Component Video Cables (Xbox)

I just ordered a new TV that has component inputs and I'd like to take advantage of this by getting component cables for my Xbox. (I use it as a MCE Extender as well). A froogle search only comes up with the Monster cables, which is a great name but they cost around 50 bucks. Ebay has some no name ones listed for around 5-10 dollars. How significant would the difference in picture quality be between these two cables?

Monster

Cheaper Ebay Example

I bought an OEM (Microsoft XBOX branded) component video/audio cables (HD cable) from Bestbuy a while back... Don't know about the cheaper ones... but I don't know if the Monster Cables are that much better than the Microsoft ones...

The Monster Cables are great quality but only come with stereo audio cables as opposed to some other wiring bundles that come with digital surround wires instead. You need to look at how you will be connecting the xbox. If you are running the sound straight through the TV, dpeneding on the TV, go with the Monster, otherwise go for the cheaper stuff. If you tell me the model of the TV, I can general tell you if the monster wires would be a waste or not.

TV:

Sony-WEGA FD Trinitron 32" Flat-Tube TV with Memory Stick Media Slot-KV32FS320

Receiver (impulse buy, might upgrade):

Sony-420W 5.1-Channel Home Theater System-HTDDW660

The receiver does have an optical input, and the 4.99 Ebay cables have an optical out. How much is an optical cable (~3ft)? Expensive if I recall.

Nice Set. Although I'm a little iffy on Sony Receivers.

Either way, you don't have a TV that's going to demand super quality cables (such as an HD set), so I think going for the no name wires with optical out may be best.

Nice Set. Although I'm a little iffy on Sony Receivers.

Either way, you don't have a TV that's going to demand super quality cables (such as an HD set), so I think going for the no name wires with optical out may be best.

585363066[/snapback]

Awesome, thanks for the reply.

Go with the no name wires. A wire is a wire.

Monster is a ripoff. Someone once measured the electrical characteristics of a Monster cable and an old coathanger. They were the same.

Go with the no name wires. A wire is a wire.

Monster is a ripoff. Someone once measured the electrical characteristics of a Monster cable and an old coathanger. They were the same.

585363459[/snapback]

That's pure BS. Even cheap 99cent wires would outperform a coathanger so yeah. Some Monster wires are really good, some are only decent. Either way, it doesn't matter, cause I didn't even recommend monster for this instance. It's called recommending based on needs, not opinion.

whats wrong with the microsoft branded HD pack? cable quality seems decent, and it has optical out as well. goes for $19.99 at best buy or wherever...

whats wrong with the microsoft branded HD pack?  cable quality seems decent, and it has optical out as well.  goes for $19.99 at best buy or wherever...

585364243[/snapback]

I was oging to recommend it but the damn website photos don't show the freaking jacks so I wanted to be careful about what I did recommend. Also, though, with that, he has to then buy extra component wires and such. The cost isn't just 20 bucks, then. I like the idea of being able to use standard cables, but that $20 is misleading.

That's pure BS. Even cheap 99cent wires would outperform a coathanger so yeah. Some Monster wires are really good, some are only decent. Either way, it doesn't matter, cause I didn't even recommend monster for this instance. It's called recommending based on needs, not opinion.

585363471[/snapback]

I can't cite a source, so you could be right. :)

Personally, I went with a MadCatz component cable. It came with both PS2 and Xbox jacks.

I can't cite a source, so you could be right. :)

Personally, I went with a MadCatz component cable. It came with both PS2 and Xbox jacks.

585365217[/snapback]

I've had bad experiences with MadCatz products in the past and they always seem a bit too highley priced for what they are. If they were 10 bucks cheaper, they'd be easier to consider.

I was oging to recommend it but the damn website photos don't show the freaking jacks so I wanted to be careful about what I did recommend. Also, though, with that, he has to then buy extra component wires and such. The cost isn't just 20 bucks, then. I like the idea of being able to use standard cables, but that $20 is misleading.

585364254[/snapback]

you don't have to buy the extra component wires anymore, they come with the microsoft HD pack attached. it's a lot better than the old model.

you don't have to buy the extra component wires anymore, they come with the microsoft HD pack attached.  it's a lot better than the old model.

585365532[/snapback]

Hmm, how come they don't note that in the description?

well, most places i've seen still list the old avanced hd pack. but about 2 months ago the switched to a new one, and it definitely comes with the cables. and though best buy carries it, i've never seen it on their site. it looks just like the monster cable one.

Monster cables are good.  but you mostly paying for the marketing.  Think of Bose.  I would say go with the chaep pair unless you have  high-def tv.

585370043[/snapback]

Lol like I recommended already.

Take my advice - Buy the 1st party xbox component wires.

It is not expensive, and it is a quality microsoft product.

buy that and a $10 optical cable, and you are set.

I use the MS HD pack, $ 20 bucks and i can't ask for more, they work excellent

480p, 720p, 1080i| Dolby digital, Dolby surround, DTS enable, what else do you want? why spend $ 50 or more just because it says Monster or Bose? a wire is a wire my friend!

I've had bad experiences with MadCatz products in the past and they always seem a bit too highley priced for what they are.

You won't get much argument from me there; MadCatz controllers are terrible. But it appears even they couldn't screw up a cable. :) It works well, only $15 CAN.