Which edition of Windows XP are you running?

Which edition of Windows XP are you running?  

348 members have voted

1. 1. Which edition of Windows XP are you running?

• Windows XP Home Edition
    • Windows XP Professional
    • Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
    • Windows XP Media Center Edition

The number of users using Windows XP Professional AMAZES me.  The funny thing is I bet that at least 8 out of 10 of them doesn't use the added features PRO has over Home and at last 4 out of the 8 that doesn't even know the difference between PRO and Home.

585417011[/snapback]

thats because it comes pre installed on PC's, and most people using XP are obviously normal computer users that dont sit on it all day needing to use all the pro features.

a tip to all: if you have low ram, don't get XP :)

512+

thats because it comes pre installed on PC's, and most people using XP are obviously normal computer users that dont sit on it all day needing to use all the pro features.

512+

585417112[/snapback]

Thanks for the tip but I was able to put Windows xp pro sp2 with wmp 10 on a intel 100 mhz with 32 mb ram and a 1 gig hd.

512+

585417112[/snapback]

Most machines I have seen come pre-instaled with XP home unless you buying a business class machine.

Your "tip" is horrible. Windows XP will run on 128 MB of ram. It will not be happy about it but it will run. Windows XP runs fine on 256 MB of ram.

XP runs very well on my 64MB machine (formatted Windows 98 and installed XP Home two weeks ago).

It's not too slow really, especially as I only use it for scanning and Microsoft Office 2003. I even tried XP in virtual machine, got it to run with 28MB of RAM but it was extremely slow.

I have XP Home edition on my new computer which has a high specification (see spec below for further details). However, I run 98 on my ancient machine though which is p3 450, 64 mb ram - never use it much so never bother updating it.

The number of users using Windows XP Professional AMAZES me.  The funny thing is I bet that at least 8 out of 10 of them doesn't use the added features PRO has over Home and at last 4 out of the 8 that doesn't even know the difference between PRO and Home.

585417011[/snapback]

ROFL...

I'm always saying that...

I have make a joke to a mate...

He asked me a Home and I have tricked it to a PRO... :shifty:

He as it for 4 month actually and he never seen it again...

(PS: he now studing computers...)

What about that... a PC with no network (only dial-up) and only one CPU...

What on Hell he can do more with PRO???

XP Pro here, and have a Win2003 Server behind me, undomain. why server then, I use it to Broadcast MP3's to any or all computers, as well as File server for Downloads/backups. and in the other room the ohter 2 box's are XP Home

no use for a domain when 1 of the 3 Desktops can actually use a domain

*and to dht edude above, all are legal cept the server

XP Pro here, and have a Win2003 Server behind me, undomain. why server then, I use it to Broadcast MP3's to any or all computers, as well as File server for Downloads/backups. and in the other room the ohter 2 box's are XP Home

no use for a domain when 1 of the 3 Desktops can actually use a domain

*and to dht edude above, all are legal cept the server

585418161[/snapback]

Then if you have no use for a domain why are you using a Windows XP PRO on one of your machines?

Then if you have no use for a domain why are you using a Windows XP PRO on one of your machines?

585418582[/snapback]

People just like the name 'Professional' probably.

Also MCE and Tablet Edition are effectively Professional anyway but with some extra features and no domain support.

People just like the name 'Professional' probably.

Also MCE and Tablet Edition are effectively Professional anyway but with some extra features and no domain support.

585418686[/snapback]

Tho if you know what you are doing you can enable it

585417011[/snapback]

i know its over kill but yes I do use the major feature that pro has, Domain. My small domain here at home is my test bed for lots of different projects. And its much easier to handle user accounts, not to mention file shareing. Both of these you can do the basics of in home but pro is the way to go if you want control over them. IMHO.

Tho if you know what you are doing you can enable it

585418702[/snapback]

Yes but it also disables certain features in these programs.

i know its over kill but yes I do use the major feature that pro has, Domain. My small domain here at home is my test bed for lots of different projects. And its much easier to handle user accounts, not to mention file shareing. Both of these you can do the basics of in home but pro is the way to go if you want control over them. IMHO.

585418707[/snapback]

Then yes, you have a reason to use XP PRO. You are one of the few people who actually use the features pro offers compared to HOME.

have Pro on my desktop....Home on my notebook (Fedora on my older computer)

No difference to me regarding the XP computers