.mac worth it?

I will be getting a mac mini within the next couple weeks and I am thinking about signing up for .mac service. I would love to hear about any first hand experience anyone has had with it. Thanks! :D

Edited by jonkun

I will be getting a mac mini within the nexr couple weeks and I am thinking about signing up for .mac service.  I would love to hear about any first hand experience anyone has had with it.  Thanks! :D

585330582[/snapback]

I was also wondering how it was I got a Mac Mini on the way.

You could search through the old thread, its been discussed before a couple of times I remember. ;)

But... IMO, I don't find .Mac so useful. I have tired the 60 day trial and it didn't appeal so much to me so I didn't get it. But I am sure a lot of people does find it useful - like the Backup feature and iDisk. And now with Tiger, .Mac more than ever is basically tied with the OS.

It may be useful in some cases (ie. syncing multiple macs), but at the moment its just not worth the price. Perhaps once Tiger comes out and new uses for .mac are introduced, things will change.

I liked the iSync feature when I had 2 macs to contend with but now I've only got the one it hardly seems worth it anymore. But I decided against rejoining it last year. I have free webhosting, free email and there isn't a reason for me to buy it.

I love the ability to have my bookmarks and contacts with me anywhere and everywhere, even if it's not my own computer. People usually drool at the fact that the bookmarks are accessable from ANYWHERE. That is really cool.

I love the ease and functionality of the web host portion of the .mac. Even though I hold basic knowledge on making a webpage, there is nothing that beats the ease of having it all done for you in a simple manner. (Especially when you're short on time, it's a great way to get something elegant up in no time at all.)

For me, it's a must. I am currently in my second year of subscription. It's all up to you if you're only going to use it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

If you buy it with a new Mac I thnk you can get it for like $70. It may or may not be worth it. It is nice that you can create simple web pages with photos right from iPhoto. Also having your bookmarks with you wherever you go is pretty nice.

It is worth it if you are going to use the features they have availible. If you just want email, get it from Spymac.com, they even offer web based storage.