'Having my own server' questions

right, I have a few questions about webservers.

1. If I would want to have my own server, would it matter what specs that computer has, and what should be okay?

2. What do I need to make my (second) Computer a server?

3. What is recommended? Linux or Windows? and what are the differences?

4. On my own server, I can host my own websites right?

5. Where do I get php and MySQL from?

6. What do above mentioned things cost?

7. Is there an online newbie server guide somewhere?

Thanks a lot, Vince aka Paranoid Android

1. Depends on what you want to do with your server.

2. Depends on what you want to do with your server.

3. Depends on what you want to do with your server.

4. Yes. You can use Apache, Abyss, etc.

5. http://www.php.net/ and http://www.mysql.com/

6. If you use Linux, nothing, otherwise just the cost of windows, because everything I mentioned is free.

7.Depends on what you want to do with your server.

Is it just websites you want to serve?

With FTP?

With email?

You have a dynamic or static IP?

With games?

With stream music?

Are you colocating or is this going to be in your home?

You need to be a little bit less broad about a 'server'. A server isn't just one application.

As for the 1, 2, and 3, Here's what I'd recommend

1. I'd go for something at least 300mhz with 256meg ram, you can go less, but you'll notice some big performance drops. 1ghz tends to be optimal in most cases.

2. Here, I'd set the 2nd computer up as the initial firewall which serves internet to your computers, not behind a router. This is just an ease of use thing if you have a router, but by no means mandatory, nor is it very secure (but it often will do fine).

3. Linux. Although windows may be a bit more user friendly, you'll kick yourself for using it later. (Speaking from experience here)

1. Depends on what you want to do with your server.

2. Depends on what you want to do with your server.

3. Depends on what you want to do with your server.

4. Yes. You can use Apache, Abyss, etc.

5. http://www.php.net/ and http://www.mysql.com/

6. If you use Linux, nothing, otherwise just the cost of windows, because everything I mentioned is free.

7.Depends on what you want to do with your server.

Is it just websites you want to serve?

With FTP?

With email?

You have a dynamic or static IP?

With games?

With stream music?

Are you colocating or is this going to be in your home?

You need to be a little bit less broad about a 'server'. A server isn't just one application.

585267858[/snapback]

Thank you everyone for the responses. What I would like to do is hosting my php invisionboard on my own server. Nothing too special, just a forum that takes up to 200mb space and about 2 to 3 gb of bandwidth. I would like one with ftp acces and I do have a static ip. and I indeed was talking about a computer at home.

once again thanks everyone, I am stil unsure if I'll do it as I'm an absolute n00b in things like this, even after having a messageboard for 2 years on different hosts.

Oh in that case:

1. Your specs can be low. I'd recommend above a P 133 and above 64 MB of RAM.

2. You just need Apache with PHP and I think you have the option between using "flat file" or SQL for IPB. Not sure though. But I'd use MySQL either way.

You can see about getting

3. I recommend Linux, because it can run fine on low end specs, its usually faster as a server, and most distrobutions come with everything you need, even if you want to do something like this.

However, there is a bit of a learning curve, especially if you are coming from windows, but its not hard to get started and the learning isn't hard, but you will probably have to learn some new stuff.

-If you do stick with windows try: The Uniform Server Project. It includes, Apache 2, PHP, MySQL, phpMyAdmin (for admining MySQL easy), and perl. Its open source and free.

8. Free :)

For an FTPd, I don't know for windows. I use ProFTP on all my linux servers.

Nothing too special, just a forum that takes up to 200mb space and about 2 to 3 gb of bandwidth. I would like one with ftp acces and I do have a static ip. and I indeed was talking about a computer at home.

I'm an absolute n00b in things like this, even after having a messageboard for 2 years on different hosts.

585272093[/snapback]

If you do not mind me asking -- WHY would want to do this? Almost any host I can think of can provide you with these simple requirements for peanuts. More than likey the cost of hosting for a year, would be less then just the electric costs for running a box at home for a month or 2.

And now all the headaches of security, hardware, connectivity to your message board falls to you. For what more than likley will be way less bandwidth, and possible violation of your TOS - what is the upload bandwidth for your home connection?, you might have 5Mbit down - but only 256kbit up - which means the most you could provide anyone would be 256kbit (which would be divided between your use and all users connected). Which pretty much BLOWS for anything of real use (ie ftp as you mentioned).

Since you cearly state your a noob when it comes to this stuff - I just am curious why you feel the urge to tackle all the requirements of providing services to the public net off your home connection. What do you feel it will get you - that a host can not provide? Besides headaches?

If you do not mind me asking -- WHY would want to do this?  Almost any host I can think of can provide you with these simple requirements for peanuts.  More than likey the cost of hosting for a year, would be less then just the electric costs for running a box at home for a month or 2.

And now all the headaches of security, hardware, connectivity to your message board falls to you.  For what more than likley will be way less bandwidth, and possible violation of your TOS - what is the upload bandwidth for your home connection?, you might have 5Mbit down - but only 256kbit up - which means the most you could provide anyone would be 256kbit (which would be divided between your use and all users connected).  Which pretty much BLOWS for anything of real use (ie ftp as you mentioned).

Since you cearly state your a noob when it comes to this stuff - I just am curious why you feel the urge to tackle all the requirements of providing services to the public net off your home connection.  What do you feel it will get you - that a host can not provide?  Besides headaches?

585273521[/snapback]

reasons I want this is because I want to know what it is like, I want to learn things I don't know yet, I am just very curious.

Thanks everyone who helped me or tried to, I'll see what I'll do

If you do not mind me asking -- WHY would want to do this?  Almost any host I can think of can provide you with these simple requirements for peanuts.  More than likey the cost of hosting for a year, would be less then just the electric costs for running a box at home for a month or 2.

And now all the headaches of security, hardware, connectivity to your message board falls to you.  For what more than likley will be way less bandwidth, and possible violation of your TOS - what is the upload bandwidth for your home connection?, you might have 5Mbit down - but only 256kbit up - which means the most you could provide anyone would be 256kbit (which would be divided between your use and all users connected).  Which pretty much BLOWS for anything of real use (ie ftp as you mentioned).

Since you cearly state your a noob when it comes to this stuff - I just am curious why you feel the urge to tackle all the requirements of providing services to the public net off your home connection.  What do you feel it will get you - that a host can not provide?  Besides headaches?

585273521[/snapback]

:sleep: you don't have to do this EVERY SINGLE TIME w/o fail do you?

reasons I want this is because I want to know what it is like, I want to learn things I don't know yet, I am just very curious.

Thanks everyone who helped me or tried to, I'll see what I'll do

585273817[/snapback]

Thats great!! I am all for learning, but there is a HUGE difference between wanting to learn, and understand - and actually providing a service to the public net.

Have fun - only thing I would suggest, is you get yourself up to speed before actually putting the services out their for the public to use, etc.. and that you have verified with your ISP that is not against your TOS, etc..

Also make sure your ready to handle the extra burden of hosting your own server, etc.. A complete simulation of everything, can be done on your private lan -- shoot for that matter one machine running virtual machines could simulate a complete setup, from name servers, hosting server(s), clients connections - firewall, etc.. Without ever having to expose your machines to the public - and or disrupt your current messageboard, etc..

Depending on how far you want to take this learning exp, etc.. there are packages that can really simplify the setup of the web server, mysql, php, etc.. all in one package. wamp comes to mind as one - http://www.wampserver.com/en/index.php

This may not be the best route to take if really on a quest for knowledge - but does give you a working system you can start with - quick and dirty

:sleep: you don't have to do this EVERY SINGLE TIME w/o fail do you?

585274056[/snapback]

Dude - I do believe we already had that discussion ;) You help them how you feel is best, I will do the same -- I fail to understand what your issue with it is? How is bringing some of the possible issues of self hosting, and or costs, etc.. a problem with you?

Edit: How exactly does your post, in anyway what so ever help him at all?