Printing in Photoshop (LARGE)

Question

I have a large image (1938 x 2127) and it has lots of detail text and such and I dont want to resize it down anymore than i have. How would I be able to seperate it into pieces each capable of printing onto a single piece of paper so that I can put them all together for the large version when done? thanks! :ninja:

3 answers to this question

Thank you very much. It worked great! What i did was use a comment posted by this guy, just incase anyone else wants to know how:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: JT | July 4, 2004 02:18 PM

I've been trying to figure out how to do the same thing. I tried importing images from Photoshop to PrintShop but the latter program just isn't made for DTP and it doesn't work well.

So what you might try is find out what the actual printable dimensions of your printer are and divide the picture up into however many tiles it takes to print.

For example, my HP 870Cse here has margins of Top: 0.04" - Bottom: 0.46" - Left: 0.25" - Right: 0.25" which means I can print on exactly ( 8.5" - (left margin + right margin)) 8" by ( 11" - (top margin - bottom margin)) 10.5" so an 8" x 10.5" image on 8.5" x 11" paper.

I'm using Photoshop 6.0 so the exact instructions may vary but I open my poster size image (21.75" x 33.75" in my case) and go to View > New Guide and Check Horizontal and enter 10.5 then OK.

View > New Guide, check Horizontal and enter 21, click OK.

View > New Guide, check Horizontal and enter 31.5 then OK.

Now do View > New Guide, check Vertical and enter 8 and click OK.

View > New Guide, check Vertical and enter 16 and click OK.

There, now the image is divided up into chunks my printer can handle.

Select the Marquee tool and, with Snap To > Guides enabled, select each section and copy it to a new image then print it.

Note I haven't actually tried this yet as I'm not done with my poster but I think it should work. Oh, and don't forget to flatten your image first too!

I have a large image (1938 x 2127). . .

While I agree this is a large image for a PC monitor, for inkjet printing it's not all that large.

At a resolution of 60 pixels/cm, your piece would only be ~33 x 36 cm.

(Or, in inches. . . at a resolution of 150 pixels/in, your piece would only be ~13" x 14".)

But then, 'large' is a relative term.

Edited by odious malefactor