What do you drive?

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up my new Hyundai Tuscon yesterday, not the best pic in the world but it was dark by the time I got home yesterday so this was a quick shot from my phone before I went to work.

Technically this is my first car as previous cars were in the misses name and I've driven company cars for the last 4-5 years.

9gtciAg.jpg

Just waiting on the Euro Plate to show up (I'm Canadian) then Bayley will be nearly complete ^_^

Who is Bayley ?  

Please for the love of all is holy tell me you didnt actually name your car.  & why did you park that way ?

No, what makes you think that?

Oh the reflection is the house across the street from me.

How is that CTS-V treating you ?  I have a small list of cars I am going to test drive and begin to narrow down when I get my new car in the spring.  I really like the CTS-V that I see around town.

Can you adjust the suspension ?  Or is it stiff all the time ?  Reason I ask is the 2 cars I have (1 sports car, 1 sports/luxury sedan) are kinda stiff so if it was adjustable - it might keep me from rattling my teeth out. :/

Who is Bayley ?  

Please for the love of all is holy tell me you didnt actually name your car.  & why did you park that way ?

I did actually (notice the custom plate for my Province -> Bay MW = Bayley the BMW)

I park it that way to get the best angle of sunlight so I can see any missed spots while cleaning her.

So - "my darling" - and Mur named his car and is convinced it is a female...

You two remind me of this guy:  

Just messing with you two - its OK.   Do you name your house ?  TV ?  Anything else ?  Or is it just the car ?

I have a nickname for my driver (golf)  - I call it Vader because I have a Darth Vader head cover - I guess thats the same. :/

Edited by T3X4S

Just messing with you two - its OK.   Do you name your house ?  TV ?  Anything else ?  Or is it just the car ?

I actually never car the car anything, including 'darling'. I just did it just then for... eh, fun? :)

So - "my darling" - and Mur named his car and is convinced it is a female...

I'm well aware it's an inanimate object, but it's my pride and joy, being only 21 and owning the car outright is a pretty solid achievement I think, so I take pride in that, sorry it's not something you seem to have ever had the liberty of enduring. It's a pretty good feeling to have, 10/10 would recommend. :yes:

• Like 2

Oh guys - I was totally doing it for fun.  I have nicknames for things too.

guns, computers, cars, golf clubs, refer to one ex-girlfriend as "the beautiful antichrist" - 

I have a custom precision rifle that earned the nickname WASP KILLER, one day @ the range, a wasp landed on a target @ 200 yds - I put a round through it - so from then on everyone @ the gun club referred to that rifle, and me, as WASP KILLER - 

So yeah, I was just playing with ya - no offense meant

And Mur, there have been a few cars that I owned outright - but they werent daily drivers.  Currently my daily driver is a lease, and my weekend aka fear for your life and pray there isnt a cop around car is also a lease... FWIW

How is that CTS-V treating you ?  I have a small list of cars I am going to test drive and begin to narrow down when I get my new car in the spring.  I really like the CTS-V that I see around town.

Can you adjust the suspension ?  Or is it stiff all the time ?  Reason I ask is the 2 cars I have (1 sports car, 1 sports/luxury sedan) are kinda stiff so if it was adjustable - it might keep me from rattling my teeth out. :/

It has Sport and Luxury drive modes.  In luxury mode it feels more like a Cadillac.

And Mur, there have been a few cars that I owned outright - but they werent daily drivers.  Currently my daily driver is a lease, and my weekend aka fear for your life and pray there isnt a cop around car is also a lease... FWIW

Although it's naturally difficult to tell if it's meaningful attitude online the way I interpreted your initial response was a bit of a poke at me having a name at all, either way it is what it is. I drive far too much to ever lease, I'd be paying more for the additional miles than I would for the car itself at the end of a term :/ 

geeze....all I drive is a 2001 Ford Windstar.  BUT, it still has the working Video Cassette Player!!  My son used to love watching old Thomas the Tank on it.  Has a bit over 151,000 miles on it also.

geeze....all I drive is a 2001 Ford Windstar.  BUT, it still has the working Video Cassette Player!!  My son used to love watching old Thomas the Tank on it.  Has a bit over 151,000 miles on it also.

As long as it does its job...that is the important thing. :yes: 

As JHBrown said - if it gets you from Point A to Point B safely - thats all that matters.
When I was young (high school) the only thing that mattered to me was having a nice car.  It was important because I had a crappy car, and all I saw @ every stop light was nicer cars.  All my friends had nicer cars, I was so mad.  I would think that everyone was looking at me and laughing because of my crappy car.

Then, when I was older (after college) and was able to drive nice cars, I realized nobody cares.  If I pull up next to someone and they are checking out my car, or they are being obvious in not looking over - all I am thinking is - "its just a car" - we are both just getting to our destinations - nobody cares that you dont have a nice car - dont worry about it ;)

As long as it does its job...that is the important thing. :yes: 

True.  Everything else is just fluff

Although it's naturally difficult to tell if it's meaningful attitude online the way I interpreted your initial response was a bit of a poke at me having a name at all, either way it is what it is. I drive far too much to ever lease, I'd be paying more for the additional miles than I would for the car itself at the end of a term :/ 

I drive too much to lease, but I dont like to keep cars around that much typically.

My daily driver is close to 4 years old and I will be trading it in this spring.  I will miss it - I like that car.

Still driving my '15 Mustang GT. Got it end of June, so had it for almost four months. 3300 miles later, it still puts a smile to my face. It does drink gas like nothing else though, mostly due to my heavy right foot. Unfortunately, I think the Mustang is going to be my winter car. My beater car's heat doesn't work, which makes it quite useless in winter. It costs way too much to get it fixed, and also transmission is another problem area (poor engineering). 

Ford F-150

IMG_0029.jpg

I really like the new F150
The new  2017 4 dr SuperCrew Raptors look awesome too.

Capture.thumb.JPG.ea3ba0f4b5abfe28baa08b

I just cant believe the price of them down here (Texas) - 
Fully loaded F150 $60,000
Fully loaded Raptor $62,000

My brother just bought a fully loaded F350 dually w/ 6.7L diesel - he needed something huge (and it is huge) to pull a large camper at times... sticker was $72,000 !  .... for a truck !

Absolutely crazy.

Just changed my first wheel bearing on my 1999 Dodge Dakota.  It's only 2WD and it was a front wheel bearing, and it's one of those "hub and bearing assembly" types where you just un-bolt the old hub and bolt a new one on.  Pretty easy job, a lot easier than I expected it to be.  Hardest part was breaking the old spindle nut loose, ended up using a 20 foot piece of steel pipe I had laying around to slide over the breaker bar for leverage.  I'm gonna do the other side here in a week or two because it's starting to go out as well, and when I do it I'll record a video and post it to YouTube and share a link here if anybody is curious.

I really like the new F150The new  2017 4 dr SuperCrew Raptors look awesome too.

Capture.thumb.JPG.ea3ba0f4b5abfe28baa08b

I just cant believe the price of them down here (Texas) - 
Fully loaded F150 $60,000
Fully loaded Raptor $62,000

My brother just bought a fully loaded F350 dually w/ 6.7L diesel - he needed something huge (and it is huge) to pull a large camper at times... sticker was $72,000 !  .... for a truck !

Absolutely crazy.

My truck pretty standard 2014 F150 had a sticker price of 42000.  Only extra was towing package otherwise it's just the Stock V8 XLT SuperCrew.

As for the look of the truck, I think the 2015+ models look very modern.. but I think the 2011-2014 models look nicer.

• 2 weeks later...

Boys and girls, this is why you never ever put regular tap water in your radiator except as a last resort to get you home, and in an emergency situation, drain your coolant system as soon as possible and get that stuff out of there.  If you need to add water to dilute your antifreeze or just to top off your radiator, use distilled water.

I've done annual coolant flushes on this truck since I got it to try and get this crap out of here.  Apparently at some point the previous owners just poured a bunch of tap water into the radiator and ran it that way.  I just finished this year's coolant flush because the Prestone antifreeze I put in last year only tested good down to like 0 fahrenheit when I tested it about a month ago.  I drove it to get it up to operating temperature so the thermostat would open, then opened the drain plug as well as disconnecting one of the heater core hoses and forcing water backwards through it with my water hose to flush any residue out of it to keep it from getting clogged.  I then re-filled it with water from the hose, started the engine and let it get good and hot, then shut it off, drained it, and flushed the heater core again.  I flushed it twice with water after draining the old coolant before finally letting it drain for about a half hour and refilling it with antifreeze (trying Peak brand this year, we'll see if it maintains its potency).

This photo is on the 2nd flush, so a lot of the residue is gone.  That's supposed to be clear water you see in the cap there.  That brown flaky stuff is corrosion/rust residue, likely from a combination of places like the water pump, water jackets inside the engine block, etc.  That powder, those flakes, can clog the channels in your engine, radiator, and heater core that the water must pass through, causing reduced cooling efficiency, premature failure of components, and even a loss of heat (imagine finding out in the middle of winter that your heater core is clogged and now you have no window defroster or anything) if enough of it builds up inside the heater core.

Cold weather is approaching.  I recommend getting a tester and testing your coolant.  It should be rated at least 5-10 degrees lower than the absolute worst case scenario for your region.  Since it got down to -25 fahrenheit here last year (which is the coldest it has ever been I think), 50/50 is fine; this Peak stuff tested good down to -34 when I tested it.  If the world comes to an end and it gets down to -30 this winter I'll just go start my truck and let it idle all night.  If your engine coolant is several years old you might want to consider replacing it even if it tests good.  One of the purposes of your engine coolant is to lubricate water pump seals and protect the metals inside your engine, radiator, etc.  Over time those lubricating additives break down and lose their efficiency, so even if your coolant tests fine as far as freezing temperature goes, if it's 3 years old or more, I would recommend flushing it out and replacing it with new coolant, or having it done at a "reputable" repair shop.

Screenshot_from_MVI_6934.MOV.thumb.png.b

My truck pretty standard 2014 F150 had a sticker price of 42000.  Only extra was towing package otherwise it's just the Stock V8 XLT SuperCrew.

As for the look of the truck, I think the 2015+ models look very modern.. but I think the 2011-2014 models look nicer.

What I really like on the brand new ones (not sure if its 2015, or 2016) are the way the taillights look on the F150 @ night.  The way they made the lense - it almost looks like its holographic, or a prism effect - hard to explain - just have to look at it next time.  I think its just LED