Turn ON or OFF

Do you guys leave your PC ON or OFF?  

445 members have voted

1. 1. Do you guys leave your PC ON or OFF?

• ON
    • OFF

On 24/7.

Actually it has not been shut down since may last year!  :)

585356158[/snapback]

dont you install anything?

I'd also like to know about the power consumption of a laptop running in standby.

Just about always on... Of course there are restarts for various reasons, but I don't shut it off at night or anything. I just don't feel like it...

Mine stays on all day. I tend to turn it off at night because of the noise, but if I have a load of programs open, I might leave it on to save opening them all again in the morning.

Seeing as how Ive pretty much abandoned my PC (collecting dust until some games come out), my iBook is running 24/7. I had to reboot today because of the software update, but other than that I usually have uptimes of weeks on end. Between classes at my Uni. it just goes to sleep. The thing can last a month sleeping on battery power. I always thought that was cool :unsure:

Leave it on. It's actually better for your system if you leave it on all the time. The more you have it flux in cooling and warming the more chance of a failure in the future. If you system stays at a constant temp all the time, it runs better. Like the platters in your hard drive for instance. When they get hot the platters expand a little and then it's off, it cools down and contracts. It's metal but still does this. So after a while your drive kind of craps because it's kind of like an old house with the wood always warming up and cooling off and it does damage to the wood after a while.

If you don't like the noise, try getting some larger fans. They spin slower, but push a ton of air through your system and you can barely hear them. I can only hear my graphic card fan in both of my systems. The proc and case fans use 18mm fans (or whatever the size is of those larger case fans like in Antec cases).

I've never noticed a large difference in my electric bill either. I only turn my PC off and unplug it if I know I'm not going to use it for like a week or something. Then I do that so if there is a brown out or something stupid it won't effect my PC.

All in all, it's all about preference. If you like it on at times and off others, it's all up to you.

Just remember to blow the dust out of your case and fans every few months to keep the cooling going and it helps to not ware out the fans since the dust on the fins makes them work harder. I blow mine out every month.

On 24/7.

Actually it has not been shut down since may last year!

dont you install anything?

I'd also like to know about the power consumption of a laptop running in standby.

585358408[/snapback]

Of course. I restart when a system update requires so. :)

But its still On when it restarts....

The most my PowerBook have slept was 3 days, it still had ~50% of the battery power left. So that means 6-7 days on one battery charge!

My Computer hasn't been off since about mid October '04. Before that who knows. It was only off then because of a power cut. I sleep in the same room as it, and I can't sleep without it on. It act's like whtie noise. It blocks out every other noise I might here, like air in pipes and wind and rain outside.

I leave mine on constantly. And it's a laptop. The only time it's shut off is if I'm taking it on a long trip, and even then it's in hibernation mode.

System Up Time: 14 Days, 14 Hours, 47 Minutes, 50 Seconds

yeah about 24/6 for me and no problems

585371233[/snapback]

me too..well 24/7 :D mines not in my room. its downstairs so i just leave it on..takes too long to start up

Nope, I turn mine off at night. No point in wasting electricity, but I do leave my downloads on when I am at work. * 12 hour shifts can be a bitch *