• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Is this a good TV?

Bling3k12    1

I'm going to college in a few months and moving into an area with a lot more HDTV coverage than here. Because of this, I'm going to buy a new TV.

I've settled on this one for now, but if there's another one relatively close to this price point ($699), please give me recommendations.

It has all the inputs and outputs that I need and will work with what boxes Comcast offers. It has DVI and component and all those outputs which will work fine with what I already have. Also has a built in HD tuner, just in case Comcast won't carry one of the local stations (they don't here, I guess the stations want to promote Over-the-Air HDTV instead of just through the cable companies.)

Anyways, suggestions? Thoughts?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-26-...roductDetail.do

bangbang023    31

It's a pretty good set, indeed. If you want something a little better, look at the 26hf84. I know I mention that model line over and over again, but it's very good. The only thing is that the Samsung has a built in tuner and the Toshiba doesn't.

BroChaos    1

you can get 27" lcd for around that price...

bangbang023    31
you can get 27" lcd for around that price...

585288146[/snapback]

Not anything HD or good. That's $700. The cheapest 27" LCD that I've seen is about $1200, or so.

BroChaos    1

true, prices climbed back up after xmas...

but you could get 27" HD ready lcds for $700 before then, although most likely after rebate

Pink Floyd    15

very good tv

samsung is one of the only brand to make all the component in their tv

very good quality tv

Bling3k12    1
If you want something a little better, look at the 26hf84. I know I mention that model line over and over again, but it's very good.

585287654[/snapback]

The one big thing that catches me on that TV is this: compatible with HDTV/SDTV formats ? when connected to a separate HDTV tuner ? and displays them at 1080i or 540p)

What about 720p? I know FOX Sports does all their broadcasts in 720p.

Also, it has on DVI, but HDMI, and the cable boxes that Comcast offers don't have HDMI.

Hopefully by the time I actually do buy this set, it will come down in price and maybe there will be a few more options out there. I've still got 6 months before I seriously purchase the TV, but I wanted to start the search early, just in case some extra funds come in and I can get it earlier than expected :cool:ool: