Apple's Mac mini - Tempting PC Users Everywhere

i just visited my local apple store earlier today...

they're entirely sold out of mac minis, and every single model of the iPod.

i must say, the mac mini is a good start for apple in the low end market. See... people actually do want one

Edited by giantsnyy

could someone please explain why my NEW mac mini has a USED hard drive in it? (it's even marked used as i said in my previous post)

585370298[/snapback]

Call Apple or ask your reseller.

OSX looks pretty cool I'll admit. I remember the older OSes that my elementary school had, jeez those were horrible. Even though this is the cheapest Mac I STILL feel it's overpriced. $499 USD?! I can get a PC with an AMD 64, 512MB DDR400, SATA, DVD burning capabilities, 160GB 7200 RPM. I've always wanted a cheap Mac for just browsing, music, and chat but $499 is too much for what you get (or don't get). I don't see why thye had to go with laptop drives, this is a DESKTOP. No one needs to frequently move this thing and the extra inch wouldn't have made much of a difference in weight when you can get better performance (and ease of switching to a larger hard drive).

Wow, leave it to scared, paranoid Billy G. fanboys to screw up a great thread, spouting BS left and right.  All the "I can get a better PC from *insert OEM here*" arugements are useless, as a PC from Dell, HP, Compaq, or any other maunfacturer won't run OS X, won't run iLife, WILL get viruses, and WILL get spyware/adware.  That and all Celerons or 2.4 gHz Pentium 4 aren't as powerful as that "underpowered" G4.  Also, 256 mb is plenty for OSX, I did it for a month on a 1.2 ghz G4 ibook, and it was snappier than any Wintel PC I've used (including 2.8 gHz machines with a gig of RAM)

585364297[/snapback]

Yeah, and leave it to the Mac fanboys who think OSX will never have virus'. Stop being an idiot. You're just as bad as the Windows fanboys.

if you guys are comparing pc and mac based on pure hardware, mac is overpriced no doubt. but if you think about it. the mac mini comes with software eveything a simple pc user looks for. out of the box, just hook it up to existing pc hardware and away it goes.

however if you give it a little wait, the mac mini will prob get some upgrades with no price changes. ie speed bumps, tiger soon etc. it seems theyre adjusting prices to the mini constantly.

I can safely say I will be buying the mac mini. I can even tell you why.

I'm bored with Windows. I've used Windows since 95, and I'm bored with it. 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, and now its 2005....and nothing really new has come from the Windows team. Sure Longhorn is on the way, but I'm tired of waiting for it, and I still feel that it will be disappointing. I can't put my finger on it, but I feel like something will just scream out to me, same old Microsoft.

I consider myself a semi-advanced Windows user, but I'm not interested in how it reads and writes files to the disk, I'm not interested in all the wonderful ways you can take the OS apart and change the way it looks and feels, because at the end of the day, it's still Windows, it still does what it did 4 years ago when we bought it. It still has the same Virus warning we were getting with 95. and still in high numbers. I'm not saying OSX is Virus free. I'm a firm believer that we can not even compare it to Windows Viruses, because there are more Windows that Macs.

I digress. Buying the Mac Mini will give me something new to do, something new to look at.

And those who argue about the hardware need to rethink. Of course the Apple Mac is going to run better than a PC with similar Hardware specs. Everything about the Apple Mac, is designed and built to work with each other. The OS is designed and built to work with the Hardware and Vice Versa. A PC...The Hardware is designed and written to work with the OS. The OS is not written to work with the Hardware.

On that note, I leave before I find something else to say...

Call Apple or ask your reseller.

585370364[/snapback]

talked to the apple store tonight about it and they said they've seen 10 so far in this area with used drives in them... this just sucks.. you expect your system to be totaly NEW!

And those who argue about the hardware need to rethink. Of course the Apple Mac is going to run better than a PC with similar Hardware specs. Everything about the Apple Mac, is designed and built to work with each other. The OS is designed and built to work with the Hardware and Vice Versa. A PC...The Hardware is designed and written to work with the OS. The OS is not written to work with the Hardware.

On that note, I leave before I find something else to say...

585370701[/snapback]

Yeah but the Anandtech review PROVES that the 5400(or 4200)RPM drive severely limits the speed of installing applications or writing to hard drive. Why oh why couldn't they have just put a desktop hard drive! I would have seriously considered the Mac mini. Review also says that 512MB RAM is a must...

You know, 7200rpm laptop drives do exist. And they aren't too expensive. A 7200rpm 40gig laptop drive can be obtained for under 100 dollars. Sell the one that came with it and you may save a lot of cash.

I'm not saying the 4200 was a good decision, but upgrading it is seriously not hard.

You know, 7200rpm laptop drives do exist. And they aren't too expensive. A 7200rpm 40gig laptop drive can be obtained for under 100 dollars. Sell the one that came with it and you may save a lot of cash.

I'm not saying the 4200 was a good decision, but upgrading it is seriously not hard.

585371453[/snapback]

where in the world are you getting a good 40GB 2.5" drive at 7200RPM for under $100? the cheapest 7200 drive like that I can find anywhere is $114.00 for a good quality one... and that is $40 more then the 5400RPM model costs

585371453[/snapback]

don't you have to spend even more $$.......

don't you have to spend even more $$.......

585376085[/snapback]

yea it would end up costing more, there are even 10,000 RPM notebook drives too now but they are very expensive

the review is real good & actually given a chance i wouldnt mind getting a mac mini with a 17inch apple display for mahself , cuz even im pretty bored of the whole windows thingy

Its funny to see the amount of people, who over and over again compare PC Processor speeds to Mac Processor speeds.

Its comparing Apples and oranges.

Its as ignorant as me saying that my old P4, Which runs at 2.66 GHz, must be better than an AMD FX-55 cuz its only 2.6.

Also, the mac mini has better Graphics and Optical drive.

On a side note, Who the hell wants a dell?  :wacko:  :wacko:

585355895[/snapback]

the mac mini chocked when more than 1 app was open

intel 2.6ghz processor pcs with 256mb ram dont choke like that :rolleyes:

Its funny to see the amount of people, who over and over again compare PC Processor speeds to Mac Processor speeds.

Its comparing Apples and oranges.

Its as ignorant as me saying that my old P4, Which runs at 2.66 GHz, must be better than an AMD FX-55 cuz its only 2.6.

Also, the mac mini has better Graphics and Optical drive.

On a side note, Who the hell wants a dell?  :wacko:  :wacko:

585355895[/snapback]

Who wants a Dell ??? how about a very lot of people as its the No 1 PC brand.

yea it would end up costing more, there are even 10,000 RPM notebook drives too now but they are very expensive

585381369[/snapback]

Just because a hard drive is 2.5" doesn't necessarily mean it is for notebooks. The only 2.5" 10,000 RPM drive I know of is the Savvio from Seagate, which has an Ultra 320 SCSI interface and is primarily designed to be used in blade servers. Since the Mac mini doesn't have a SCSI controller and neither do the majority of notebooks I don't see how this is relevant?

Who wants a Dell ??? how about a very lot of people as its the No 1 PC brand.

585383796[/snapback]

Not me, that's for sure. I really don't understand why people buy computers from Dell. Their entry-level PCs are crippled (the Dimension 2400 doesn't have an AGP slot), you get re-directed to a call centre in India if you want support (great if you want to have to explain everything twice) and their computers no sense of style. At least with Apple you get to speak to someone who is English.

Not me, that's for sure. I really don't understand why people buy computers from Dell. Their entry-level PCs are crippled (the Dimension 2400 doesn't have an AGP slot), you get re-directed to a call centre in India if you want support (great if you want to have to explain everything twice) and their computers no sense of style. At least with Apple you get to speak to someone who is English.

585386342[/snapback]

i agree :yes: :yes: :yes:

Yeah but the Anandtech review PROVES that the 5400(or 4200)RPM drive severely limits the speed of installing applications or writing to hard drive. Why oh why couldn't they have just put a desktop hard drive! I would have seriously considered the Mac mini. Review also says that 512MB RAM is a must...

585371196[/snapback]

A 3.5" desktop hard drive would have increased the size of the Mac mini and would also generate more heat. As you can see from the graph below the 100GB 5,400 RPM drive is almost as as the 60GB 7,200 RPM drive. Since the difference if so small I think most people would rather have more space than more speed.

Mac_mini_HD_benchmarks.png

Click here for more info.