugly IMo.

uniacid

If you think its ugly then fine. But I love it, despite the fact that I would want it a lil taller

Got3n

yeah, im looking to get one of those cause of all the fans i can put in the front. it would keep the case nice and cool.

xhobbitx

Damn, you could fit another case inside that thing :p Looks very nice imo, I am pretty happy with my Lian-Li PC65 though, but if I ever go to watercooling, I'll probably look at this case, roomy enough to fit all the gizmo's and gadgets in.

uniacid

Yeah it is nice and roomy but I don't like the HD rack, kinda wish it used they made HD mounting better, the rack doesn't suck but I don't like the way they make you mount HD's, since I have my tubing right underneath I can't really add another rack for more HD's :/

chconline

wow nice case, i love things from coolermaster!

Pink Floyd

with all the 120mm fans that you have at the bottom, it must be so noisy :(

ScottieG

yea, i really don't like the case at all, i think the antec p-160 with the side window looks alot better inside and out, just my opionion though, i don't mean to flame

dL

I like my Antec Sonata case more :wub:

dL