Ubuntu doesn't recognize FAT32 partition

I recently installed Ubuntu, and then I realized that it can't read partition with NTFS file system.

So I created a small partition which contains all the music file and video files, and its file system is FAT32.

However, Ubuntu still doesn't recognize it, and google didn't help. :unsure:

Do you have any solution for Ubuntu to recognize FAT32 partition?

Ubuntu does recognise them both FAT and NTFS... You have mounted the drives/partitions correctly?

585326296[/snapback]

I'm not sure what you mean..... I can see my small partition on WindowsXP so it must be properly installed. :o

Do I need any special workaround with Ubuntu to get it recognized?

You'll need to know where the partitions are in your system, type fdisk -l in the terminal and locate the drives/partitions you want to mount.

Then open the terminal you should by default be in your home directory. Type sudo mkdir Myfiles [you can replace Myfiles with anyname for the drive you want to mount]. You will then be asked for your root password, enter it in. Type mount [location of partition as defined by fdisk -l] /home/yourlogonname/Myfiles

The drive *should* appear infront of you. If not open /home/yourname/Myfiles

I get this message: "Cannot open /dev/hda"

BTW, my partition is on hda5.

Will I have to re-install Ubuntu??:cry::

585326474[/snapback]

No, not at all.

So the partition you want to mount is on hda5? "mount /dev/hda5 /home/yourloggonname/nameoffolderyoucreated" should work

No, not at all.

So the partition you want to mount is on hda5? "mount /dev/hda5 /home/yourloggonname/nameoffolderyoucreated" should work

585326481[/snapback]

Thank you, I'm ALMOST there, but not yet.

So, I logged in as root, and entered it, and this message pops "mount: you must specify the filesystem type"

And I didn't understand 'nameoffolderyoucreated', do I just name a folder I just created in the home folder?

You can use a floder in your home directory or in /mnt/ and it doesn't matter what you name it, just make sure to create it before mounting the disk.

And use -t vfat to specify the filesystem type.

So -> mount -t vfat /dev/hda5 /path/to/mount-directory <- should do it. /path/to/mount-directory is the folder you created where you want the files to show up.

Thank you guys, I finally can see my directory.

But I still can't open files inside the partition, when I click it it does absolutely nothing.

I'll post the screenshot for a reference.

post-57568-1106235570_thumb.jpg

First of all make sure you have the permissions set correctly. Make sure you own the directory where you mount it.

Now set it up so you have permissions to modify files there.

You'll want to mount it automatically at boot time anyway so add this line to /etc/fstab ->

/dev/hda5 /home/joohyun/Music vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

Now as root, unmount the partition -> umount /dev/hda5

Now as user do -> mount /dev/hda5

You should be able to access the files and it will be automounted at boot.