Networking Woes

OK I have a Cable modem and a LinkSys 4port router switch. ANd I want to share files. WHen I click on a folder to share files and go to sharing everything is greyed out. How do I share files?

From my experience..

I believe you should have the same username running on both computers so you don't have to authenticate every time you open a folder (ie. you have the username "Bob" on your host computer, you also have the username "Bob" on your client computer).

You can also right click on the folder you want to share (even the whole c:), click on the Sharing tab, and check "Share this folder on the network"

Hope this helps :)

If you're using Windows XP, don't use simple file sharing. You can change the way of sharing method by clicking on folder options and under View just unthick "Use simple file sharing"

I had the same problem the first time that I upgraded my Win2k box to XP Pro. I ended up doing a fresh install after some other problems.

I was able to get around this by using the MMC (Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management) to configure the shares.

After checking Microsoft's support site I did not locate any solutions for this problem but ss if you can create a share from the MMC.

BTW - Was this a Win2k upgrade to XP?