Best Version Of Windows...

I used to have Windows ME instead of Longhorn and I am planning to switch back to ME (2k) but im just weighing up my other options first  :D

585430223[/snapback]

ME does NOT equal Windows 2000. Two completely different Operating Systems.

In 9x (not kidding) ME, i Have it runnig on my bros AMD K6-2 and i havent had one bsod

In NT besides xp, 2000 Pro

In servers, besides 2003, 2000 Advnced

585430366[/snapback]

And you have had blue screens with Windows 2000? Windows ME has been the WORST operating system for me. I immediately switched to Windows 2000 after I tried ME.

W2k

ME? was the worst thing MS ever did IMO. Worse than getting nailed for anti-trust.

W95 was a huge step in the right direction.

98 could have been avoided if MS went straight to NT (I think that is what XP to "Shorthorn" is trying to avoid)

NT was great

W2K? NT but better.

XP Refined W2K

585430378[/snapback]

I agree on your comment about ME, but Windows 98 was needed. It was the first OS that was based on FAT32 and its own software. It did not rely on DOS at all. It was (in its time) a very good OS.

Windows 98 was needed ...  It did not rely on DOS at all.

585430538[/snapback]

Incorrect, it very much relies (aka runs) on DOS just as Win95 and WinMe do. It is simply an updated version of Windows 95.

Windows 2000...

As for Windows ME - I bought the upgrade for it straight after it was released. I got it home and installed it straight away... it locked during the install. It pretty much signalled how things were going to be in the future. I eventually switched to 2000 and found it to be a joyous experience - better than XP, even. Saying that, I couldn't go back to it now.

Windows NT 4.0.

585430786[/snapback]

Uggh. You're crazy. Troubleshooting and configuring those things (especially with today's networks) is a pain in the ass.

Windows 2000 Pro without a doubt. The most stable version of Windows by far. I'd still be using 2000 if mainstream support for it didn't end in June.

Uggh.  You're crazy.  Troubleshooting and configuring those things (especially with today's networks) is a pain in the ass.

585430811[/snapback]

I've chosen it, because it is not that bloated like 98, ME, 2000, XP and Server 2003.

I've chosen it, because it is not that bloated like 98, ME, 2000, XP and Server 2003.

2000 was hardly bloated. What it added was a robust backbone and better configuration/driver support. Sure, it was slower than previous versions of Windows but it was worth the benefit of being an incredibly stable machine, even for 6 months+ at a time.

Myself I have tried them all from 3.1 to Xp pro apart from windows 2k, well I have used it but not for more than 3 hours.

XPpro sp2, nt4 then 3.1 in that order.

I'd have have to say

Win 2000 for stability

Win XP pro for functionality

Win 2003 for performance

585432799[/snapback]

XP har the same stability that 2000 offer, don't know why people think 2000 have better stability.

Windows 20003 is Windows XP with less resource hugging services etc, that a server OS doesn't need.

I think XP is the better one. XP is the first Windows that have been cleaned up properly since Windows 95. 98/ME and 2000 have just added features on top of things with no special planning IMO. With XP everything is very clean and well arranged.

Windows 2000 is Windows ME right?

585432770[/snapback]

Windows 2000 is built on NT kernel while Windows ME is built on 9x.

In other words, no ME is not 2000.

I'd have have to say

Win 2000 for stability

Win XP pro for functionality

Win 2003 for performance

585432799[/snapback]

...and Linux for life! Just kiddin, thought it fitted in there