Building a Skylift

Hi all,

What is everyones opinion on the contruction of a skylift? (A Device that hawls cargo from the earth to orbit, using part building etc.

Do you think it is possible?

what are the factors to consider?

Would it benifit space exploration in the long run?

How much $$$ to build?

Cheers all.

I don't think its physically possible to do something like that....

585328554[/snapback]

That's what it may seem, but the material they're gonna use is super strong. Well that's what they say. Either way, it's gonna be a hell of an expensive monument.

i've read about this on scientific american and a few other science magazines as well. in terms of physics, it is possible to be built (from what i've learned about forces, orbitals,and stuff.) a project like this would cost billions and billions of dollars, but once built, it would reduce future costs of putting things into orbit. I think they should also consider the dangers of this. what if a airplane crashes into it, or a meteroid of some sort? any force that can put it out of geosynchronous rotation can cause it to fall, and possibly kill a lot of people.

I'd say its possible for it to be built. If the elevator is connected to a sattelite that is orbitting in sync with the earth and pulling at it at the same time, the elevator would be able to sustain itself. Only problem is if the satellite for some reason stops orbitting in sync and then the whole elevator collapses. Also this would cost ALOT of money.

About the death & casualties, why not build it on an deserted island. Where the entire base is underground & the tower going through space from the ground.

585372212[/snapback]

around islands there is water

big pole fall into water = big splash +waves = tsunami :p