question about internet on hi-speed

I set up my buddies computer with new OS and went on internet to get all the service paks. I took it to his house and it couldn't access internet on his cable modem. We both have same hi-speed provider. what could it be? Thanks. it's on win2k also

so you set it up at your place, got it all working (and tested?) then brought it to his place and it didn't work?

I'd call the cable company about that to test his lines if he's not getting connected....

You sure didn't change anything inbetween?

What about if you bring it back to your place? Does it work again?

Originally posted by larry

I just talked to him. It's working now. It must be something the modem or something has to detect?

if you swap modems and NIC's it takes some time for the Router and Service to re-initialize itself.

Cable modem's often times read the MAC address of the network cards they are connected to in order to determine if it will give an IP to the interface.

What i think happened is that the cable modem you brought to his house still had info from your computer, and also the Ip's were different from the providers, so you just had to wait for some time before they verify.... :D

Maybe I'm reading his post wrong, but he said "I took it to his house and it couldn't access internet on his cable modem." I would take this to mean that larry took his friends computer from his house to his friends house, then tried to hook it up to his FRIENDS cable modem and it didnt work.

ie, wtf are you talking about Nestea_M@n?