IE dead --- help please

in the past week or so, the internet's seemed pretty slow for me, but only in IE. some sites wont load, (like Neowin--i get a DNS error. im using Opera right now to be here)

the problem is, it could be for a number of reasons.

1) last week i installed norton internet security, but i now have in uninstalled, so it shouldnt be that

2) internet tweaks using RegRobot, (but im here in Opera so...

3) the new IE patch...i wouldnt be surprised if this is the problem

4) an outside problem, maybe it's neowin, or my ISP or somethng coincidental, but again, im here in Opera

I'd say the easiest thing to do would be do a full reinstallation of IE,but it didnt quite seem to uninstall... how would i remove the new security fixes?

I cant sys restore back to before the tweaks, and i dont think thats the problem anyway.

pending all this, ill probably have to do a repair reinstall of windows, and pending THAT, either master Opera, or reformat...

can anyone offer any assistance? thanks

Insert your XP Pro CD and after the little options screen comes up, exit it. Click start, run & type sfc /scannow. That is what fixed it for me.

Originally posted by RaisinCain

Insert your XP Pro CD and after the little options screen comes up, exit it. Click start, run & type sfc /scannow. That is what fixed it for me.

you had the same type of DNS errors?

Originally posted by RaisinCain

i tried that, and my computer locked up on the boot screen, i had to boot in safe mode and do sys restore (luckily i backed up first)