Mitsumi FA404A-BK 7-in-1 Flash/Floppy

(It was on my forums too)

I just got my new Mitsumi FA404A-BK today, after 2 months of waiting. Everyone wants these in Canada, and every online store is out of stock until just recently.

First of all, this is now it looks on my Coolermaster Cavalier 1.

post-67776-1106800355.jpg

I just installed it, and took a pic of my comp sitting on the desk behind me.

Installation was quite straightforward, connect the floppy IDE cable and power. Another cable comes out the back of the drive, which plugs into one of the internal USB 2.0 connectors. Although where the internal USB 2.0 connectors are arranged differently on different motherboards, the FA404A-BK's USB 2.0 connector goes upsidedown on my motherboard. Strange...

post-67776-1106800374.jpg

Yeah, the connector plugs upsidedown.

Other than that, it's very easy to use. The read/writing to floppy was much quieter than my old Panasonic floppy, and the flash card reader works flawlessly It reads Compact Flash, Microdrive, SmartMedia, and Secure Digital. This drive also support flash card-to-flash card data transfer, so if you have, say, a Compact Flash and a Secure Digital, you can transfer data between them without first going to the hard drive. Very fast, and no drivers are required for both operating systems I use on this machine, which includes both Windows XP Professional and Windows Millenium. The FA404A-BK appears as two flash readers under Windows.

post-67776-1106800391.jpg

Appears as two drives plus a floppy under Windows.

post-67776-1106800417.jpg

What? Occupies no more than a normal drive does.

In conclusion, this is one nice drive. Anyone should get one of these, they work very well and occupy only the space a normal floppy drive does. At $30CAD, it's not expensive at all, with all these great features. Except for the messed up internal USB connector, everything works well.

Rating: 9.5/10