Professional Logo Needed

Question

Hey Neowin,

The Company I work for Compass Fleet Services is in need of a logo. We need professional talent for a logo and a banner that will be used for an upcoming website, and also on our fax cover page.

Suggestions: Colors we prefer are blue or grey but all other will be considered. We would like to stick with a nautical theme for our logo/banner. Any innovative way you can incorporate a compass into the logo/banner will be excellent but not required.

Terms: The selected logo/banner designer be paid accordingly and will receive a bill of sale contract from our company attorney and will sign over all rights and images to Compass Fleet Services.

Bonus: Compass Fleet might also want to contract this designer to all future imaging works or projects. So once again you may have a chance to earn some money for you talent.

Please post all questions you may have regarding this task in this thread. We will check it daily.

BTW if you are planning to work on this project and enter a submission please post in the thread with your idea and also an EST finishing time.

Edited by islanq

Sounds all good...first i gotta know what size and what you company does.

[Maybe this is just the name and you do something different]

Will post my work soon ;)

The logo's we where most impressed with last time was done by Shaun Jones of Neowin. Due to his school schedule he will not be able to work for us this time. Here is an example of some of his work so you can get an idea.

BTW all the work looks great so far.

I whipped these together real quick. If you are interested I can obviously spend more time and take things further.

They are done using Illustrator, so they are all just Vector Art, which means they can be sized to any size and still maintain the same look.

This is my little advice to everyone else doing these logos... Photoshop is great, we all know that and you can get kick ass effects when you use it, but unless you create your logo at the absolute largest size it will ever be used and then scale it down accordingly, you are going to run into some problems sooner or later. Just imagine if a Client asked you to make their logo large enough to fit on a Billboard. That would mean if you used Photoshop, you would have to totally recreate it from scratch.

Just some friendly words of advice from a 30 year old designer. 98% of the time logos are done, they are done using some kind of Vector App.

post-34384-1104951521_thumb.jpg

I whipped these together real quick.

They are done using Illustrator, so they are all just Vector Art, which means they can be sized to any size and still maintain the same look.

This is my little advice to everyone else doing these logos... Photoshop is great, we all know that and you can get kick ass effects when you use it, but unless you create your logo at the absolute largest size it will ever be used and then scale it down accordingly, you are going to run into some problems sooner or later. Just imagine if a Client asked you to make their logo large enough to fit on a Billboard. That would mean if you used Photoshop, you would have to totally recreate it from scratch.

Just some friendly words of advice from a 30 year old designer. 98% of the time logos are done, they are done using some kind of Vector App.

585237300[/snapback]

you would have to be an idiot to use photoshop to use a real logo for anything.

Sorry if there was some confusion or if I didn't mention it :blush: but I showed my bosss and she reminded me we are using the BDA (doing bussiness as) Compass Merchant Services now, not compass fleet services. So I'm liking the idea's I'm seeing but from now on please do Compass Merchant Services ;) thanks guys.

you would have to be an idiot to use photoshop to use a real logo for anything.

585237323[/snapback]

I wouldn't say an idiot, that is a bit harsh, especially if you are just starting out in the design world or just teaching yourself, it is definitely a mistake people can make.

There are definitely some examples in here that are done using Photoshop.

By all means if there not any examples here using Photoshop then correct me if I am wrong.

I am just trying to give some people some friendly advice thats all.

I wouldn't say an idiot, that is a bit harsh, especially if you are just starting out in the design world or just teaching yourself, it is definitely a mistake people can make.

There are definitely some examples in here that are done using Photoshop.

By all means if there not any examples here using Photoshop then correct me if I am wrong.

I am just trying to give some people some friendly advice thats all.

585237344[/snapback]

so what do you suggest you make a logo with?

so what do you suggest you make a logo with?

585237365[/snapback]

Adobe Illustrator, Macromedia Freehand and Macromedia Fireworks all can produce vector files. Freehand is easy to learn. I started with that and have moved on to Illustrator and I use Fireworks occasionally for web design.