Apple's Mac mini - Tempting PC Users Everywhere

IMG_1466.jpg

Although it uses desktop memory, the Mac mini uses a 2.5? notebook hard drive. The base $499 version comes with a 40GB drive and the $599 version comes with a 80GB drive. What is surprising however is that some units appear to come with Seagate?s 5400RPM Momentus ST94011A drive, including the unit reviewed here today. The 5400RPM drive features a 8MB buffer and is fairly snappy for a 2.5? drive, it?s still much, much slower than a 3.5? desktop drive, but it?s a nice surprise to see a 5400RPM drive used in the mini. We have been getting reports of some units coming with 4200RPM drives however, right now it seems to be luck of the draw as to which drive you get.

Complete Review[/b]e Review

I'm using a mac right now (thank you, college) and I'm seriously considering buying that mac mini.. Of course, not to replace my desktop (games) or my kickass HP laptop (work). I think I'll use it to play music (windows media player no less) and chat (aim/msn).

Microsoft > Apple, but OSX is hot!

I still do not understand the hype w/ this thing. I clicked on the link and have read the first page. Now why would I want to buy a Mac Mini when I can buy a Dell that comes with an LCD monitor & has a processor that is twice as fast, twice the RAM for the same price? Do not tell me OS X either, if you want to rant about that convince me why I should switch from XP SP2 to OS X.

Now why would I want to buy a Mac Mini when I can buy a Dell that comes with an LCD monitor & has a processor that is twice as fast, twice the RAM for the same price?

585355865[/snapback]

Go ahead and buy the Del(Y)Y), I'm sure you are not missing out on anything;);) (SARCASM):D:D

Well, if you don't like OSX the Mini isn't such a good deal IMHO (I think that it seems to rock BTW). Maybe if you want a small, quiet and nice-looking computer. If I were to choose between the Mini and a Mini-ITX sytem I'd choose the mini anyday....

Yeah, I am kinda tempted by the mini :). Unfortunately i neither have the money nor the space (I mean for Screen, Keybord etc).

I still do not understand the hype w/ this thing.  I clicked on the link and have read the first page.  Now why would I want to buy a Mac Mini when I can buy a Dell that comes with an LCD monitor & h a processor that is twice as fastb>, twice the RAM for the same price?  Do not tell me OS X either, if you want to rant about that convince me why I should switch from XP SP2 to OS X.

585355865[/snapback]

Its funny to see the amount of people, who over and over again compare PC Processor speeds to Mac Processor speeds.

Its comparing Apples and oranges.

Its as ignorant as me saying that my old P4, Which runs at 2.66 GHz, must be better than an AMD FX-55 cuz its only 2.6.

Also, the mac mini has better Graphics and Optical drive.

On a side note, Who the hell wants a dell?:wacko:o::wacko:o:

The reason people want a Mac mini is because it is the first entry level Mac released, well, ever. So for those who know nothing about computers they'll gravitate towards it because of its looks, for those who already have a system they can try it out and add a mac to their collection, and there are those who just want to have a Mac and can now do it for cheaply.

On a side note, Who the hell wants a dell??:wacko::?:wacko:o:

585355895[/snapback]

PCWorld: In the fourth quarter, Dell edged out Hewlett-Packard in what is usually a strong quarter for HPDell shipped 8.8 million units :whistle:e: during the quarter to HP's 8.2 million units. Dell also grew twice as fast as HP from the fourth quarter of 2003 to the same period in 2004, according to IDC.

While many here wouldn't choose the Dell, the general public will go for the most bang for their buck.

Dell computers IMHO are awesome! I have bought quite a few of them (workstations & servers) over the past several years for work. I get next day service if any hardware components fail, they are always very reliable.

But, I too want a Mac mini, just for novelty purposes only ;)

how do u figure out if you have a 5400rpm drive or a 4200?

585355963[/snapback]

Either they took it apart and looked at the model number, or it was in the system information panel. Sometimes the model code contains the RPM number.

Snipe, You'd be crazy to switch from XP SP2 to OSX. It's not worth it. These aqua effects amuse Apple Fanboys and keeps them content. It is an organized, neat operating system, but it's no XP. You can dig deeper into Windows. You can feel a connection with the inner workings of the OS. With OSX, it's all on the outside. You only interact with the applications- granted, it does that well.

I guess the best way to describe it is by using a car analogy. With OSX, it's like having a nice, feature-filled car that gets you from A to B. However with XP, it's much more than that. You take care of the car, you pop the hood, you can "interact" with the workings of the car.

Ok, I'm sounding crazy now. So the point is: Don't switch. Instead, get it as an alternative. It's perfect for that.

This makes me wonder why Apple doesn't bring back the Switch campaign again.

Surely they would be more successful this time, since they for once have an affordable product.

This makes me wonder why Apple doesn't bring back the Switch campaign again.

Surely they would be more successful this time, since they for once have an affordable product.

585356196[/snapback]

It is if you have everything else that you need already. For someone with no hardware this is not a good deal - compared to the dell.

I am only mentioning this dell in my posts because that is what was compared to it in the article. i do not have a dell and i do not want one.

That is not what he said, go read it again.  He was talking about 2.66 vs 2.6

This is comparing 1.25 to 2.8, which is totally different.

585356233[/snapback]

Yeah he was comparing a 2.6GHz FX-55 to a 2.66GHz Pentium but the FX-55 easily outpaces 3.6+GHz Pentium processors. The architectures are totally different hence you cant really compare them clock for clock.

Yeah he was comparing a 2.6GHz FX-55 to a 2.66GHz Pentium but the FX-55 easily outpaces 3.6+GHz Pentium processors. The architectures are totally different hence you cant really compare them clock for clock.

585356258[/snapback]

isn't that in part because the FX is 64 bit?

these processors we are talking about are not

We have been getting reports of some units coming with 4200RPM drives however, right now it seems to be luck of the draw

now thats kind of crappy. luck of the draw desides if you get the slower hard drive?

pfff