Zone Alarm Blocks MSN Audio?

Okay, whenever I want to use Audio on MSN, i usually just survive on the Windows Firewall for that time. However, is there a way round this? I have told Zone Alarm that MSN is safe, but it doesnt seem to have worked :/

Thanks,

Pete

Go to the firewall tab, click the main tab, click the custom button for internet zone security, scroll down until you see "allow incoming UDP ports" and enter the ports 1900 and 5000. Do the same for "allow incoming TCP ports".

I believe it's ports 1900 through 5000, not just those two... Because of the way UPnP is designed, an application uses a different port every time it connects.

Im not 100% sure about how UPnP works, but I think that it uses those two certain TCP/UDP ports to connect and then it has its own subset of ports. In anycase this page explains how to config the ICF firewall for UPnP and that port 1900 (along with port 2869, but that seems to be specifically used for ICF config) needs to be open for UPnP to work.

Well, I am deciding to stick with the MS Firewall, it seems good enough and blocked more errors than Zone Alarm did, although Zone Alarm blocked things the MS Firewall didnt i bet :p

Pete

ZoneAlarm doesn't block any incoming connections that the Windows Firewall wouldn't block anyway. The biggest benefit to using ZoneAlarm is outbound protection, just above on-screen alerts (which are possibly more of an annoyance than a benefit).