Taskbar vs. Dock

167 members have voted

1. 1. Taskbar vs. Dock

• Windows XP Taskbar
    • Mac OS X Dock

I know i know, many peopl have posted Doc's but does anyone have the best Doc, for XP ? can sumone send me a link or a Zip. or an exe. thanks, send to xpexpert@hotmail.com

thnx, i know its sumwhere on neowin, just dont gots the time to dl all of them and see whats the newest and has the least bugs features etc.. thanks, i think bluedigital has a good one, if my memory serves me correct or was that sumone else.. i dunno thanks guys.

This Post has been brought to you by Neowin.net

User...

-[ x p e x p e r t ]-

no no no no no don't post links to docks and all come on windows users yall make your self look bad that yall have to mimick other os come on think of something original.

id have to go for the dock as well.

is this going to end up shaping into an osx vs xp thread?

Taskbar for me as I've been using it for years and am used to it, and I also like the functionality. Borrowed a friend's iBook with OSX and wasn't at all impressed, but then again if you're used to it I'm sure it's great to use. I also think some of the effects/eye candy are a waste of resources, as I like to keep resources free for more FPS, but these effects can prob be reduced (didn't try myself) - I don't even theme windows - and don't want to as it runs so well now.

Originally posted by unsanity

OSX does have lables its called moving your mouse over an icon ;) plus u can see whats in the folder when its minimized!

So, to only see the labels, you have to move your mouse around? I'd rather stick with taskbar, I don't wanna move my mouse around just to see labels :roll:

lables.jpg-link.jpg

well the dock looks neat so its gets my vote i'd rather have a hover thing than having lables stay shown.

Think about it you kinda can't have threads like this cause it leads to wars. but then again you can't have mac vs. pc stuff cause you like what you want and you can't do **** about that. so........

Originally posted by Toxicfume

So, to only see the labels, you have to move your mouse around? I'd rather stick with taskbar, I don't wanna move my mouse around just to see labels :roll:

I don't get what the big deal is with labels, with the dock I can tell what I'm running from the fact that I've got the icon right in front of me, with browser windows its not a big deal cos I use tab browsing in mozilla and even if it is opened in a different window they get stacked and i can use keyboard shortcuts to flip through the different ones.

You go ahead and use labels if you need to read to be able to see what you're using

Originally posted by Wickedkitten

I don't get what the big deal is with labels, with the dock I can tell what I'm running from the fact that I've got the icon right in front of me, with browser windows its not a big deal cos I use tab browsing in mozilla and even if it is opened in a different window they get stacked and i can use keyboard shortcuts to flip through the different ones.

You go ahead and use labels if you need to read to be able to see what you're using

It all comes down to a person's preferences. I like the taskbar and you like dock by Apple. Enough said.

Well, it seems like people who like eyecandy would go for the dock, but since i'm not such an eyecandy person, the taskbar is better and more convenient for me.

Originally posted by Borg77

It all comes down to a person's preferences. I like the taskbar and you like dock by Apple. Enough said.

after all :D

its fine and dandy to say that the taskbar is better than the dock but to give the reason why as being "the dock is too resource intensive" where's your proof?

I personally like the dock on a mac system, and would use one on XP if there was a dock that had the functionality that a mac dock does. Until it does, then a dock on XP is just window dressing.

The Windows Taskbar handles so many more functions than the OSX Dock does...so for useabilty and function the Taskbar wins without question!

The OSX Dock is so much more customizable, has a better graphics engine, and is just beautiful! So for pure beauty and bringing OS's into the future, the Dock wins hands down.

Originally posted by xpexpert

Cool Avitar, avatar.php?userid=3040&dateline=0

DeadZombie, u make it ur self ?

& sumone gimme a damn OSX doc for my XP system !!!

Yes I did -> and I had made about 8 other unique 'bubble faces' for other board members a few months back. Guess they sucked, cause I'm the only person still using mine.. :(

Thanks for the compliment!

deadzombie, i think your avatar is very cool, what are the chances of you making one for myself?? send me a message if this is a possibility....... thanx in advance....

p.s. XP taskbar wins IMO........;)