[Poll] Political correctness.

Be as harsh as you wish, within rules of Neowin.  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Be as harsh as you wish, within rules of Neowin.

• Yes?
    • No?
    • I don't know!
    • I am thick. What is Political correctness?

Man I have had enough of this. Tell me what you think and give some 'true' examples for me to collect. Thank-you you great Neo-Pilgrims, oopps sorry if I offended you by calling you a Neo-Pilgrims, lol :|

What exactly do you mean with "politically correctness with Neowin rules"?

seems contradictory to me.

yet

whats the difference between "going off topic" in an interesting way - and making an entire thread "assaulting" someone or simply describing "the thread" ?

politically correct???

:huh:

What exactly do you mean with "politically correctness with Neowin rules"?

seems contradictory to me.

yet

whats the difference between "going off topic" in an interesting way - and making an entire thread "assaulting" someone"?

politically correct???

585369591[/snapback]

Not swearing, not abusing someone as they have a different opinion, no racist remarks, no sexist remarks etc...

KEEP IT CLEAN AT LEAST!

Not swearing, not abusing someone as they have a different opinion, no racist remarks, no sexist remarks etc...

KEEP IT CLEAN AT LEAST!

585369604[/snapback]

So, you think we should all be able to post racist and sexist remarks? How utterly pathetic and loathsome. If "political correctness" is necessary to keep racist and sexist rubbish out of Neowin and maintain a dignified atmosphere in the forum, then I fully support it. Why do you think it's appropriate for people to attack each other or be racist or sexist? Are you like this in real life, or is it a Walter Mitty-like personality that seizes control of your faculties when you're on the Internet?

If you don't like the perceived "political correctness" here, go somewhere else. No-one will miss you.

Oh, and is it really a good idea to include the road you live in as part of your "From" information?

Dear me. This place gets worse and worse.

Well during the xmas time this dec. there was some carolers here in downtown, that were singing Politically correct carols. I told them to :hug_guy: a tree, flipped them off and told them to get a life.

So, you think we should all be able to post racist and sexist remarks?? How utterly pathetic and loathsome.

585369873[/snapback]

You don't know what I think, don't make stupid assumptions, if you cannot work out what this thread is about, then i am not spending the rest of my evening explaining it to you.

I guess you voted for number 4

You go get yourself an Aluminum hat to stop the governments of the World from controling your mind.

Completely.

PC teaches and accomplishes nothing. Absolutely nothing. All it does is conceal, the words may not be there but the sentiments and thoughts certainly are. Overall, a poor, meaningless effort to create harmony. One cannot simply transform views by silencing them.

If "political correctness" is necessary to keep racist and sexist rubbish out of Neowin and maintain a dignified atmosphere in the forum, then I fully support it.

585369873[/snapback]

i agree with this bit...

..i did feel that the rest of the statement this quote came from was a bit of a personal attack and unnecessary though :no:

being politically correct is about choosing your words more carefully, regardless of your opinions.

things have changed over the last 50 years, there are words we used to use that are now considered socially unacceptable, but were used as part of everyday language years ago. for instance,

people with physical disabilities used to be referred to as 'cripples', people with learning disabilities used to be referred to as 'retards' and african people used to be referred to as 'negroes'.

i wouldn't dream of using any of these 3 words (except for the purposes of this post - obviously).

in these terms, being politically correct is a good thing, it's moving society forwards.

however....

...did you know that in schools and colleges we no longer play the game 'hang-man'?

it now has to be called 'hang-person'.

i feel that this is a bit extreme

:)

'Political-correctness' usually refers to overly anal things like always making a point to say 'native Americans' instead of 'Indians' and stuff like that. That i'm not a huge fan of, although if someone specifically requests that i stop calling them something i definitely will without question. But 'political-correctness' sometimes coincides with what you might call 'common sense'. Sometimes it's funny to make racial or religious jokes, for example, but there's definitely a time and place. Just because someone gets offended doesn't necessarily mean they're being anal and overly PC.

As far as Neowin's rules go, though... yeah, i do dislike them. I don't have any right to come here and start telling Neowin what to do, but i don't personally agree with them. I think they're pretty fascist, actually. You can't question the decisions of moderators, which is kind of lame. And the reason there are so many morons on Neowin is the fact that the administration won't allow people to tell morons when they're morons.

The one Neowin rule that i do agree with is the 'no spamming' rule, which i support absolutely and completely. Unfortunately, NOBODY ever enforces the no-spamming rule, because like 90% of all the posts on Neowin are just people posting 'lol ya me 2' and then moving on to the next thread without a second glance.

I don't think that Neowin should let up on its 'flame' rules because i'm a hostile person or because i'm a bigot or anything.... I just can't seem to justify the whole thought-police thing.

Again, i'm not trying to call the mods out or demand change, this is just my opinion, so....

i don't care about it. if you don't like my opinion then don't talk to me. if someone is acting up with me i beat him up so he shuts up.

I get the feeling some of you understand why i started it and some of have, how should I put it, 'got the wrong end of the stick'.

It has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with neowin, it's rules, it's members, or anyhting you write.

I don't undertsand why you think that it is to do with neowin, it's to do with society, the wide world outside your windows.

I started it as I was having a discussion about my fiance's work, we were talking about when she was a child, the same time as me, me being 11 months older than her and nursery rhymes she can and cannot have sung in her class, 1 for example is bah bah black sheep, living in the Countryside ourselves surrounded by farms and what not, it came up that a local farm has more than 1 black sheep, it has 2 which is rare as you hardly see them.

Back to bah bah black sheep, which was banned from being sung in British Schools as it was seen to be offensive to brown (black) people, for what reason we could not understand, herself being half-caste (mixed race) she now is told if a child requests this sung it has to be now bah bah 'rainbow sheep' as not to offend the one brown girl in her class.

To her and me we feel this is political correctness gone wrong. There are plenty of other examples, this is why i asked for people to put their examples down so we were going to collect all of the information, decipher if it's worth publishing it.

I cannot understand why some got it so wrong.

Thanks anyways for any replies I save.

o

I think i saw 'What exactly do you mean with "politically correctness with Neowin rules"?' and got confused about what you were talking about. I guess it would have helped if that guy knew how to use quotation marks, because he pretty much changed the entire meaning of what you said, but OK. :/

But i guess i explained myself OK in my first paragraph anyway, so i suppose it doesn't matter either way.

Well I could give you plenty of examples of in my country how bad in some cases it has become, it varies from person-to-person and country-to-country.

Someone did offend me as they behaved like they are smart, indeed they didn't bother to find my explanation and go for my jugular.

I also was not offended by a subtle threat they made either, I found it stupid, so they got a permanent ignore.

I hope people understand what i got at, ripgut gave a good example of what is going on and has been for the past 20 years.

When i was asked about within neowin rules, I didn't want people to write down racist comments, swear words etc, as in my society some of the so called correctness is causing racial and religious hatred, which is a bad thing.

Ohh well I didn't get enough information to collect and build upon anyway, i thought it might be a 'hot topic' amongst many people.

Lav if you pm me I will give a prime example I wont write down as reference to this discussion.

Yes. Its gone too far.

The Prince harry thing is the proof in the pudding.

I mean come on, a fancy dress costume, and he has to say sorry?

And when he does people still aren't happy?

D'argh! It's gone too far!

I don't mean to poke fun at other countries, but i personally think that America has the right idea when it comes to PC-type stuff. A lot of European people ridicule America for allowing things like hate speech and the KKK and stuff like that, but even though those things are horrible and it would be great if they just disappeared, i think they need to be allowed. Thought-policing is something that more and more European countries (and Canada and Australia, too) are getting into, and i just really don't think it should be up to the government to decide what's appropriate for people to talk about. When i hear things about the EU wanting to ban NAZI symbols and stuff, i just kind of have to shake my head. :/