• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Mac Mini Questions Thread

REM2000    145

The way Compaq worked with RAM was to make the RAM CL and other specs so specific if you tried anything else it would throw it out. Some old HP's use a hardware trick to make sure you only use HP memory (i had a big problem with some Brio's :( ) So i would assume that Apple are doing the same, however after a while crucial seems to be able to work it out, as with the hp's the generic ram i carry didn't work! but ordered some on crucial without any probs.

I went through the manufacturer selector on the crucial site (UK) and there isn't a listing for the Mac Mini ...YET!

kainashi    8

yeah, the psu is external. kind of like the one the gamecube uses? :unsure:

Menge    33
Does it contain a internal power supply? Or does it include a power brick like some of the smaller pc's by Dell?

I am thinking this is why the thing can be so small.

585281528[/snapback]

imacmini_large.jpg

this should answer your question: yeh. it seems it has a power brick.

but it seems like a small one.

Daask    1

this is strange, i thought it's just the case which holds everything, but... yes this looks resonable.

thomtr    0
this is strange, i thought it's just the case which holds everything, but... yes this looks resonable.

585282154[/snapback]

Can you only have sound from headphones?

Southern Patriot    944

question 2: will i be able to access/manipulate files on my pc via SMB over wifi? i don't mind the 40GB drive in the mini mostly because i've got 280GB on my dell. but i'm not sure if i'll be able to run the iLife apps on files sitting on my dell drives...i'd like to use the mac hd solely for apps, and have all my media on the pc.

question 3: lots of people complain about there only being 2 usb 2.0 ports...is there any reason why i couldn't just add a usb 2.0 hub to provide more ports? buy.com was selling 4-port usb 2.0 hubs for $7 the other day.

585281664[/snapback]

2. Yes, that would work fine, I do it all the time.

3. That works too. What I don't understand is why anyone would think that it wouldn't.

Starcom826    25
The way Compaq worked with RAM was to make the RAM CL and other specs so specific if you tried anything else it would throw it out. Some old HP's use a hardware trick to make sure you only use HP memory (i had a big problem with some Brio's :(  ) So i would assume that Apple are doing the same, however after a while crucial seems to be able to work it out, as with the hp's the generic ram i carry didn't work! but ordered some on crucial without any probs.

I went through the manufacturer selector on the crucial site (UK) and there isn't a listing for the Mac Mini ...YET!

585282034[/snapback]

Yes there is. Mac mini is already listed on crucial's site.

Edit: nm, I see now that you said UK site.

noyb    0
I remember hearing something earlier about an OSX patch that made it so some third party RAM did not work (I believe it was Kingston)?  How would you be able to tell what ram would work and what ram apple has banned (really cheap move in my opinion).

585281837[/snapback]

It can happen simply because Apple likes to tweak the Kernel not just in different releases like for instance Jaguar to Panther but even in its mini service pack decimal releases for example in about a fortnight 10.3.8 will be released and the kernel will go up to version 7.8.0 from 7.7.0.

So in short if you had a dodgy stick of RAM it may work up until Apple tweaks the Kernel again to get even more performace out of the system, thats what people mean when they say OS X gets faster and smoother with every release, but the downside to it is it can show up faults that were previously going un-noticed.

I am suprised that Kingston would be a problem though.

Starcom826    25
It can happen simply because Apple likes to tweak the Kernel not just in different releases like for instance Jaguar to Panther but even in its mini service pack decimal releases for example in about a fortnight 10.3.8 will be released and the kernel will go up to version 7.8.0 from 7.7.0.

So in short if you had a dodgy stick of RAM it may work up until Apple tweaks the Kernel again to get even more performace out of the system, thats what people mean when they say OS X gets faster and smoother with every release, but the downside to it is it can show up faults that were previously going un-noticed.

I am suprised that Kingston would be a problem though.

585282317[/snapback]

Wasn't me. I heard about it though. Supposedly somebody just ran updates and it disabled some third party ram that I believe was Kingston. My main point is, is there any company we can go with that is sure to work (and keep working, meaning Apple would never backstab the company)?

mojomonkee    0
Can you only have sound from headphones?

585282201[/snapback]

i can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to use a set of speakers.

.weir    0

the speakers just need to have their power source if there's only a headphone jack on the back (i noticed that in the quicktime VR thing)

I can't wait to get my hands on one of these, hopefully this summer

noyb    0
Wasn't me.  I heard about it though.  Supposedly somebody just ran updates and it disabled some third party ram that I believe was Kingston.  My main point is, is there any company we can go with that is sure to work (and keep working, meaning Apple would never backstab the company)?

585282396[/snapback]

It probably came from someone who promotes other silly rumors like the reason OS X never gets spyware or virus's is 100% down to market share or the other funny one about no software being available for Mac.

granty    0

I am hoping to order one soonish, I have a question though is there any chance of using my 7.1's (they can run under 5.1)

Oh yeah isn't tiger meant to be 64bit which would therefore mean it wouldn't run on a G4?

And there may only be 2 usb ports but the keyboard provides and extra 2 if you go with the Mac keyboard....if not get a hub

chmsant    0

Alright... was looking at a mini here at work today.... (yes you read that right) and the memory slot is buried underneath the optical drive... and is extremely hard to get to. It is not user serviceable and must be taken into an Authorized Service Provider.

As for the hard drive.... it doesnt look like it would be easy, but a possibility. Attempting both however would void the warranty. Apple can tell when something has been replaced that was not meant to be, even if you remove the part before service.

dragon2611    13

i was thinking of getting a mini mac sometime wheni can afford to spend the money

but id want to use a kvm as i dont have enough desk space for a second screen.

only problem is all the ones ive seen have ps2 connectors for keyboard and mouse but i want to use usb keyb/mouse is there a kvm that can support use keyb/mouse (that and the mac doesnt have any ps2 ports)

noyb    0
I am hoping to order one soonish, I have a question though is there any chance of using my 7.1's (they can run under 5.1)

Oh yeah isn't tiger meant to be 64bit which would therefore mean it wouldn't run on a G4?

And there may only be 2 usb ports but the keyboard provides and extra 2 if you go with the Mac keyboard....if not get a hub

585282573[/snapback]

Tiger supports both 32bit and 64bit, its very doubtful that anyone using a consumer grade system such as this would ever have the need for 64bit support, 98% of apps will run better as 32bit, even the most demanding games such as Doom3 and HL2 would not benefit from 64bit support.

Dbase, 3D Graphics rendering and a few others are the only type of apps needing 64bit support or rather those that use more that 2gig of ram on a regular basis.

PureEdit    0

There are some USB KVM switches available, I think I have even seen one with DVI.

noyb    0
Alright... was looking at a mini here at work today.... (yes you read that right) and the memory slot is buried underneath the optical drive... and is extremely hard to get to.? It is not user serviceable and must be taken into an Authorized Service Provider.

As for the hard drive.... it doesnt look like it would be easy, but a possibility.? Attempting both however would void the warranty.? Apple can tell when something has been replaced that was not meant to be, even if you remove the part before service.

585282629[/snapback]

Silly Rabbit, did you really think we would believe that you had one of these at work, especially when they have not even been realeased for sale through ADC yet. by the way the whole top of the unit comes off to reveal the ram running down the side, not the front under the optical drive.

Oh yeah, looks pretty user upgrade friendly to me.

designinsides20050111.jpg

dreamsINdigital    0

585282573[/snapback]

Yeah I want to know also.

chmsant    0
Silly Rabbit, did you really think we would believe that you had one of these at work, especially when they have not even been realeased for sale through ADC yet. by the way the whole top of the unit comes off to reveal the ram running down the side, not the front under the optical drive.

Oh yeah, looks pretty user upgrade friendly to me. 

http://images.apple.com/uk/macmini/images/...des20050111.jpg

585282814[/snapback]

Well noyb..... yes :yes: you should belive that i had one of these at work, its not that hard to do considering that I work for Apple. Both the Mac mini and the iPod shuffle were brought up from a guy in Cupertino for us to mess around with for the day and become familliar with.

The moment someone other than a service provider opens this case... your warranty is gone. Trust me on that one. But nice try on trying to discredit me! :p

audioscheine    0
http://ppleyard.org.uk/postimages/imacmini_large.jpg

this should answer your question: yeh. it seems it has a power brick.

but it seems like a small one.

585282064[/snapback]

the chord is easy enuff you can just put it behind your desk, or :shifty: attach it to the underside of your desk.

noyb    0
Well noyb..... yes :yes: you should belive that i had one of these at work, its not that hard to do considering that I work for Apple.  Both the Mac mini and the iPod shuffle were brought up from a guy in Cupertino for us to mess around with for the day and become familliar with. 

The moment someone other than a service provider opens this case... your warranty is gone.  Trust me on that one. But nice try on trying to discredit me! :p

585282976[/snapback]

I was pointing out that you were feeding people false information that may influence their buying choice, buying memory from Apple would push up the price negating one of the key selling points of this machine. You said that the memory was in a hard to get area under the optical drive, ITS NOT, i proved that much and furthermore i have never come across an Apple machine that did not allow the user to upgrade the memory themselves, do you realise how much of a waste of time that would be for service centres, they have more pressing things to do than fiddle about stripping components to get to a clip in component that would be one of the most common replacement parts of the system both BTO and Fault correction.

Apple has good reputation with form and function and placing a component in a small case in an enclosed area where circulation would not only be restricted for the component itself but in turn would cause circulation problems for the componets it would block, this heat would then be re-absorbed by the ram and then rise up to the optical drive possibly causing damage to the unit instead of being spread evenly throughout the case shell where unfocused it can cool down to around room temperature.

tomwarren    68

K enough flaming, cswadner does work for Apple so chill your panties.

noyb    0
K enough flaming, cswadner does work for Apple so chill your panties.

585283179[/snapback]

I was not flaming, as stated i was showing that he was posting false information that could affect people's buying decision, do you not think that statements such as voiding warranty and buying memory from Apple would not affect people's decision, it would mine.

chmsant    0

Well this is my final comment, its just friendly banter here, no worries. I never stated that memory HAD to be purchased from Apple. I only stated that the memory needed to be installed by an Authorized Service Provider. Whether that is a physical Apple Retail Store, or some other place, I never said that you couldnt use 3rd party memory. (personally i would purchase 3rd party memory, lol) I would only leave installation up to one of these Authorized places only to prevent a customer's warranty from being voided, as a safeguard. So that is that, I rest my peace, but do appreaciate you looking out for the people out there