The world to end in 2012?

Freaky shizzle

Bloody typical, finish paying off my mortgage in 2011 then get blown to bloody bits in 2012. How crappy is that?

Pete

585279572[/snapback]

:pinch: :rofl:

The Aztec and Maya had no contact with each other and both had the same dates on their calenders for ending of the world.

585612327[/snapback]

Those kind of things are not dependant because if someone had the power to launch nuclear bombs, they could end it tommorow if they wanted. :rolleyes:

Pseudo-Biblical literalists also insist that the Earth is 6000 years old ;) Don't put too much faith into anything like this. Of course something like this could happen but you can't sit around and worry about it when it has such a low probability of occuring.

Pseudo-Biblical literalists also insist that the Earth is 6000 years old  ;)  Don't put too much faith into anything like this.

585640833[/snapback]

And you have proof for otherwise?

If you don't understand how we would miss a 12th planet, ask Google about Nibiru, and it explains how the orbit works. As for the pole shifting, there is proof that it has happened many times in the past and we are due for another one. Rifts on the bottom of the ocean have released magma which hardens into layers. Scientists have analyzed them and looked at the alignment of iron particles in the magma, coming to the conclusion that every few thousand years (dont remember the number) all of the particle switch their alignment with magnetic north indicating that the poles have in fact shifted. One of the theories is that if/when Planet X swings past us whenever it does it wont hit us but it will change the rotation of our planet and cause the pole shifts. (as it does every whatever number of years as it fulfills its orbit) Depending on how that happens it could cause catastrophe or just a period of complete collapse in society. Human beings and animals rely on magnetic fields for balance, among other things, animals use it for direction (birds, fish etc) so a reversal of the poles could potentially see all kinds of mayhem on the planet. Or we could just be all killed by the physical shock of this planets gravity. Either way its interesting and I personally think it's coming soon, but not necessarily the end of the mankind, maybe just the end of the "world" how it is today, and that doesn't bother me at all

585586814[/snapback]

this is one of the few explanations that makes any sense. its scaring the sh!t out of me

We're 100 percent certain the Earth is more like 4,600,000,000 years old  ;)

585641816[/snapback]

Who is we? And how are you 100% certain? :huh:

All you are certain on my friend is your belief and thats about it. :sleep:

Who is we?  And how are you 100% certain? :huh:

All you are certain on my friend is your belief and thats about it.  :sleep:

585642126[/snapback]

100% sure its not 6000 years :rofl:

100% sure its not 6000 years  :rofl:

585642212[/snapback]

don't forget the simple rules of science and religion:

science:

1)hypothesis

2) study, test, collect data

3) conlcude whether data supports, refutes or is inconclusive wrt hypothesis

religion:

1) conclusion

2) select "data" to support conclusion, dismiss data challengining it

3) conclude, based on data, forgone conclusion was correct.

"the earth is 6000 years old" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

i guess the "gods" just can't make up their minds on anything since it was also once flat and the centre of the universe too! :rofl: :rofl:

Who is we?  And how are you 100% certain? :huh:

All you are certain on my friend is your belief and thats about it.  :sleep:

585642126[/snapback]

Scientists and geologists from around the world agree on a similar figure. With todays technologies such as radiometric dating, its been determined time and time again that the Earth is at least 4.6 billion yrs old. Believing otherwise is simply ignorant.

About the existence of Planet X,

i came across with this article

13 things that do not make sense

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/space/mg18524911.600

10 The Kuiper cliff

IF YOU travel out to the far edge of the solar system, into the frigid wastes beyond Pluto, you'll see something strange. Suddenly, after passing through the Kuiper belt, a region of space teeming with icy rocks, there's nothing.

Astronomers call this boundary the Kuiper cliff, because the density of space rocks drops off so steeply. What caused it? The only answer seems to be a 10th planet. We're not talking about Quaoar or Sedna: this is a massive object, as big as Earth or Mars, that has swept the area clean of debris.

The evidence for the existence of "Planet X" is compelling, says Alan Stern, an astronomer at the Southwest Research Institute in Boulder, Colorado. But although calculations show that such a body could account for the Kuiper cliff (Icarus, vol 160, p 32), no one has ever seen this fabled 10th planet.

There's a good reason for that. The Kuiper belt is just too far away for us to get a decent view. We need to get out there and have a look before we can say anything about the region. And that won't be possible for another decade, at least. NASA's New Horizons probe, which will head out to Pluto and the Kuiper belt, is scheduled for launch in January 2006. It won't reach Pluto until 2015, so if you are looking for an explanation of the vast, empty gulf of the Kuiper cliff, watch this space.

I dont think anyone should be hooked up in certain year or at least not in specific date. It might be 2009, 2012, 2015 or it could take longer. But believing that it will happen exactly December 21 2012 is a bit silly. Gregorian calendar is off from the real chronology so i would say that it?s hard to match mayan timing to our a bit biased calendar, at least for specific dates.

Scientists and geologists from around the world agree on a similar figure. With todays technologies such as radiometric dating, its been determined time and time again that the Earth is at least 4.6 billion yrs old. Believing otherwise is simply ignorant.

585643697[/snapback]

you forget that for the religious "ignorance is bliss"

The double standard of the religious is that science must provide 200% proof, where their religion requires no proof at all.

I'm not going to start arguing this again..

You forget that for your belief "ignorance is bliss". You know well and true that there is no fact to prove it, and you have already stated it. Christians admit that they 'believe' in God, they never say they can prove it, or they have proof. But you never see and evolutionist claim that, evolution is always fact, fact, fact...man, get off that high horse and just admit it. :sleep:

People like you have chosen to believe evolution till it's proven wrong, and people like me have chose the Bible till its proven wrong. Simple as that. ;)

You forget that for your belief "ignorance is bliss".  You know well and true that there is no fact to prove it, and you have already stated it.  Christians admit that they 'believe' in God, they never say they can prove it, or they have proof.  But you never see and evolutionist claim that, evolution is always fact, fact, fact...man, get off that high horse and just admit it. :sleep:

People like you have chosen to believe evolution till it's proven wrong, and people like me have chose the Bible till its proven wrong.  Simple as that. ;)

585645996[/snapback]

how many ways must the bible be wrong for you to question its accuracy?

Evolution has evidence which supports it where no religion can claim the same.

Science is based on discovery. Religion is based on fantasy.

To the topic of the thread: how many generations of christians will have been wrong about the impending doom of the earth? Its like all good fairy-tales, if you repeat it often enough, it might come true just once. The wonders of confusing co-incidence, corelation, and causation.

Science/logic/the reational mind: we don't have all the answers, but we are trying.

Religion/the irrational mind/the primative mind: we don't know, and don't care, because the gods will care for us.

You forget that for your belief "ignorance is bliss".  You know well and true that there is no fact to prove it, and you have already stated it.  Christians admit that they 'believe' in God, they never say they can prove it, or they have proof.  But you never see and evolutionist claim that, evolution is always fact, fact, fact...man, get off that high horse and just admit it. :sleep:

People like you have chosen to believe evolution till it's proven wrong, and people like me have chose the Bible till its proven wrong.  Simple as that. ;)

585645996[/snapback]

Religion and science can coincide. From what you've said it appears that you are one of the people that still insist on forcing a pseudo-biblical meaning that is contrary to every current observation in the sciences regarding geologic time. I am a practicing Roman Catholic, but I have adapted my understanding of the Bible to better fit what we know today. As you said, you've chosen to choose the Bible until its proven wrong.... and in this instance it HAS been proven wrong, time after time again (at least your interpretation of it). Facts are facts, and I'd be happy to help explain more about how we know the age of the Earth to you if it would be beneficial. Stating that the Earth is billions of years old in itself does not deny any credibility to the Bible (or any religious doctrine for that matter), but definitely makes it more open for interpretation than in previous years.

hyperactive - The bible hasn't been proven wrong to me yet, if anything, discussions like these only strengthen my belief. Why don't you use your posts wisely and post some so called 'facts' instead of mocking what others believe in?

2 Peter 3:3 "knowing this first: that scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts.."

LOL, all I was saying is why dont people just admit its just a belief like everything else. Yeah, sure we have observed micro evolution(adaptation) and its a fact. But no one has observed or has any fact for "Billions of Years". And if there is fact, why must it be explained? Facts should be able to 'explain' themselves, its FACT...

Show me something, anything that 100% proves "Billions of Years Old", like I've said before (in other threads), if there were 'facts', then where would my (or anyone elses) argument about God stand? It wouldn't, because how can you compete with facts? Until then, I believe the Bible till it's proven wrong (yes with facts).

rumbleph1sh - I totally agree that Science and the Bible coincide, but it seems that the God I believe in is different from yours. Your God used death, and 'chance' as a tool to bring us here today, your God actually glorifies death. My God did it perfect in 6 days, no death, no chance, no mistakes. You have a series of theological problems when trying to fit the 'Big Bang' theory with the Bible.

So, I'd be more then happy to help you see how big contradictions and errors would occur throughout the bible if you try to fit the 'big bang' into it. Jesus for one wouldn't be needed as death was already reigning on earth before His arrival, and it was part of Gods plan. The bible tells us that He defeated death/evil when He was resurrected. Thats just one main point out of many.

hyperactive - The bible hasn't been proven wrong to me yet, if anything, discussions like these only strengthen my belief.? Why don't you use your posts wisely and post some so called 'facts' instead of mocking what others believe in??2 Peter 3:3 "knowing this first: that scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts.."b>

LOL, all I was saying is why dont people just admit its just beliefb> like everything else.? Yeah, sure we have observed micro evolution(adaptation) and its a fact.? But no one has observed or has any fact for "Billions of Years".? And if there is fact, why must it be explained?? Facts should be able to 'explain' themselves, its FACT...

Show me something, anything that 100% proves "Billions of Years Old", like I've said before (in other threads), if there were 'facts', then where would my (or anyone elses) argument about God stand?? It wouldn't, because how can you compete with facts?? Until then, I believe the Bible till it's proven wrong (yes with facts).

The library is your friend. Heck, even google can be your friend.

The entire bible has not been proven wrong yet (that I have seen), but many parts of it has. If parts of it are wrong, than you must see the fallacy of the writers, and not accept it without evidence to support it. Denial of evidence contrary to what you WANT to believe is irrational and destructive.

As for the scoffers coming in the last years. Well, the last years have been pronounced for 2000 years now. These last years are taking a long time to get here!

As for steengthening your beliefs, I expected as much.

rumbleph1sh[/b]h1sh - I totally agree that Science and the Bible coincide, but it seems that the God I believe in is different from yours.? Your God used death, and 'chance' as a tool to bring us here today, your God actually glorifies death.? My God did it perfect in 6 days, no death, no chance, no mistakes.? You have a series of theological problems when trying to fit the 'Big Bang' theory with the Bible.?

So, I'd be more then happy to help you see how big contradictions and errors would occur throughout the bible if you try to fit the 'big bang' into it.? Jesus for one wouldn't be needed as death was already reigning on earth before His arrival, and it was part of Gods plan.? The bible tells us that He defeated death/evil when He was resurrected.? main point>main point out of many.

585647775[/snapback]

my gods, your gods, his gods, her gods, .... gods gods everywhere. Look at the world over the past 2000 years and it is clear evil was not defeated, thus Jesus failed. Since christian gods are perfect and do not fail, that means Jesus was not a god. Further, if "the god" that created jesus claimed Jesus was a god when he clearly was not, than "the god" is fallible and by christian definitions fails to be a god. THus your god is not a god at all!

The library is your friend.? Heck, even google can be your friend.

The entire bible has not been proven wrong yet (that I have seen), but many parts of it has.? If parts of it are wrong, than you must see the fallacy of the writers, and not accept it without evidence to support it.? Denial of evidence contrary to what you WANT to believe is irrational and destructive.

As for the scoffers coming in the last years.? Well, the last years have been pronounced for 2000 years now.? These last years are taking a long time to get here!

As for steengthening your beliefs, I expected as much.?

my gods, your gods, his gods, her gods, .... gods gods everywhere.? Look at the world over the past 2000 years and it is clear evil was not defeated, thus Jesus failed.? Since christian gods are perfect and do not fail, that means Jesus was not a god.? Further, if "the god" that created jesus claimed Jesus was a god when he clearly was not, than "the god" is fallible and by christian definitions fails to be a god.? THus your god is not a god at all!

585648281[/snapback]

- I'm not sure what you mean by google and the library being my friend? If its refering to the fact that I havn't looked into the big bang theory, then you are mistaken.

- I don't know which parts of the bible you are refering to that are proven wrong, everything I have personally read is correct so far. That being said, you should be using your own argument on yourself, I mean, which parts of the big bang/evolution theory are correct/incorrect? I mean, if parts of it are wrong, you must see the fallacy...

Denial of evidence contrary to what you WANT to believe is irrational and destructiv:rolleyes::rolleyes:

- Its not 'last years' but last days/latter days which the definiation for it is:

"Of a later or subsequent time"

The sentences which contain 'latter days' means the days after Jesus' crusifixion. God has no time, as is clearly stated in scripture, so no one knows when the last 'literal' days will be.

- Jesus defeated Satan and stripped him of his power two thousand years ago. Jesus paid the price of our sins on the cross and then rose from the dead bringing life to all who would follow Him. Satan's authority has been taken away from him. We now have authority over him through Jesus CRevelation 1:18 - "I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and of Death"&qJohn 3:15 - "...that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.""

Revelation 12 records the account of Satan's overthrow by Christ. We are first given a vision of what takes place in heaven, then the Bible reveals the earthly scene. I won't post it here because its long.

Death in the bible is spiritual death, a complete seperation from God.

- I don't know which parts of the bible you are refering to that are proven wrong, everything I have personally read is correct so far. That being said, you should be using your own argument on yourself, I mean, which parts of the big bang/evolution theory are correct/incorrect? I mean, if parts of it are wrong, you must see the fallacy...

i never claimed that the big bang or evolution or any other scientific theory was perfect. They are just theories that explain our current level of knowledge. No scientific theory is absolute or beyond scrutiny.

The biggest issue with theories like the big bang and evolution is they are not fully understood. There are far too many misconceptions.

As for the bible:

Noah's arc story has been shown to be impossible.

the age of the earth has been shown to be incorrect.

dinosaurs existed before man.

geneics shows we could not have all decended from one pair of humans.

if the bible is error free, then is slavery correct?

I won't even touch on the inconsistancies between the prophets that all claim to have spoken to the same "gods".

i never claimed that the big bang or evolution or any other scientific theory was perfect.  They are just theories that explain our current level of knowledge.  No scientific theory is absolute or beyond scrutiny.

The biggest issue with theories like the big bang and evolution is they are not fully understood.  There are far too many misconceptions.

As for the bible:

Noah's arc story has been shown to be impossible.

the age of the earth has been shown to be incorrect.

dinosaurs existed before man.

geneics shows we could not have all decended from one pair of humans.

if the bible is error free, then is slavery correct?

I won't even touch on the inconsistancies between the prophets that all claim to have spoken to the same "gods".

585648710[/snapback]

- You didn't claim it was perfect, but you go around talking about it like its fact.

All of the points you stated about the errors in the bible are biast to your current beliefs, and you are claiming them to be errors according to your beliefs. Except for a couple that I wouldn't mind seeing your evidence on: How is Noah's arc impossible? and How does genetics prove we couldnt have decended from the same couple?

Slavery

The Bible does not specifically condemn the practice of slavery. It gives instructions on how slaves should be treated (Deu 15:12-15; Eph 6:9; Col 4:1), but does not outlaw the practice altogether. Many see this as the Bible condoning all forms of slavery. What many people don?t understand is that slavery in the Bible times is completely different from the slavery that was practiced in the United States in the 1700?s and 1800?s. The slavery in the Bible was not based on race at all. People were not enslaved because of their nationality or the color of their skin. In Bible times, slavery was more of a social status. People sold themselves as slaves when they could not pay their debts or provide for their family. In New Testament times, sometimes doctors, lawyers, even politicians were slaves of someone else for one reason or another. Some people actually chose to be slaves so as to have all their needs provided for by their master.

The slavery of the 1700?s and 1800?s was based on skin color. Black people were considered slaves because of their nationality ? most slave owners truly believed black people to be ?inferior human beings? to white people. This is similar to the slavery the Jews experienced when they were in Egypt. The Jews were slaves, not by choice, but because they were Jews (Exo 13:14). The plagues God poured out on Egypt demonstrate how God feels about racial slavery (Exo 7-11).

All of the points you stated about the errors in the bible are biast to your current beliefs, and you are claiming them to be errors according to your beliefs. Except for a couple that I wouldn't mind seeing your evidence on: How is Noah's arc impossible? and How does genetics prove we couldnt have decended from the same couple?

On the flood: there is not enough water on earth to have caused such a flood. If there was that much water, the planet would be quite a bit more humid. If there was a flood, there would be geological evidence of it. Further, analysis of the bible showed that "two of every animal" as is commonly described actually refered to two of each of a very few select types of animals related to the society of the time. So why do we have all these other species today if they were wiped out in a flood?

On dinosaurs: carbon dating places the fossils in a time prior to man.

genetics: the species would not have been sustainable from one pair. The inbreeding alone would have killed humanity off.

slavery: so is it correct? should people be able to sell themselves today?

age of the earth: look at the half-lives of some isotopes.

as for current beliefs: i don't "believe" in evolution, i believe it fits the data we have. I stated before it merely makes a projection of how life began. We could have been seeded by aliens as well. I just work with the theories that have the most evidence supporting them( until a better/more complete theory is derived). The same is true for all theories.