Turn ON or OFF

Do you guys leave your PC ON or OFF?  

445 members have voted

1. 1. Do you guys leave your PC ON or OFF?

• ON
    • OFF

i usually leave my pc off and i turn on when i like to sit on it. so, i turn on,off,on,off like 5 to 6 time in a day. Is it good for my pc's future. What do u think i should do.. leave it on or off?????

585355619[/snapback]

You'd be better off not sitting on your PC! :laugh:

Mine is on all the time, running SETI@Home 2. I do reboot for driver/software updates, and it does get turned off if I'm going to be away for a while. Noise isn't a problem since my parents won't let me keep my computer in my room.

ON, specially if you have something other than dial up, what's the point of having a PC if not having it on, doing "illegal" things :p :shifty: The most uptime i've had though is about 7 months, thanks to local power company which sucks big time, and my UPS when bye-bye on a power surge

• Like 1

My desktops are on 24/7 except for the occasional 3 or 4 day vacation when I'll turn them off. My laptop is on all the time, but put to sleep when it's in its case.

• 3 months later...

I really dont know what to do.. I mean yes.. I turn my monitor off when I am not sitting here and it goes into standby and hiber.. But the version of windows xp Hewlett Packard put on here is like there version and it messes up , and ev everyone says oh thats b/c of your standby and hiber and crap........ :no:

Everyone has told me to leave it on but idk I have a guilty feeling .. Why you ask? i dont know why.......

I mean so ive hurd it only costs 18 bucks to leave my pc on and yes they dont use that much energy and yes they use less energy than a fridge but I am always on here doin stuff durin the day up untill 3 to 4 am usually since I am sleeping.. I gotta bad sleeping habbit going right now.. ( lmao, lol )

Usually I let it go into Hiber and then wake up at 12 or 1 and turn it back on,

I know it was a long time for it to be off but everone in this Yahoo computer chat room is like well your gonna wear it out doin it that way, but only shut down if your goin to your classes or gonna be gone for more than 2 hours but leave it on if your home ....

help??

What is the right thing to do????

Thank you

Christopher M

Dallas Tx

Personally i keep it on pretty much solidly during the day, off at night; when I'm at college it's on since I use VNC to access my files. And, as people have said here, constant turning on and off isn't going to be good for any component in your system to be honest.

leave it on :yes:

585917084[/snapback]

I dont know why But I feel " Guilty " leaving it on all the time.. I guess its b/c I am a " SEMI" TREE HUGGER..... :cry: :ninja:

Im mister... gets on to my parents for leaving lights on when they aint in the room.. lol yeah, i still live with them im only 21 havent found a place of my own yet... heh :angry: :crazy: :(

But lol, ive had so many problems out of this POS Hp.. its redicilus.. lmao....

so im like in the middle right now :( :blink: :wacko:

Leave my laptop on 24/7 heck it hasnt been switched off since I bought it about a year ago, except for when I upgrade something on it, I dont move it anywhere either so you know its perm on my desk

I dont know why But I feel " Guilty " leaving it on all the time.. I guess its b/c I am a " SEMI" TREE HUGGER.....    :cry:  :ninja: 

Im mister... gets on to my parents for leaving lights on when they aint in the room.. lol yeah, i still live with them im only 21 havent found a place of my own yet... heh  :angry:    :crazy:  :( 

But lol, ive had so many problems out of this POS Hp.. its redicilus.. lmao....

so im like in the middle right now  :(  :blink:    :wacko:

585918500[/snapback]

Please don't abuse the text formatting options. :no:

Personally i keep it on pretty much solidly during the day, off at night; when I'm at college it's on since I use VNC to access my files.  And, as people have said here, constant turning on and off isn't going to be good for any component in your system to be honest.

585917016[/snapback]

Yeah, ive hurd that to but I wonder how much energy its useing being on and no one sitting there and the Monitor in standby and powered off and speakers off?

I switch mine off when Im not using it, or on standby. Is'nt it better for the components?

Well I must be doing something right, its been running fine for about 5 years now. P3-700, with XP, few tweeks and it runs almost as fast as my P4-3.2

The only time mine is off is when the power cuts out. Nothing wrong with leaving the computer on all day/night ... just be sure to clean out your system of the dust bunnies every once in a while. lol.