DVD Sound Playback is Odd.

I am running a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro with Creative Labs Inspire 5.1 P5800 (4x 8w Satellites 1x 18w Centre Speaker and 1x 22w Subwoofer with Wired Remote - Total 72w) and I am trying to get a decent feedback from DVD's. I get a great sound when listening to ANY kind of music, but I can't seem to hear anyone talking during DVD playback, they are dround out by music/footsteps etc.

Any ideas what I need to change? I think I have tried everything, but evidently not. (WinDVD5 player by the way).

make sure you don't have CMSS or any other kind of stereo upconversion on. Also, check the volume of your center channel (if possible). The center channel is where most of the voices should wind up coming out of, so if you can't hear them, it's most likely an issue with it.

Oh, thanks bangbang. I thought I was in trouble there for a sec. What the hell use is CMSS then? It ruined that! It is set up by default, but it does say it's for DVD playback as it was set (CMSS2=DVD, CMSS=Music, Stereo Surround=Multi-speakers playing stereo)...

Oh, thanks bangbang. I thought I was in trouble there for a sec. What the hell use is CMSS then? It ruined that! It is set up by default, but it does say it's for DVD playback as it was set (CMSS2=DVD, CMSS=Music, Stereo Surround=Multi-speakers playing stereo)...

585443287[/snapback]

CMSS is only useful who wishes to get their stereo music out of more of their speakers, but even then, it throws off the treble/bass balance. As for improving DVD quality and such, it's as useful as the "surround" option in a 20" TV. Does nothing but enhance the wrong sounds.