Idea - Taskbar Replacement

When you think about it the only major change to the windows taskbar recently was the startpane with xp, im sure with all the people here like moby, menge, objectdock team and y'z someone could come up with a more usable taskbar.

A taskbar with dock style animations in my opinion would be awsome, like new tasks sliding out and fading in dock styleee... and how about a new style task pane, or something completely different sliding up.

This idea just popped up when i was playing with photoshop, messing with one of Calming's screenshots on Ave's forums. ( sorry for steal - just used it to get idea across )

I came up with something like this as an alternative to the window grouping system ( which i dont think is ideal ).

Description Of Image Below :

When many programs are open you see these mini tab buttons on the mainbar, like u see in my pic, if u needed to know what each are u run mouse over them, they expand dock styleeee and show u their name, others can move to fit, and of course labels would be shown anyway if not that many programs were open on the taskbar.

Then the user clicks the firefox tab, and out pops ( slides.. fades.. spins... explodes ) another menu, that also moves dock style aka acording to mouse position it slides, allowing u to choose between the windows.

I only really attacked the grouping methods of the original taskbar in this pic, but im sure with all the neowin customization crew hundreds of ideas could be thought of to improve on the original taskbar.

Maybe if enough people think its a good idea, some legendary D3D coder cough*menge*cough*moby*etc*cough could have a stab at it?

Thanks for reading my stupidly long post :)

DayleRees?

post-83131-1107811168_thumb.jpg

i particularly like the idea of revamping the current windows taskbar (or overriding it in some way)...

how about people post here their ideas of how to improve the usability of the taskbar and we'll see if someone takes a stab at it :)

i particularly like the idea of revamping the current windows taskbar (or overriding it in some way)...

how about people post here their ideas of how to improve the usability of the taskbar and we'll see if someone takes a stab at it :)

585429898[/snapback]

i've always wanted floating tasks, free-floating taskbar buttons i can arrange on my desktop like my icons, that i can show/hide or arrange in a menu, etc.

I Like this idea , but if you make it transparent , only the background of taskbar not the icons etc. like Slate DVM

585430122[/snapback]

completely transparent taskbars are already possible with a little app called taskbar transparent, a little tool to manipulate the msstyles file. :)

Yeh as for the transparent thing, that was just the taskbar i was using as a base, of course this would be our taskbar and so would do anything, look like anything, and feel like anything we want.

Attatched is a copy of a replacement tray idea i just knocked up,

sorry for messy phtooshopism but the theme isnt really the point of it its just to show the idea.

The tray itself could slide fade spin twist jump bounce etc out when the button is pressed, OR for dreamz with his free floating fetish could just appear in the place it was last closed, completely free floating.

Piccyness :

(edited post and added in animated gif of the menu sliding open ( cos im weird ) )

post-83131-1107816339.gif

Edited by DayleRees

Attatchement :

A demo of what i meant by sliding buttons on the taskbar, made quickly and cheesily in VB, so you may need VB runtime files.

Flickers a bit and isnt exactly what i meant but its a littly idea, move mouse over the 2 items to see what happens.

Hope it explains a little :s

demo.zip

This could be a cool idea, if done correctly it could be possible to come up with a takbar that people would prefer to the current boring windows taskbar (which i know Dayle hates :yes: ). Getting the grouping correct would probably be difficult though.

Yeh as for the transparent thing, that was just the taskbar i was using as a base, of course this would be our taskbar and so would do anything, look like anything, and feel like anything we want.

Attatched is a copy of a replacement tray idea i just knocked up,

sorry for messy phtooshopism but the theme isnt really the point of it its just to show the idea.

The tray itself could slide fade spin twist jump bounce etc out when the button is pressed, OR for dreamz with his free floating fetish could just appear in the place it was last closed, completely free floating.

Piccyness :

(edited post and added in animated gif of the menu sliding open ( cos im weird ) )

585430312[/snapback]

That's a cool concept. It looks awesome.

yeh, but we'd have overall more control over this, id rather have a small skinable app doing all this that one of those big packages if u get what i mean, also the idea im getting here is a D3D accelerated taskbar, which would be cool, and fast, ie.. better than litestep ;)

meh, anything done in litestep can be easily manipulated through editing a text file. this could be done "cool and fast" in litestep. although i'm not sure what you mean by "cool".

i fail to see how having it be a separate app would give you more control. you'd be at the mercy of the app author.

well by cool of course i mean eye candy, this is after all the customization thread, to explain what i mean think of the docks we have available to use at the moment, mobys for instance is D3D accelerated, and moves swiftly and smoothly, with various type of animation. I'd love to see something like this come into play on a taskbar.

meh, anything done in litestep can be easily manipulated through editing a text file.  this could be done "cool and fast" in litestep.  although i'm not sure what you mean by "cool".

i fail to see how having it be a separate app would give you more control.  you'd be at the mercy of the app author.

585433170[/snapback]

Not everyone like "Litestep" :blink:

completely transparent taskbars are already possible with a little app called taskbar transparent, a little tool to manipulate the msstyles file. :)

585430141[/snapback]

The app you speak of makes the taskbar transparent while keeping the icons opaque? I searched google for 'taskbar transparent' but it was too vague. can you provide a link please? :)

DayleRees... where have i seen that before? Did you used to do MSN skins by any chance?

Btw excellent ideas, i love the tray idea, that would really save space and look cool :D

Coffeee

I always thought minimize to icon would be cool, since I usually use my desktop as a work surface (drag and drop open documents to it). I guess the mac bar is like that, sort of, but I'd like to be able to put the icons anywhere.

Oh, and the litestep right-click menus are the way to go. Taskbars + start panels suck.