Apple's Mac mini - Tempting PC Users Everywhere

I didnt have the time to go through the 8 pages of what seem to be a flame fest, but I wanted to add that I know at least one person who made the switch thanks to the Mac Mini, and that is my GF. .

I also am a cross platform user, I have 2 macs (Dual G4 and G4 powerbook, and 2 Windows comp just for myself) and being that I do use both OS's, I can say for my GF, at the end of the day the Mac suits her needs better than a PC does. I am also selfish and know it suits my needs as well, because I wont have to go cleaning up all the spyware and adaware she winds up getting, even though she is protected, and in turn playing Tech Support.

I am going to set up a user for her on my Seconday Windows comp, so she will not be completely rid of Windows right away and to ease the adjustment for her, but I think when all is said and done a Mac is the better computer for her to use personally.

WOW! I was so down ... and had so much time on my hands ... that i read all the posts *yeah that was a torture* ... but surely it was fun reading all that .. :D ... thanx for cheering me up ... somewhat!

As for the debate ... I am a happy PC user, who loves working on XP .. and all that I can do with it.

On the other hand, I adore the Mac - I sure want to get my hands on the Mac Mini ... i want a taste of it.

And for all those who were talking in negative for the Mac: If you havent tried something ... if you havent tasted something ... how can you say that it is worthless?? Agreed that the price may 'seem' little more than a complete PC ... but i think it's worth it, for having a mac.

WOW! I was so down ... and had so much time on my hands ... that i read all the posts *yeah that was a torture* ... but surely it was fun reading all that .. :D ... thanx for cheering me up ... somewhat!

As for the debate ... I am a happy PC user, who loves working on XP .. and all that I can do with it.

On the other hand, I adore the Mac - I sure want to get my hands on the Mac Mini ... i want a taste of it.

And for all those who were talking in negative for the Mac: If you havent tried something ... if you havent tasted something ... how can you say that it is worthless?? Agreed that the price may 'seem' little more than a complete PC ... but i think it's worth it, for having a mac.

585357199[/snapback]

To continue in that thread, and to extend the ongoing car analogy, one can buy a car that's faster than the corvette, performs better than the corvette, but come on...a corvette is a CORVETTE. I doubt people would start flaming corvette owners because they dished out some extra cash to get a damn sexy vehicle.

also, you can't forget the software you get with the Mac. The $149 OS is included, the $49 iLife is included. So really, the computer itself is only $300...if you look at it that way.

However, I myself will never get a Mac mini. I've never seen the benefit of having a mac desktop...but that could be becaue i already have the best of both worlds, a 17" powerbook and an athlon 64 gaming rig. I am trying to convince my parents that they want a mac mini though. if they bite, then i can stop 'fixing' their PC all the time...ugh.

And yeah .. a 1.26 Ghz Mac and 2.6 Ghz PC are two totally different things ... the numerics are no guarantee that one is faster than the other, bcoz of their different architectures.

Say, comparing a 1.26 Ghz Mac with a 1.26 (assuming) Ghz PC, will they have the same performance (assuming that same type of HDD and memory and everything else is same)? Which one will be faster?? In this case a Mac would be a LOT faster than a PC! Why? Again bcoz of the architecture difference.

And yeah .. a 1.26 Ghz Mac and 2.6 Ghz PC are two totally different things ... the numerics are no guarantee that one is faster than the other, bcoz of their different architectures.

Say, comparing a 1.26 Ghz Mac with a 1.26 (assuming) Ghz PC, will they have the same performance (assuming that same type of HDD and memory and everything else is same)? Which one will be faster?? In this case a Mac would be a LOT faster than a PC! Why? Again bcoz of the architecture difference.

585357254[/snapback]

Also, each platform has its software customized to best utilize the architecture it's working on.

For example, Photoshop for PC is optimized to best utilize an x86 chip, while Photoshop for OSX is optimized to use all of a G4 or a G5. Photoshop CS running on a 1.0GHz x86 chip won't be so speedy, but it's plenty speedy on a 1.0GHz G4.

There are just too many differences to really compare the two. Some people have done things like run Photoshop on a PC and a Mac, but how do you really equate a P4 with a G4...what speeds do you pick? All you can really go by is what Apple's marketing department tells you that G4 is comparable to, and you know that's going to be a slight exaggeration.

Webopedia seems to agree with me...it sure seems like the mini could be classified as a laptop..

Webopedia:

Laptop

(n.) A small, portable computer -- small enough that it can sit on your lap. Nowadays, laptop computers are more frequently called notebook computers, though technically laptops are somewhat smaller in size than notebooks.

Go stand in the corner

IMG_1501.jpg

So ... according to you ... both of these are laptops?? :unsure: :pinch:

And here's an extract from Wikipedia about Laptop (Link):

Laptops usually have LCD displays and smaller SO-DIMM (Small Outline DIMM) chips for their RAM. In addition to a built-in keyboard, they may utilize a touchpad (also known as a trackpad) or a pointing stick for input.

There you go. Clear? I hope.

i'd rather get a cheap dell for 599, it would be many times better than that mac

but, my next computer will probably be built one

585357387[/snapback]

Just to get curious for a moment, when you say "it would be many times better than that mac", could you expand? What functions would a budget Dell perform in such a superior manner than a budget Mac? I hope you don't say games, because that Dell in the article uses the Intel integrated graphics chip...hardly a game-worthy graphics solution.

I'm not being a fanboy, just want to try to keep people from making such baseless statements. If you come back with some tasks that the Dell can do far better than the Mac, then more power to you.

63 posts removed. Good going! :wacko:

Look, if you don't like it, you're allow to share that. If you do like it, you're allowed to share that too. However, let's not sweat the small stuff and try to convince people here. Most people already have their mind set on Macs or OS X already. It's fine to correct someone, but don't take it personally...

Excellent article.

Im planning to buy a 1.4 with 512 RAM.

The only thing Im now worried is comment about display resolutions larger than 1280 x 960.

I am running a DVI LCD 17" Monitor at 1280 x 1024, does anyone have this configuration with a 1.4 Mac mini with 512 RAM? How is the performance?

63 posts removed. Good going!  :wacko:

585357717[/snapback]

Thanks (Y)

Look, if you don't like it, you're allow to share that.

585357717[/snapback]

Agree with you here but there is a difference between sharing dislike and trolling/bashing. Clearly this thread was flame fest for most of the PC trolls as it kept coming up on the main page.

Excellent article.

Im planning to buy a 1.4 with 512 RAM.

The only thing Im now worried is comment about display resolutions larger than 1280 x 960.

I am running a DVI LCD 17" Monitor at 1280 x 1024, does anyone have this configuration with a 1.4 Mac mini with 512 RAM?  How is the performance?

585357839[/snapback]

Well, I'm running a Powerbook, but the specs should be around the same arena. I've connected it up to my 23" HP L2335 at 1920x1200 and it's not a problem. I wouldn't expect any problems with that res.

This is a good computer for people who aren't very good with computers and would like to get their feet wet with OS X. Even though OS X is a pretty easy operating system if you ask me.

I'll be passing on this though, I plan on getting a 12" Powerbook (Hopefully with Superdrive, 80 GB HD, and 1 GB RAM) because I could really use the portability.

wow this thread really cleared up a lot... must admit im getting sick of trolling around here and think trolled posts should be removed similarly to how they were here... anyways, I love PC's but for once Apple did something semi-nice for people with this. I'm thinking about getting one just to learn development on the OSX platform... learning new things is always good

Will OSX Tiger work on this thing when it is released? I know its a G4 and thats 32bit but I haven't heard anything on if tiger will be a pure 64bit or will have a 32bit version also.. Thanks!

This was quite a read especially after taking interest in buying an Apple Mac mini. I had been looking for a in-depth review for the Mac mini for a bit and never did find anything until this thread. It really did help me, I can now choose what to upgrade, buy and whatnot. I did manage to get a few helpful tips from the article as well but one thing is the writer did mention not to buy an Apple mouse, I can see why but I would feel awkward having thing matching then some funny looking mouse, I guess it is just me and I do see the benefits on using something like the Logitech MX range with those extra buttons (assuming they can be used on OSX).

Another problem is the lack of USB ports, I seem to use USB ports a lot and trying to reduce the price once I buy one, I would not be getting Bluetooth installed and the problem is that I have been using wireless for quite some time and don't really want to go back to cords everywhere. I also assume the Apple keyboard uses USB and then there is a mouse and those two easily take up the USB ports.

(Actually, reading a bit of "A Month with a Mac", I guess there's USB ports in the monitor?)

Anyways, the Mac mini will certainly be mine and I will be making the switch in some time.

Will OSX Tiger work on this thing when it is released? I know its a G4 and thats 32bit but I haven't heard anything on if tiger will be a pure 64bit or will have a 32bit version also.. Thanks!

585358365[/snapback]

Tiger will run on the Mac mini, its been discussed many many times in the Apple forums. ;)

Tiger will run on the Mac mini, its been discussed many many times in the Apple forums. ;)

585358436[/snapback]

well I never hang out in apple forums ;) this would be the first mac I've ever bought so I haven't had time to do too much research into it much besides experience I've had with it at work

well I never hang out in apple forums ;) this would be the first mac I've ever bought so I haven't had time to do too much research into it much besides experience I've had with it at work

585358459[/snapback]

Cool.

FYI Tiger will be 32bit. The only thing stopping Tiger from running on Mac mini is Core Image which initially had a minimum specs of 64MB Videocards but this spec is now removed. ;)

All you windows users who try to compare clock speeds of G4's and pentium processors, check this article out at ars technica. Not that i expect any of you to actually understand most of it, but just at least listen to what people who know what they're talking about have to say about this matter. It is clear that powerPC processors kick ass compared to pentiums. granted the FSB is a little slow.. but then again, theres the G5 with tht 1.25 GHz FSB. just... read.

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu/p4andg4e.ars

Cool.

FYI Tiger will be 32bit. The only thing stopping Tiger from running on Mac mini is Core Image which initially had a minimum specs of 64MB Videocards but this spec is now removed. ;)

585358529[/snapback]

actually tiger will be 64bit and will be able to scale down to run on a G4 at 32bit, see here at Apple.com