'Crazy' teddy bear prompts protest

Political correctness strikes again.

MONTPELIER, Vt. -- The Vermont Teddy Bear Co. plans to continue selling its "Crazy for You Bear" through Valentine's Day, despite protests from mental health advocates.

The bear, wrapped in a white straitjacket with a red heart on the front, comes with commitment papers and is meant to convey out-of-control love, the company says.

"We recognize that this is a sensitive, human issue and sincerely apologize if we have offended anyone," the company said in a statement. "That was certainly not our intent. This bear was created in the spirit of Valentine's Day, and as with all of our bears, it was designed to be a light-hearted depiction of the sentiment of love."

Mental health advocates consider the bear "a tasteless use of marketing that stigmatizes persons with mental illness," Jerry Goessel, executive director of the Vermont chapter of the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill, wrote to the Shelburne-based company.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/vermont/a...rompts_protest/

its the Straitjacket with a Heart that would disturb some people

I know If i saw a Care Bear running around, I would put it in a straitjacket, and try to sell it...

:shifty:

:D

Oh good grief. People need to stop being so sensitive to every little thing.

585293550[/snapback]

So true (Y) it is crazy what people get mad about these days :rolleyes:

Oh good grief. People need to stop being so sensitive to every little thing.

585293550[/snapback]

Yeah I know right. Everyone is so sensitive about everything these days. It's a teddy bear.