Voynich Manuscript

Explanation: The ancient text has no known title, no known author, and is written in no known language: what does it say and why does it have many astronomy illustrations? The mysterious book was once bought by an emperor, forgotten on a library shelf, sold for thousands of dollars, and later donated to Yale. Possibly written in the 15th century, the over 200-page volume is known most recently as the Voynich Manuscript, after its (re-)discoverer in 1912. Pictured above is an illustration from the book that appears to be somehow related to the Sun. The book labels some patches of the sky with unfamiliar constellations. The inability of modern historians of astronomy to understand the origins of these constellations is perhaps dwarfed by the inability of modern code-breakers to understand the book's text.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap050122.html

Pretty interesting...Haven't people studied and been able to understand atleast some parts of other ancient languages? Why can't they figure out this one? and whats with the mysterious constellations.

Probably warped here from another dimension if you ask me :alien:

Edited by Rob2687

Bah, out come the cynics, it's obviously from middle earth.

585337795[/snapback]

That's the most funny thing I've heard this entire week!

Anyways... this is interesting, I want a copy of it!

interesting. i have 2 thoughts

1. it means somethings

2. its just some guy in the 15th century that wrote a bunch of gibberish to create a mystery for us people of the future.

interesting.... reminds me of the Hypnerotomachia... i say that b/c im reading the book "The Rule of Four" right now which revolves around that book.

Weirdly enough, that page is my favourite image from the manuscript. I have it saved on my hard drive. <_<

One of the mysteries about the Voynich thing is how it mixes both Western and Eastern characteristics. For example, it's apparent in the 'sun' drawing that the art is fairly Oriental-looking. There are also diagrams of what appears to be plants (probably herbs) that resemble the kind of stuff the Chinese had been messing with.

On the other hand, the writing appears to have European characteristics. It's written in an alphabet (as opposed to ideography like the Chinese or a syllabary like the Japanese), it seems to be written left to right, and the frequency of the letters and the amount of letters per word resemble what would be common in certain Indo-European languages (English, for instance).

I haven't met a lot of other people who have found this subject particularly interesting, though, unfortunately. :/

Weirdly enough, that page is my favourite image from the manuscript. I have it saved on my hard drive. <_<

One of the mysteries about the Voynich thing is how it mixes both Western and Eastern characteristics. For example, it's apparent in the 'sun' drawing that the art is fairly Oriental-looking. There are also diagrams of what appears to be plants (probably herbs) that resemble the kind of stuff the Chinese had been messing with.

On the other hand, the writing appears to have European characteristics. It's written in an alphabet (as opposed to ideography like the Chinese or a syllabary like the Japanese), it seems to be written left to right, and the frequency of the letters and the amount of letters per word resemble what would be common in certain Indo-European languages (English, for instance).

I haven't met a lot of other people who have found this subject particularly interesting, though, unfortunately. :/

585406242[/snapback]

So it could be a book written in an oriental language but with Western or Indo-European letters? :huh: