How Many People Like There Jobs?

I just got a new job as a system administrator, and I love it. But I hated all of my other jobs, for various reasons.

I was just wondering how many people do like going to work.

well im still unemployed... at 17 :(

dont really have time with college studying telecommunications which should land me in a good job

trying working in a warehouse packing once lasted a week, working aint for me :)

Congrats on the new job. Good stuff !! :)

I happen to love going to work. My colleagues are a great bunch and we are a real close knit team. Also with my job, its easy to take alot of my work away with me so i have much more freedom in that regard. It is not necessary for me to be "in" each and everyday unless im needed to oversee something. Alot of mornings though i find myself actually looking forward to coming into the office. It is nice to be able to say you enjoy your job. Not everyone is so lucky. I know that, for me, this is the first job i have actually enjoyed.I have had some where i always dreaded having to work the next day. Yuck.

I work for a very prestigious and very old American company, and I love my work. The company works 7 days a week, basically the only day we take off is Christmas Day!

Go in around 8am, takes me 35 mins from walking out my front door to walking in my front door at work via the T...

And I have a ball in work...

Look after a server farm of 12 assorted boxes, phone system, and financial/credit systems, and about 150 PC's over a WAN (SDSL and T1 connectivity) all with custom software for our type of business, and the usual MS Office nightmares...

Yes, I do some surfing during the day, update stories on neowin, chat with co-workers and messenger contacts, but most of the day I?m doing umpteen network and support activities. My days are never the same, always something to sort out, projects to get out with deadlines etc...

My email is constant all day, which I can read anywhere in the company from ANY PC, plus I can be paged within the company and carry a cell phone so when I'm out of the company and a problem arises at 11pm at night, I can VPN through my two PIX's (you don't want to know, trust me!) into the companies network and fix whatever problem arises. And believe me, this facility alone saves me so much time.

I can do most of my work, apart from the physical stuff, from home, and on my days off, frequently am asked to fix one or another problem, remotely.

Only wish I could get paid more for the dedication I show got a 3% raise this year!

I have looked into the local job market, but with all the tech jobs layoff's the market is pretty thin on the ground with lots of firms just putting holds or freezes on hiring new staff let alone replacing staff that move on to other positions.

Most of the web job sites just repeat the same list of jobs, or the staffing companies list phantom jobs to attract you to their agency, learned to ignore staffing agencies long ago!

It's gonna have to be an awesome job to get me out of my current position, even though the money is not great:(:(

Job satisfaction has a lot to do with it... and the smile on my face when a project gets off the ground is worth it.

I currently work part time (nights) on the 2001 UK Census project and i absolutely HATE it. Its getting to the point where I feel like phoning in sick each night or something :(

I am currently looking for another job full time in Network Administration or Technician, maybe VB Programming or something along those lines as when it comes to computers i tend to know my stuff :D I used to work part time as a network admin but the firm went into liquidation (or something) and laid us all off :( I really enjoyd that job too.

Anyone in the North West (Liverpool / Warrington / Manchester) UK area wanting to hire me, i can start right away? :D CV On Request.

Mess about 95% of the time - when a client shows their faces, do a bit of work.

Self employed :) Sadly, I'm forced to mess about 95% of the time as I have so few clients. Still, make enough money to keep my pet up to date. Not bad for a 17 year old ... most of my ex-class mates get their parents to buy them new PCs and about 1/5 of them have shelf stacking jobs. Despite the expense, I like buying the computer stuff myself - try explaining to a middle aged professional mum why an Athlon 1.2Ghz is better than a Pentium 2 333 and why it's worth the ?250 to upgrade and you'll see why paying yourself is worth it.

I love my job I am the owner of my business and I make money that lets me do what i want whn i want and I'm only 16. Got to love that!
What did you do?

<---- Lucky Bugger

I'm doing what I always wanted to do!

I'm a Producer at a videogames developer in the UK. I get to play games as research (especially if we're doing a conversion from one platform to another), talk games, play on the latest hardware, blag games and hardware, abuse a pleasantly fast internet connection, play online games, rub shoulders with some of my programming heroes from the C64 days, blag more games...and get paid for it!

Downsides:

This is NOT a 9-5 job. I just finished a GBA game for THQ - I was in the office 14 days STRAIGHT and must've had about 20hours sleep over that period (and, man, you did NOT wanna be near me.. I STANK!).

Hell, I love my job!

My job is also my hobby. I work at Stardock so my job is basically to hang out and code cool desktop enhancements and PC games.

I'm currently one of the developers of a game called Galactic Civilizations (www.galciv.com) that will come out next year. I was the lead developer of a game called The Corporate Machine which should be at your local store right now.

My non-coding job involves helping design and manage Object Desktop which is where WindowBlinds and DesktopX and other stuff comes from.

The only downside are the hours and it can be a drag when your hobby and job intertwine at times. But it is cool to be able to hang out on IRC and the message boards all day and chat with other developers between compiles.

Sysadmin... you're going to hate it. Believe me, especially when they start planning to save money.

I'm sysadmin looking already for a new job. Something relaxer... like webdesign or so.

Yeah webdesigning is cool but I'm not sure if it's relaxing :) (right Neo?)

I'm a sysadmin at the moment and I like it although the company I work for isn't doing to well.

@ Frogboy: Love the screenies of Galactic Civilizations

Redmak: Thanks! We just got fog of war in today, still blocky and buggy but getting there.

The only real bad part about my job is that when it's your hobby, everywhere you post after hours people assume you're there as part of your job (you know, like posting on a website at 1:20am on a Friday night! ).

my job sucks im a computer admin at a school district got 10 schools to look after about 800 computers and get payed **** but this is only a temp job because they dont pay me enouph im currently looking for a new job maybe for a consulting place or something or get into the video game industry

I wouldn't go into the games industry - at present the publishers are so tight and demands so high your royalities (often your only finishing bonus) are barely in 5 figures unless it's a big hit.

Also, computer prgramming geek isn't the best. New games require the same amount of code as it's usually based off previous work. However new game versions nearly always uses new art and every project has more detailed models and higher res textures and such. It's artists who get jobs best in the games industry and they are welcome to them at present. Stick to less glamous jobs for security, pay and lower stress (you've all heard the stories from iD software just before Quake 2's release - if not, I can tell you it involves an axe!).

This is just based off hearsay, pure and simple. Nothing of personal experience, so I could be wrong.

Well, here goes?

I teach school.

I love my job most days, although today I am physically and mentally exhausted. (I think one of the kids coughed on me!) It?s never the same thing and a lot of the days you never know what to expect. Some people say that you have to be crazy to teach school and maybe I am. The rewards are great (although far and few between) and the kids are always entertaining. I mean, where else can you get all that AND get paid too? :roll:

Time to grade some papers before Buffy starts?

New age Mr. Mom here for the past 11 years, raised my to kid witch are 13 & 15 know, and sent them to a all year round school! Haven't worked in 12 years outside the home!:evil: